What concerns you most about this team leading into week 2?

Started by WEST is GOD, September 15, 2005, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What concerns you most about this team?

Offensive line
11 (28.9%)
Lack of running game
16 (42.1%)
McNabb's chest bruise
8 (21.1%)
Akers' 2 missed FGs
0 (0%)
other
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

WEST is GOD

For me it has to be the lack of running game. I think part of the reason why Mcnabb was pounded all night because because the team passed every down. I don't know if it's as important as it was last week to get a running game, because the Niners stink, but it's definitely something that needs to happen sooner or later.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

pinoyboy2pt0

I said O-line because running the ball (that's right Andy...you can RUN the ball too!) is just a playcalling thing that falls mainly on Red.  Hicks getting his jock handed to him is more than that.  To be 'fair', Hicks was going up against a very good DT and the story might have been different if we ran the ball.  Even if we run the ball 40% of the time, that means Hicks still has to pass block 60% of the time.  It's hard to tell with San Fran (being sucky last year anyway)...bc we can probably play a C game and look like it was our A game. 

Who will Hicks be facing?  I guess no one really since they are 3-4, but I'm guessing he'll see some Young and Andrews/Runyan will see some Peterson?  Or am I flip flopping Peterson...he's an ROLB right?

All I know is that Hicks got ABUSED in the super bowl.  So much so that the Pats were like, "Who's is their Guard?...I don't know...He's HORRIBLE!"  ...but...again...he was going up vs Seymour.
Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No pro bowl WR's.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Retarded special teams.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  "I've got to do a better job."  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Running game shines for 3 plays. Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No adjustments anywhere.  Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  (repeat)

GIEFF

Quote from: Avenger on September 15, 2005, 11:21:56 PM
For me it has to be the lack of running game. I think part of the reason why Mcnabb was pounded all night because because the team passed every down. I don't know if it's as important as it was last week to get a running game, because the Niners stink, but it's definitely something that needs to happen sooner or later.

Atlanta has a monster D, and you should have more success at home against the niners, but to say we suck based on last year is being too dismissive.  We lost our best player (JP) and our 2 starting corners for almost the whole year, not to mention tons of injuries at other positions. 

Last week we held Stephen Jackson to just 3.2 yards per carry (compare with 5.0 ypc last season).  We also just happen to have the top 2 sack leaders in the NFL (no ties, legit #1 and #2).  Our offense is probably no match for your defense, but to overlook our defense is a mistake.

WEST is GOD

Quote from: GIEFF on September 15, 2005, 11:33:03 PM
Quote from: Avenger on September 15, 2005, 11:21:56 PM

Atlanta has a monster D, and you should have more success at home against the niners, but to say we suck based on last year is being too dismissive.  We lost our best player (JP) and our 2 starting corners for almost the whole year, not to mention tons of injuries at other positions. 

Last week we held Stephen Jackson to just 3.2 yards per carry (compare with 5.0 ypc last season).  We also just happen to have the top 2 sack leaders in the NFL (no ties, legit #1 and #2).  Our offense is probably no match for your defense, but to overlook our defense is a mistake.

It's not a mistake for me, it would be a mistake for the team. But if you know anything about the Eagles, is they never overlook teams. Andy won't let them.

GIEFF

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20030908_TB@PHI

Tampa Bay finished 7-9.

EDIT:

Also thought I'd bring up this game, you guys gave up 148 yards to Jackson until he left the game...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041227_PHI@STL

WEST is GOD

That was week 1, coming into the season the Bucs were #1 ranked. The Eagles didn't overlook them, they just got outplayed. You can lose a game without overlooking a team.

MDS

Quote from: GIEFF on September 15, 2005, 11:48:33 PMEDIT:

Also thought I'd bring up this game, you guys gave up 148 yards to Jackson until he left the game...

Yea that makes sense. Since it was basically a preseason game.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Larry

McNabb.

I've noticed a trend with him since, I'd say, the Dallas game.  One, he's looking for the home-run ball too much, and two, he's become overly reliant on Owens.  As a result, he's taken a lot of unnecessary hits -- he's fumbled in 8 of his last 9 games -- and he's become much more cavalier with his passing:  I've seen some uncharacteristcally risky throws from him.
More Mahe please.

General_Failure

You mean like the Favrian underhand toss to LJ? I cringed when I saw that.

The man. The myth. The legend.

GIEFF

Quote from: MDS on September 16, 2005, 12:39:32 AM
Quote from: GIEFF on September 15, 2005, 11:48:33 PMEDIT:

Yea that makes sense. Since it was basically a preseason game.

Ah, good call.  I forgot they stopped playing their starters after they locked up home-field.

bobbyinlondon

I Ican only point to Reid's history. When we have a game we lose because we pass too much (Patriots 2003), he usually comes out the next game and runs the ball down the opponents' throats (Buffalo).

Feva

It's gotta be the lack of running game.  Think about it... if you take care of the run, the other concerns fall into place.  I know I'm talking football 101 here, but you run the ball, you slow up the pass rush a little bit since the D-line's not pinning their ears back...making the O-line look and perform alot better.

You've gotta have balance...
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PhillyGirl

Quote from: bobbyinlondon on September 16, 2005, 03:25:11 AM
I Ican only point to Reid's history. When we have a game we lose because we pass too much (Patriots 2003), he usually comes out the next game and runs the ball down the opponents' throats (Buffalo).

Actually, the ratio of passing to running was the same the game before that Pats game, vs. the Bucs. It took TWO games of embarrassment for Reid to change to running the ball.

The run game has ALWAYS been the concern for me. That hasn't changed.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

I don't know how the answer could be anything but the offensive line.

They are also greatly responsible for the lack of running game, the hit on McNabb, and the need to have Akers attempt two 49-yarders in the first place.  The offensive line was looking like 2003 again... underperforming.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: FFatPatt on September 16, 2005, 07:48:22 AM
I don't know how the answer could be anything but the offensive line.

They are also greatly responsible for the lack of running game, the hit on McNabb, and the need to have Akers attempt two 49-yarders in the first place.  The offensive line was looking like 2003 again... underperforming.

the lack of running game was because reid only called 13 running plays.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen