Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smeags

question for the "bookers" - should i bother with book 4 or can i just read the summary and go right to book 5 ?
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Diomedes

that's a question for yourself.

they are both rather tedious, frankly.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagles_Legendz

I like 5 much better than 4.  I re-read a few chapters from 5 that I forgot about which I genuinely enjoy.

rjs246

Every single one of the ASOIAF books are tedious as shtein. Each is 800+ pages with about 650 pages of build-up and descriptions of people's meals / small clothes. That 150 pages of action and intrigue, though, usually make it worth the effort. Usually.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

pretty much anyone i ask says 5 is much better. considering the books happen at the same time i figured i'd just read the summary of 4 and go right to 5.

rjs246

Why even bother reading them if you aren't actually going to read them?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

would i miss that much of the story by not reading all of 4 ? i could always go back to it after reading 5 as we all wait until 2080 when book 6 comes out.

rjs246

I haven't read the fourth book, but there is seriously no way I would ever read the first three books of a series, skip the fourth, and then pick up with the fifth. Makes absolutely no sense.

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

That makes sense if you're reading for the joy of reading and not to study up on what's going to happen on a television show.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: smeags on June 17, 2014, 12:30:23 PM
would i miss that much of the story by not reading all of 4 ? i could always go back to it after reading 5 as we all wait until 2080 when book 6 comes out.

The fourth and fifth books happen concurrently.  80% of the way through Dance (book 5) they sync again.

If you're going to read the books I'd recommend reading them both. 

My biggest problem is Martin got a little full of himself and world building after book 3.  So for the first time in the series you don't have a relatively finite list of POV characters throughout the whole book.  Instead you get, in addition, a handful of characters who get like two chapters. 

It's also somewhat disorienting because the first three books have such a heavy Lannister / Stark focus to spend so much time with the Martells (who are at least somewhat interesting) and the Greyjoys (who aren't).

smeags

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on June 17, 2014, 01:26:56 PM
Quote from: smeags on June 17, 2014, 12:30:23 PM

The fourth and fifth books happen concurrently.  80% of the way through Dance (book 5) they sync again.

If you're going to read the books I'd recommend reading them both. 

My biggest problem is Martin got a little full of himself and world building after book 3.  So for the first time in the series you don't have a relatively finite list of POV characters throughout the whole book.  Instead you get, in addition, a handful of characters who get like two chapters. 

It's also somewhat disorienting because the first three books have such a heavy Lannister / Stark focus to spend so much time with the Martells (who are at least somewhat interesting) and the Greyjoys (who aren't).

alright, looks like i'll be reading both. i guess if i can get through tolkien's work, especially silmarillion i can get through 4 without banging my head against the wall.

Munson

I've heard a lot about the Greyjoys not being interesting...any particular reason why? Is it because their story doesn't seem like it'll have a major roll in the overall story?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Zanshin

The Greyjoys have a generic white roll that you could find anywhere, whereas the others have a pumpernickel blend. Very interesting and hearty rolls.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

smeags

thanks zanshin I will never look at my hoagies the same way again.