2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SunMo on December 11, 2009, 10:31:42 PM
got this from another board...

QuoteTake it for what it is worth, a good buddy of mine who is a higher-up with the Flyers and his wife are best of buds with a guy who works for the Phillies named John Brazier (sp) and his wife, they go out all the time.

According to this Brazier guy, the Phillies have already acquired Halladay and are in a "72-hour negotiating" window with Halladay and his agent.

JA Happ, Domenic Brown, Anthony basticho, and another prospect named Tony Hewitt (sp) for Halladay and Jesse Carlson (sp).

I have no clue how true this is, but I thought I'd pass it along. He claims that this deal could be done and announced by early next week.

I am passing along a rumor, so don't shoot the messanger if this never comes to fruition.

No way. I'd skeet all over my keyboard.

Rome

ice grillin you

i wanted halladay last year when it would have mattered

but theres no chance they trade for him now and the team wins the world series...to much can go wrong over a 162 game season it to long a time...and teams that makes deals like this where it looks like its a no lose thing always end up losing and usually losing pretty bad...like i can see the phils getting halladay and missing the playoffs

oh and i farging love dominic brown
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

lol you negative nancy

if they get halladay the nl is LOCKED UP
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

the nl is irrelevant..they can win that without him

and you said the world series was locked up last year

anyway all im saying is when they get him...everyone and their sister...including every prognosticator in the country wil be picking them to win the world series and that never happens

MDS

oh of course

the only thing that will derail them is injuries. even lidge blowing up again wont hurt. they won 90 some games last year with no closer and didnt have lee for most of the year and of course no halladay.

you cang guarantee a world series win, thats impossible. obviously it would be the only acceptable result. but getting halladay means they literally dont have to break a sweat until the late october.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

yeah and injuries probably will derail them...something will go wrong...it always does when someone is that big of a favorite...especially when you have seven months of things to happen as opposed to making a deal at the trade deadlinbe where you have two

its not worth dominic brown...maybe the best black baseball player since dave winfield

MDS

haha

they need to be 100% by late october. missing a guy here or there is inevitable, but they can drop a guy from  the lineup or rotation and still win the nl. the league is just awful. no one got better and the phils have already made the mets and dodgers their permanent bitches. who is gonna beat the king? farging MA st lou? colorado? atlanta? yea ok.

Sgt PSN

yes, pass up on the best pitcher in baseball for some kid who might be the best black player in 20 years.   your obsession with black sometimes exceeds black people's obsession with black people. 

if you've got a boner for dominic brown because he has stud potential, fine.  his color doesn't and shouldn't mean shtein. 

PhillyPhreak54

Domonic, iceholes. It's DOMONIC!

I dig the guy too...but you have to deal him to get Halladay.

PhillyPhreak54

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/tom_verducci/12/10/winter.meetings.phillies/

Quote"They've been very aggressive," one baseball source said about the Phillies' pursuit of Halladay. "They're putting together a package, even if they need another team. They're trying to find the players [on other teams] the Blue Jays want to get it done."

QuoteThe Phillies represent the biggest growth brand in the baseball industry, similar to how the Red Sox began to rise in 2003 under new ownership. Their farm system is so flush that they could trade for both Lee (who cost them four prospects) and Halladay inside of six months and still have hay in the barn. Their attendance has risen 38 percent since 2006, climbing from 2.6 million -- ninth in the league -- to 3.6 million. Their payroll in those three years jumped 49 percent, from $88 million to $131 million and is likely to approach $140 million in 2010. Local television ratings for the Phillies on CSN Philadelphia, their regional sports network, soared 24 percent last year alone -- the team's seventh consecutive season with increased viewership. The Phillies' 7.13 rating and 210,000 average homes are team records. Only the Yankees and Red Sox reach more households with their local networks -- making the Phillies the most watched team in the NL.

"And you would be shocked at how little they pay in revenue sharing," griped one GM.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on December 12, 2009, 01:41:52 AM
yes, pass up on the best pitcher in baseball for some kid who might be the best black player in 20 years.   your obsession with black sometimes exceeds black people's obsession with black people. 

if you've got a boner for dominic brown because he has stud potential, fine.  his color doesn't and shouldn't mean shtein. 

it means a lot...while the black baseball is on the verge of extinction the phillies are singlehadedly trying to bring it back...dominic brown is the leader of that...

but its also about karma...teams that load up on players so much so that it seems like they cant lose usually do...like i said its a whole nother story when its at the trading deadline..but if they get halladay now you can almost book it that lee and or halladay either have a big time off year or get hurt and the phillies win nothing

Rome

race is nearly as boring a topic as the middle america bullshtein.

mpmcgraw

I love Brown, but saying he is going to be better than Barry Bonds is pretty ridiculous.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 12, 2009, 07:35:02 AM
it means a lot...while the black baseball is on the verge of extinction the phillies are singlehadedly trying to bring it back...dominic brown is the leader of that...

lol.  yeah, i'm sure the phils goal is to revitalize the black presence in baseball.  like putting together a ws roster isn't challenging enough, the phils want to make sure that they do it with black players. 

Quotebut its also about karma...teams that load up on players so much so that it seems like they cant lose usually do...like i said its a whole nother story when its at the trading deadline..but if they get halladay now you can almost book it that lee and or halladay either have a big time off year or get hurt and the phillies win nothing

your logic....or lack there of, is amazing.  the yanks and red sox have both bought multiple ws championships this decade alone.  the marlins bought a couple and the d-backs bought 1.  and i seriously doubt the phils would make a move for halladay unless they are able to sign him to a long(er) term deal before hand.  so it's not like the phils would be gearing up for 2010 and 2010 only.  it'll be something that will help keep them as legit contenders for at least 3-5 yrs. 

oh, and re: best black player since dave winfield....

ken griffey jr would like to have a word with you.