UFC / MMA

Started by MURP, February 04, 2007, 11:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stalker

Quote from: MURP on January 01, 2009, 03:15:48 PM
are you Mr. Reid?  because he lists his HS coach as one of his heroes on his UFC page.
http://www.ufc.com/FrankEdgar

ive only remember seeing him fight twice. Franca and Maynard.   Very quick guy and never seemed to get tired.   Good fighter, but there are a lot of good lightweight fighters so he would have to put together a nice string of wins to get into the upper tier I think.

No, a friend if Warren's just a volunteer assistant (in other words, a place to work out after college was done).
Alert, alert. Look well at the rainbow. The fish will be running very soon.

mussa

Caught UFC 93 via online video, just watched Shogun vs Coleman and the Dan Henderson VS Alexander fights.

Shogun beat Coleman, but Shogun did not look very good. He was def. not in great shape and could of easily been beat if Coleman had any sort of cardio left in him. Not sure if Shogun will ever be the fighter he used to be. Coleman is done, he was huffing and puffing before round 1 ended and a better fighter would of taken advantage of this and dropped him then.

Henderson got the split decision on Alexander. This fight was pretty close to call, but I think they called it right. Alexander def. had more in him by the end, but Henderson seemed to have landed the bigger shots and controlled most of the fight.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

mussa

So Rampage and Rashad Evans coming up!

I love Rampage, he's prob my fav. fighter, but he def. doesn't look like the Rampage of old. Can't recall the last time the guy power slammed an opponent. But he still has the punching power to knock anyone out.

That being said, Rashad Evans is too complete a fighter I think to let a guy like Rampage, who's fighting style is so one dimensional, win. Evans is a complete fighter with power to finish. I really hope Rampage can pull this off, but I doubt it.
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Feva

They had an intense staredown/shteintalking session after Rampage beat Jardine last weekend.  Joe Rogan had the mic in-between thm and you can hear Rampage saying, "I'm gonna knock you clean OUT!"

I really like Rampage... but I gotta go with my boy Rashad.  Younger, faster, more athletic.  Rampage is gonna have to rock him with a big shot and pretty much knock him out cold.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Feva

Well, so much for that.

Rampage pulls out of the fight against Rashad.  Lyoto "Dragon" Machida apparently will take his place.

IMO, the fight just got a lot tougher for Rashad.  Machida is a Brazilian who's a younger, much more rounded fighter than Rampage, pretty good striker on his feet and nasty on the ground.  Machida's undefeated too.

EDIT:  Now that I think about it... a problem with this fight is it has the potential to be boring as hell.  It's a matchup of two counter-strikers.  Machida... while technically on point, has always had a "boring" style of fighting... with a lot of decisions on his record (I believe more than half of his 14 wins).  Rashad, outside of his last few fights... had won almost all of his fights on decisions and had a "reaction" style of fighting as well.  If the fight happens... that's something they have to be on the lookout for.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

MURP

Iceman knocked into retirement.   It was a good run Chuck.

Feva

Quote from: EagleFeva on March 15, 2009, 10:01:52 AM
Well, so much for that.

Rampage pulls out of the fight against Rashad.  Lyoto "Dragon" Machida apparently will take his place.

IMO, the fight just got a lot tougher for Rashad.  Machida is a Brazilian who's a younger, much more rounded fighter than Rampage, pretty good striker on his feet and nasty on the ground.  Machida's undefeated too.

EDIT:  Now that I think about it... a problem with this fight is it has the potential to be boring as hell.  It's a matchup of two counter-strikers.  Machida... while technically on point, has always had a "boring" style of fighting... with a lot of decisions on his record (I believe more than half of his 14 wins).  Rashad, outside of his last few fights... had won almost all of his fights on decisions and had a "reaction" style of fighting as well.  If the fight happens... that's something they have to be on the lookout for.

Well, I was right and wrong.

Right - the fight got a lot tougher for Rashad, and Lyoto knocked him the farg out last night.

Wrong - wasn't boring.  Not the 2nd round anyway.  Machida's unorthodox striking had Rashad guessing from the start of the fight.  He never solved the range problems while Machida kept him off balance with high kicks.  He rocked Rashad and went in for the kill with a barrage of punches.  Wasn't long before Rashad was sleeping.

The big problem opponents are going to have with Machida (outside of the fact that he's a superb defensive fighter) is finding someone to spar with who can emulate Machida.  Dude's style is so unique, there's really no one out there who fights like he does.  Could be champ for a while.

mussa

Father Demon

Watching Strikeforce on Showtime (from St. Louis), and Brett Rogers is a beast!
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Feva

Quote from: Father Demon on June 07, 2009, 12:03:28 AM
Watching Strikeforce on Showtime (from St. Louis), and Brett Rogers is a beast!

That was quick!

Feva

Also, apparently at the end of the fight, Rashad was talking to Machida just before he went to sleep.

"You hit like a...

mussa

lost a lot of respect for rashad. before that fight looked like he could be champ for awhile. he totally bitched out vs machida. can't handle the pressure of being a champ, ha please.

uriah faber vs mike brown tonight on WEC, via Vs channel 9pm eastern. i am actually pretty excited for this fight. im not a faber fan just cause he's a little cocky california kid, but this rematch should be wild, both guys are def. UFC worthy fighters.

phillymic2000

Uriah looks really cocky early on, isn't that what got him in trouble last time?

phillymic2000

This is a great fight so far

phillymic2000

Faber broke his right hand, Brown should be able to stalk him and win this.