2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBIggle

definitely do it.  i just hope they'll have the money too extend lee too. 

SunMo

they aren't going to trade good prospects for halladay not to extend him.  if they do it, they are almost certainly going to extend him and let lee walk at the end of the year
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MDS

have do it if thats the deal. happ will bottom out as a 4/5 starter and you can get a 20 game winner and playoff stud for a solid outfield prospect when you have 2/3 of your outfield set for the next half decade?

doooooooooooooooo ittttttttttttttttttttt
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

LBIggle

no one in the outfield is set for the next half of a decade.   but i agree... its really the only way to compete against the yank's if they make the series again.  you pretty much have to assume 2 pitch hamels was a flash in the pan.

MDS

yea they have those victorino and werth guys who can be resigned for a reasonable price.

if you had taylor AND brown you had the luxury to bounce one but having to keep both isnt a bad deal.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

BigEd76

the idea of a mid-20s World Series MVP only being good enough to be a #3 starter on a PHILLIES team....5 years ago that would've been crazy...

ice grillin you

his world series mvp might as well have been 20 years ago....hes pretty much starting from scratch this year in spring training

which is why they are entertaining thoughts of getting halladay in the first place
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eaglez

That's a pretty reasonable asking price even if he is only a rental for one year.  I like Happ but it seemed like Charlie didn't have confidence in him in the playoffs and one very good outfield prospect is not that bad when you have another that you are high on.  Given the current composition of the team and the National League not having another really solid contender this is a good risk to take.

If they pick up Halladay then anything less than a World Series championship is a huge disappointment.  

MDS

anything less than a title is always a disappointment. this aint los angeles or kansas city.

Rome

BigEd76

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SunMo

got this from another board...

QuoteTake it for what it is worth, a good buddy of mine who is a higher-up with the Flyers and his wife are best of buds with a guy who works for the Phillies named John Brazier (sp) and his wife, they go out all the time.

According to this Brazier guy, the Phillies have already acquired Halladay and are in a "72-hour negotiating" window with Halladay and his agent.

JA Happ, Domenic Brown, Anthony basticho, and another prospect named Tony Hewitt (sp) for Halladay and Jesse Carlson (sp).

I have no clue how true this is, but I thought I'd pass it along. He claims that this deal could be done and announced by early next week.

I am passing along a rumor, so don't shoot the messanger if this never comes to fruition.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

LBIggle

son of a bitch don't u dare get my hopes up.

Sgt PSN

how the farg am i supposed to hide my boner for the next few days?