Around The NFL - 2014

Started by PhillyPhreak54, January 03, 2014, 06:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

I too like to use Bill O'Reilly to strengthen my arguments.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

Run far far away from Redneckville!

General_Failure

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 15, 2014, 09:37:58 PM
Run far far away from Redneckville!

It's too late for both of us, I'm afraid.

MDS

nothing like going to americas rageaholic grandpa for support
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Louisana is the southern voice of reason?

General_Failure

They'll be damned if they're going to celebrate a loser.

PhillyPhreak54

They may not even know who he is. Cajuns just wanna shrimp and make jambalaya

Geowhizzer

They're not really noted around where I live - maybe state buildings are closed.  Then again, I live in an area of Florida where the vast majority of the people that live here have northern roots.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 15, 2014, 07:29:12 PM
haha.....sarge got hooked hard....dont let him reel you in sergeant!!

Lol. I saw that you bailed on it. Probably because you had something better to do. Unfortunately, I didn't.

Rome

Quote from: General_Failure on May 15, 2014, 09:59:22 PM
They'll be damned if they're going to celebrate a loser.

They celebrate it.  You just can't hear them because they have brown paper bags over their heads when they do it.

ice grillin you

it seems like 10% of the roads in virginia are named after lee
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Geowhizzer

Of course, after all the stuff I said earlier - I work in Lee County (named in 1887).  There have been a few calls to re-name it, but nothing that's really taken root.  The old people down here are too busy getting sunburned, playing golf and hitting the early bird specials.

Diomedes

Lee was a genuinely remarkable man.  It doesn't upset me that folks in the slave states lionize him as much as some of the other people they honor.  There are, for example, two cities named after Preston Brooks (one in Florida, the other in Alabama,) who was remarkable only for his cowardice. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on May 16, 2014, 07:59:56 AM
Lee was a genuinely remarkable man.  It doesn't upset me that folks in the slave states lionize him as much as some of the other people they honor.  There are, for example, two cities named after Preston Brooks (one in Florida, the other in Alabama,) who was remarkable only for his cowardice.

I always found it an interesting development that Brooks died within a year from the caning of Senator Sumner.  Great example of "southern gentleman."

And I agree about Lee - his decision to leave the U.S. army and take on the mantle of the Confederacy was a hard one for him to make, and based on the principle (held by many from the "Virginia aristocracy," including Washington, Jefferson and Madison) that his first loyalty was to his state.  When Virginia seceded, Lee felt bound by honor to follow his state, even though he had opposed the move. 

Lee also tried to promote reconciliation after the war and supported Johnson's Reconstruction plan, which bore more resemblance to Lincoln's, as opposed to the Radical Republicans.  On the surface, the Republican's plan was more about rights, but in fact was mainly based on trying to punish the south and to retain its own power base in Washington (though there were, indeed, a few "conscious Radicals" who truly believed in civil rights for the former slaves). 

Once the election of 1876 was thrown into controversy (over Florida's vote totals, to the surprise of all here), the Republican party was quick to abandon both Reconstruction and the firm backin of civil rights for the freedmen, in order to retain the power of the presidency.  The Democratic Party actually wouldn't get back into the White House until Cleveland's first win in 1884 (the next Democrat after Cleveland's two separate terms was Wilson in 1912).

smeags

so this sport called football is pretty cool.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it