2018 Off Season Thread (First One As Super Bowl Champions)

Started by ice grillin you, February 28, 2018, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

it wont help them get to the cap because trading a player is the same as releasing a player in that if the eagles traded curry they would be free of all future base salaries but would still be cap responsible for the bonus money that has already been paid and the still remaining bonus pro rations count against the cap that year

its not like trading him takes away his 11 million dollar hit while releasing him would be 6 mil dead money

also the team acquiring him in a trade are obviously on the hook for his remaning base salary which i believe is over 20 million for the next two years...i cant see anyone paying him that much less giving up something to pay him that

i think its all but a certainty hes released
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

Right, you have to be under the cap by 4PM EDT March 14, which is when the trading window begins. For the same reason, designating someone as a post-June 1 cut doesn't help for this. Both can help you stay under the cap as you make other signings, but don't help to get under the cutoff on Day 1 of the league year.

SD

Quote from: Diomedes on March 06, 2018, 11:34:08 AM
Quote from: AO1 on March 06, 2018, 10:06:20 AM
Smith/Celek cut gets them close to the cap. Curry is either traded (long shot), restructured, or is cut...that's an additional $5 million.

I read something along the lines of, a trade won't help them get to the cap because the deadline for being under the cap is also the opening of the trade window, so even if you have a trade lined up, first you gotta be below the cap.

I'd love to see the Eagles get something for Curry but they farged themselves with his contract.  Everyone knows they Eagles aren't going to keep him, and no one wants that contract, so it seems that the only way he gets traded is if:  a.) it's known that multiple teams are seriously interested in him and b.) one of them is so interested that they're willing to jump the line by offering the Eagles something before he's cut, and finally c.) said team would have to be somewhere that Curry wants to play and is willing to re-negotiate his contract with upon arrival.    Does that seem about right?

Whoever gets him is gonna be happy.  He's no super star, but he's damn good all around.

Agreed all around. Best case scenario would be he agrees to restructure his deal so they can defer money further down the line. Curry's a perfect rotation player and the versatility to move him inside on passing downs cannot be overstated. Usually I'm against deferring money for players I don't think will be around long term but this is a SB team so I agree strike while iron is hot. They're eating the $6 million one way or another.

MDS

Quote from: AO1 on March 06, 2018, 10:54:28 AM
They still need a back up TE

billy brown will get a real chance to make the 53....not a bad position to draft, too. i cant see them spending much in FA on tight end should celek retire
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Zanshin

Quote from: MDS on March 06, 2018, 01:25:28 PM
Quote from: AO1 on March 06, 2018, 10:54:28 AM
They still need a back up TE

billy brown will get a real chance to make the 53....not a bad position to draft, too. i cant see them spending much in FA on tight end should celek retire

Obviously. If they were going to spend, it would be easier to bring back their second favorite Super Bowl LII touchdown thrower.

Rome

Re the 2 for Foles... He's a Super Bowl champion in the prime of his career.  If someone offered me a two for him, I'd laugh and then tell the bonehead to lose my number. 

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

foles isnt being traded for a 2 now...if they get blown away with like a 1 and a 3 theyd do it...otherwise you hold on to him and wait for phil rivers to tear an acl during camp and for san diego to get desperate.

if this doesnt happen at the deadline you can unload him for a 3 or something. well worth the risk. and also the knowledge that you have a very good backup and your franchise qb is coming back from a shredded acl.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

According to Adam Caplan/ESPN, Celek plans to keep playing.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Quote from: Diomedes on March 06, 2018, 05:36:51 PM
According to Adam Caplan/ESPN, Celek plans to keep playing.

Hopefully he plans on playing for a lot less. Or he'll be playing back in Cincinnati.

Diomedes

I love the guy but he's not getting a starting TE position in the NFL.  He knows this, he must.  I have to believe if he thinks he's playing, it's with the Eagles, for whatever they'll pay him.

General_Failure

Maybe he'll go back up his brother for a couple years.

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on March 06, 2018, 08:35:57 PM
I love the guy but he's not getting a starting TE position in the NFL.

he might not get an offer at all

Rome

Got the LII video on Amazon.  Its very good.  Nice surprise at the end.  I still cant believe they finally won it all. 

ice grillin you

mcshay 3.0

32. Philadelphia Eagles
D.J. Chark, WR, LSU

The Super Bowl champions have the luxury of drafting for value, for a roster without many holes. Chark is a raw route-runner but has the tools to develop. His stock is on the rise after a great Senior Bowl week and combine workout, punctuated with a 4.34 40 and 40-inch vertical jump. He could fill Torrey Smith's role as an explosive vertical WR in the future.