Super Bowl - Chiefs: Dreams And Nightmares

Started by MDS, January 29, 2023, 10:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

has a team with a defensive TD ever lost a SB? 

this is not a shot at jalen and really its not even about him it could be anyones fumble but the fact is you can bitch about the refs gannon the field special teams etc.   the bottom line is they lost the game the second they gave the other team a free touchdown

also me an lil guy talked about this non stop when it happened but sirriani turning into a bitch at the worst possible time after being crazy aggressive all season was terrible
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

Think the Falcons had one. Not a good team to emulate.

PhillyPhreak54

Pretty much agree with everyone across the board.

Sirianni punting and losing the aggressiveness
Gannon pissing down his leg in the 2H
The Chiefs negating the pass rush with misdirection and quick throws
Not checking Mahomes despite his ankle and letting him scramble freely

I mean just a gut wrenching loss. Like it took a piece out of me to where I need some time to recover. The season was fun. Ripping off a ton of wins. Toss in the Phillies WS run and I'm spent from the last three months.

General_Failure

The real kicker about that penalty isn't that it was iffy, because when they show the actual hold and not the three seconds later part that they replayed constantly you see him with a handful of jersey just yanking on it, it was that they'd have been in a better position to do something if they'd let the Chiefs score there.

The man. The myth. The legend.

MDS

Quote from: General_Failure on February 13, 2023, 05:16:46 PM
The real kicker about that penalty isn't that it was iffy, because when they show the actual hold and not the three seconds later part that they replayed constantly you see him with a handful of jersey just yanking on it, it was that they'd have been in a better position to do something if they'd let the Chiefs score there.

ive thought about this too...why are you even trying to hook him there? if he gets over the top of you let him just go. the one thing that was going to destroy them there was a penalty. they couldve got a first and i remember saying either stop them or let them score. a first ends it...sure enough
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

It was the perfect cherry to top off the shtein sundae the defense put together in the second half.

The man. The myth. The legend.

AshishPatel81

I don't know if the fumble TD cost the Eagles the game. I think people have been extrapolating that play directly with how everything played out after that, and are just assuming because the Eagles got a stop and scored at the end of the half, the same thing would've happened if Hurts didn't fumble.

A couple things about that play. Hurts was toast either way. if he doesn't fumble he's either tackled for a mega loss or throws it away and the Eagles either punt or go for it on 4th down. There's so many variables, everyone's assuming that if not for the fumble that drive ends in points for the Eagles. It wasn't like he fumbled the ball on the Chiefs 10 yard line. Maybe the Eagles would've ultimately scored on that drive w/o the fumble, just saying the alternative outcome sans fumble on that possession is far from certain.

And give them the benefit of the doubt. Say they do score and go up 21-7. The Chiefs have been great under Mahomes at coming back from big deficits. For all we know, the Chiefs buckle down, get a TD drive right before the half to make it 21-14, and then tie it up on the first drive in the 3rd 21-21.

Look, that fumble was farging huge. But I don't think it was a game decider by any means. The Eagles were up 10 at the half even with that and lost. Only two teams in Super Bowl history have blown double digit halftime leads. Falcons were one in SB LI. Eagles were the other last night. That game was lost because you were physically dominated by a team you needed to physically dominate to win for the entire 2nd half. The Chiefs beat the Eagles at their own game. In the trenches.

Don Ho

Quote from: AshishPatel81 on February 13, 2023, 09:09:11 PM
And give them the benefit of the doubt. Say they do score and go up 21-7. The Chiefs have been great under Mahomes at coming back from big deficits. For all we know, the Chiefs buckle down, get a TD drive right before the half to make it 21-14, and then tie it up on the first drive in the 3rd 21-21.

Look, that fumble was farging huge. But I don't think it was a game decider by any means. The Eagles were up 10 at the half even with that and lost. Only two teams in Super Bowl history have blown double digit halftime leads. Falcons were one in SB LI. Eagles were the other last night. That game was lost because you were physically dominated by a team you needed to physically dominate to win for the entire 2nd half. The Chiefs beat the Eagles at their own game. In the trenches.

A.  Where the farg have you been?

B.  Spot on brother!  Great summary.  The birds were beaten like drums on the D Line and the Chiefs may have given up 35 points but they were so much more physical than the birds on D.  Eagles had two hard hits, Hargrave and CJG, that was it.  All I saw was a D Line getting manhandled.

C. Eagles O Line was OK, Hurts two sacks were coverage sacks and yes they couldn't generate much of a rush game but they did fine.

D. Kiss my ass Sipuss. 

E. Gannon please stay in Glendale.

F. Patrick Mahomes, whatcha gonna do?

Good God, birds have faced Tom Brady twice and Mahomes once in Super Bowls the past 19 years.  Lost two of them by 3 points and won one.  Unfortuantely one we had the bedwetter and the other a clueless DC.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Forced myself to watch the replay.  Only watched first half.  Holy shtein, you watch that half only and you are feeling so good.  Yes, Mahomes is Captain Comeback but the birds were rolling.  Unfortunatley the second half happened.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

The emotions have been up and down all day.  I'm old guys and I guess I've become jaded with all the Phillies, Birds, Bums, Flyers heartbreak sine 1971.  I'm pissed but I'll be ok. SB XV, Buddy Ryan and those beautiful playoff performances, Last game at the Vet, Sixers 1977 blowing 2-0 lead to Blazers, Joe Carter, 1977 & 78 NLCS losses to the Dodgers, Lot of deep pain and suffering.

This old fart has seen one Super Bowl, two World Series, One NBA championship, and two Stanley Cups (I was 12 and living in Hawaii, imagine NHL coverage back than across the Pacific).  I hope you all don't have to wait decades between titles and you get your share of championship memories and parades. 

This one will eventually hit me, I'm sure.

ice grillin you

Quote from: AshishPatel81 on February 13, 2023, 09:09:11 PM
I don't know if the fumble TD cost the Eagles the game. I think people have been extrapolating that play directly with how everything played out after that, and are just assuming because the Eagles got a stop and scored at the end of the half, the same thing would've happened if Hurts didn't fumble.

A couple things about that play. Hurts was toast either way. if he doesn't fumble he's either tackled for a mega loss or throws it away and the Eagles either punt or go for it on 4th down. There's so many variables, everyone's assuming that if not for the fumble that drive ends in points for the Eagles. It wasn't like he fumbled the ball on the Chiefs 10 yard line. Maybe the Eagles would've ultimately scored on that drive w/o the fumble, just saying the alternative outcome sans fumble on that possession is far from certain.

its really really hard to win an october game against an average team giving free points....its evennharder against patrick mahomes in october...virtually impossible in the superbowl and impossible against patrick mahomes in the sb...did it lose the game in that sense that it happened in a tie with a minute left, no....did other things happen in the game that contributed to the loss, sure.  But they simply were not winning that game if they gave up a defensive score and in the end that 7 pts was the difference 
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I feel worse today than yesterday.

They farging had it.

NC_Eagle

Quote from: Don Ho on February 14, 2023, 05:31:20 AM
Forced myself to watch the replay.  Only watched first half.  Holy shtein, you watch that half only and you are feeling so good.  Yes, Mahomes is Captain Comeback but the birds were rolling.  Unfortunatley the second half happened.

Yeah there was a guy here who went to bed at halftime because he had early morning and thought the Eagles had it in the bag. Woke up looked at the final score and was like "WTF happened?".

Guess if you have to lose a close game is better than a blowout. I was stationed in San Diego the year they were blown up by the 49ers in the SB. You could almost taste the disappointment in the air the next morning.
Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad.

Don Ho

AJ Brown saying when birds settled for a FG to go up 27-21 he knew it was over.  Heard somewhere he was pissed off he wasnt used more. 

GREAT piece on NFL Live by Dan Orlovsky on the play that set up the fourth down which lead to the Toney punt return.  Horrible play call on 3rd and 2, birds call a pass play that blows up.  Miss communication on O Line, Willie Gay not picked up and he forces Hurts to throw it away.  Brown was wide open BUT staff crucified for not having Hurts sneak it twice for two yards.

Don Ho