What concerns you most about this team leading into week 2?

Started by WEST is GOD, September 15, 2005, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What concerns you most about this team?

Offensive line
11 (28.9%)
Lack of running game
16 (42.1%)
McNabb's chest bruise
8 (21.1%)
Akers' 2 missed FGs
0 (0%)
other
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

PoopyfaceMcGee

You're always here defending Reid when his pass-happy playcalling works.  The run looked like crap when they did do it, save for some lucky breaks with Westbrook finding a hole.  Running more would really not have helped, because the O-Line was NOT winning the battle at the point of attack.  As those who have watched the tape pointed out, McNabb had receivers open, and he either didn't look their way or couldn't hit them accurately.  I blame the O-Line for not protecting him well enough for most of the game, but blaming McNabb would be fair too, depending on how you look at it.

The Falcons were smart.  They stuffed the line and brought extra people, knowing it would take out our run game and rattle McNabb.  They did, because our offensive line was outmatched.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: FFatPatt on September 16, 2005, 10:52:31 AM
You're always here defending Reid when his pass-happy playcalling works.  The run looked like crap when they did do it, save for some lucky breaks with Westbrook finding a hole.  Running more would really not have helped, because the O-Line was NOT winning the battle at the point of attack.  As those who have watched the tape pointed out, McNabb had receivers open, and he either didn't look their way or couldn't hit them accurately.  I blame the O-Line for not protecting him well enough for most of the game, but blaming McNabb would be fair too, depending on how you look at it.

The Falcons were smart.  They stuffed the line and brought extra people, knowing it would take out our run game and rattle McNabb.  They did, because our offensive line was outmatched.

What? In 2003, I was BLASTING Reid for his lack of run plays. As a matter of fact, the line

QuoteMakes it real easy for a defense to make an oline look like shtein when the playcalling is as predictable as it was.

was posted by me maybe 100 times after weeks one and 2 of that year.

I have ALWAYS wanted more of a run game. ALWAYS.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

more of a run game with no FB to speak of and against an 8-man front = no hope to move down the field

MadMarchHare

I understand, from his press conference, what Reid was trying to do.  Use short to medium passes to slow down the rush, since they were on record as saying they wanted to pressure McNabb.  Two problems arose - McNabb couldn't hit a stationary bus on Monday night, and we kept looking deep.  The OLine got overwhelmed, and played particularly zesty, so McNabb got hammered early and often.
Anyone but Reid.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyGirl on September 30, 2003, 10:36:16 AM
Reid made questionable calls?

Oh, so giving your #1 RB the ball ONCE in 2 games is questionable?

Its atrocious. We didn't run the ball at ALL in either game...therefore defenses saw that, and bum rushed Mcnabb all day long KNOWING he was going to throw and that we weren't going to run.

::)

QuoteRe:Rush Limbaugh on McNabb...SICKENING!
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2003, 10:02:13 AM »

No, its ALWAYS been an issue. After 3 years, teams KNOW that its throw first, run later (if ever). It was only a matter of time before coaches GAMEPLANNED against that. 

You're reaching if you actually think Koy would have done better in that game, if Reid continued to call the same plays. He wouldn't have even had a CHANCE to get rid of that ball. The oline was awful and McNabb had zero time to do shtein most of the time.

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

Right.  In early 2003, when McNabb had his thumb injury and was playing like shtein, and when the team had Duce Staley, Correll Buckhalter, and Brian Westbrook, with Jon Ritchie lead-blocking, Chad at TE, and Thrash as the #1 receiver... EVERYONE thought the Eagles should have been running more.

On Monday night, the team had no power runner that knew the offense, no decent fullback, a glorified WR at TE, and a much bigger threat in the #1 WR spot.

Hate to tell you this, but this team is not built to run the ball anymore.  At all.

Wingspan

Quote from: PhillyGirl on September 16, 2005, 08:44:09 AM
Actually, they don't.

Reid called 13 run plays.

Period.

see the broncos

the running game starts with the oline. no RB in the league can run behind a crappy o-line (not saying the eagles fall into the crappy part)

in fact the eagles entire philosophy on both sides of the ball starts with the lines.

and the eagles weaknesses have been exposed when facing a 3-4. it's not a coincidence that the cowboys implemented it, along with a few other teams.

for an expienced o-line, they played like total Hoydas on monday, and they were my biggest reason as to why they lost the game...starting with the penalties

1st quarter
Quote1st and 10 at PHI 18   (9:42) D.McNabb pass to G.Lewis to PHI 28 for 10 yards (A.Rossum, K.Brooking).       
1st and 10 at PHI 28   (9:05) PENALTY on PHI-A.Hicks, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PHI 28 - No Play.       
1st and 15 at PHI 23   (8:45) D.McNabb pass to T.Owens pushed ob at PHI 27 for 4 yards (D.Hall).       
   PENALTY on PHI-A.Hicks, Illegal Formation, 5 yards, enforced at PHI 23 - No Play.       
1st and 20 at PHI 18   (8:24) D.McNabb pass intended for T.Owens INTERCEPTED by D.Hall at ATL 28. D.Hall to PHI 34 for 38 yards (A.Hicks).

2nd Quarter

QuotePhiladelphia Eagles at 7:26   PHI   ATL
1st and 10 at ATL 38   (7:26) D.McNabb sacked at ATL 45 for -7 yards (R.Coleman).       
   Penalty on PHI-S.Andrews, Offensive Holding, declined.A guy gets held, and makes the sack?

4th Quarter

QuotePhiladelphia Eagles at 7:48   PHI   ATL
1st and 10 at ATL 49   (7:48) D.McNabb pass incomplete to T.Owens.       
2nd and 10 at ATL 49   (7:43) D.McNabb pass incomplete to T.Owens.       
   Timeout #2 by PHI at 07:36.       
3rd and 10 at ATL 49   (7:36) PENALTY on PHI-A.Hicks, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 49 - No Play.       
3rd and 15 at PHI 46   (7:36) (Shotgun) D.McNabb pass incomplete to G.Lewis.       
   Penalty on PHI-T.Thomas, Illegal Formation, decli

and that just the penalties on drives that were more than just 3 and outs.

the eagles had 18 first downs.
3/12 on 3rd down conversions

they faced 2nd and long(over 10) (reid likes to run mostly on 2nd down) 3 times naturally, and  3 times by penalty on second down.

the line just flat out stunk, which caused the most trouble the whole game.

the oline is my biggest concern, i am not very confident in the left side at all.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Wingspan on September 16, 2005, 11:06:58 AM
the line just flat out stunk, which caused the most trouble the whole game.

the oline is my biggest concern, i am not very confident in the left side at all.

Shut up, man.  Obviously, the O-Line would have been stellar had Reid run Westbrook into the 8 man fronts for zero gain at least 5-10 more times.  That would have totally made them back off on passing downs.  Totally.

Eagles 3x

So...
the O-line sucks and we can't run the ball so Andy doesn't call for running plays.
Or...
Andy doesn't call for running plays 'cuz the O-line sucks and we can't run the ball.
Or..
We can't run the ball so Andy doesn't call for running plays 'cuz the O-line sucks.
I'm confused.
All I know is I got it right! I'm most concerned about McNabbs chest bruise.
And its all Andy's fault.
No wait, its the O-lines fault.
No, its the running game.
Damn, I've got a headache, I need my pills.
member since Aug. 21, 03. I am the KING of the Lurking Bastiches!!

PhillyGirl

Yes, that's what I'm saying FF.  ::)

I'll keep my opinion the same. Reid's playcalling blew, the line played like shtein and so did McNabb.

However, I think Reid's playcalling might have altered the play of the other 2 had he mixed it up. The Defense knew what was coming.

MURP

When McNabb decides to actually play like a pro bowl QB, teams wont be able to blitz every down because they will be picked apart.  In turn, the running game then opens up. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

The defense just didn't care if the run was coming.  No threat there because of the stacked alignment.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MURP on September 16, 2005, 11:12:40 AM
When McNabb decides to actually play like a pro bowl QB, teams wont be able to blitz every down because they will be picked apart.  In turn, the running game then opens up. 

*ding*  Pass sets up the run in this offense, not vice versa.

SunMo

Quote from: MURP on September 16, 2005, 11:12:40 AM

decides?  you think he woke up on monday and decided NOT to play like an all-pro quarterback? 
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Larry

Didn't Jaws say we should've scored 30 points w/ better execution (since Owens was open all day according to him)?  Playcalling was fine.
More Mahe please.