2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpmcgraw

so yea.  basically igy doesn't have any clue about baseball, but has a cult like following on here that loves their igyisms. 

ice grillin you

somebodys salty cause everyone knows hes a moron...
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

didn't the grit name come about because of that stupid article about gritty players?

ice grillin you

it came from wherever will make beane stop sobbing

Munson

IGY thinks Rollins is better than Utley because Rollins talks a lot and Utley is gritty, which is definitely what makes a player better.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

phillycrew

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on November 05, 2009, 01:34:04 PM
I don't think there is an argument if you have 08 Hamels not too much needs to be done. 
08 Hamels and Lidge would have done it.  Surgery for Lidge and a punch in the head for Hamels.  Fixed.

Sgt PSN

08 hamels was an above average pitcher.  i think he went 14-11 on the year.  he was good, but he had his struggles as well.  he just happened to be money in the playoffs when it counted and that's what people expect him to do every game.  ain't gonna happen.  if we're lucky though, hamels will be better in 2010 than he was in 2008....maybe a 16-8 type guy.  at least, that's my early aspiration for him. 

08 lidge ain't never coming back.  and i don't say that because i think lidge is done.  i just don't think he's ever going to be perfect in save opportunities for an entire season / post season again.  but that's fine and as long as he limits his blown saves next year to somewhere around 6 or less, then he'd be good to go imo. 

watching him throw his slider in the playoffs was encouraging.  needs a little more zip on the fastball though.

mpmcgraw

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 05, 2009, 07:03:59 PM
08 hamels was an above average pitcher.  i think he went 14-11 on the year.  he was good, but he had his struggles as well.  he just happened to be money in the playoffs when it counted and that's what people expect him to do every game.  ain't gonna happen.  if we're lucky though, hamels will be better in 2010 than he was in 2008....maybe a 16-8 type guy.  at least, that's my early aspiration for him. 

08 lidge ain't never coming back.  and i don't say that because i think lidge is done.  i just don't think he's ever going to be perfect in save opportunities for an entire season / post season again.  but that's fine and as long as he limits his blown saves next year to somewhere around 6 or less, then he'd be good to go imo. 
Are you really trying to evaluate a pitcher's performance based on W-L?

Not only does this is not in any way reflective of a pitcher's performance, it isn't even a nice factor to throw in there when evalutating a pitcher.  There really aren't too many people left in the media besides Joe Morgan that thinks  W-L record is an indicator of performance at all. 

How can you possibly be so far behind the times?  I won't even debate this with you its just laughable.

Rome

Please find a stat geek board to post on.

Seriously.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: jihadist monk on November 05, 2009, 07:08:35 PM

Are you really trying to evaluate a pitcher's performance based on W-L?

Not only does this is not in any way reflective of a pitcher's performance, it isn't even a nice factor to throw in there when evalutating a pitcher.  There really aren't too many people left in the media besides Joe Morgan that thinks  W-L record is an indicator of performance at all. 

How can you possibly be so far behind the times?  I won't even debate this with you its just laughable.

lol, w/l record most definitely is an indicator.  it just doesn't paint the whole picture.  sure, you'll have a guy like zach grienke who would probably have somewhere around 18 wins this year if he played on a team that could score and give him a little run support.  and if you look just at his w/l record then you would think that he was just an average pitcher.  but it's not like there's 30 pitchers out there who can make that claim.  there's a very small number of pitchers out there that have a w/l record that contradicts their actual performance both good and bad. 

i think jamie moyer probably benefited from run support more than him going out there and shutting other teams down.   so his w/l record is also a tad misleading. 

but for the most part, if a pitcher goes out and wins 15+ game a year, then he's probably a pretty good pitcher regardless of what team he plays on.  and i do agree that anyone who strictly looks at wins and losses to evaluate a pitcher is an idiot. 

ice grillin you

has bob ford been reading IGY?

History rolls on, and someday soon it will begin to judge this era in the Phils' team history. If this is the last World Series appearance for the current group, history will regard it with little more than a shrug.

Getting back-to-back World Series appearances is great, but beating the Tampa Bay Rays and losing to the Yankees would be a lot more impressive if the outcomes were reversed.

No, this team has to get into another World Series in the next few years and win that one in order to join the conversation of great teams. If the Phils can do that, if the front office can keep the roster together and add some pitching, they belong in the conversation.

reese125

try and claim something not so obvious and maybe you can get some props and a pat on the back big dog

PhillyGirl

watching him throw his slider in the playoffs was encouraging.  needs a little more zip on the fastball though.

I think once his knee is cleaned out, his zip will be back. I don't care if we don't get back the "perfect" Lidge. It would virtually impossible to repeat that feat.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

LBIggle

they still need bullpen help.. preferably someone who can step in and close if for some ungodly reason lidge doesn't return to his former glory.  maybe they can get something packaging for moyer.  he's not even an option next year.. and if they can't get anything for him they need to force him into retirement.