Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

BigEd76

dunno if it was mentioned yet, but Wachovia Center becomes the Wells Fargo Center in July.  4 names in 14 years...

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

Munson

The Linc, The Bank.... The Farg?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

BigEd76

Phreak, your girl Maria LaRosa is going national, heading to the Weather Channel

Susquehanna Birder

Butchers Bill

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on March 09, 2010, 02:21:06 PM

Big Brother cracks down on Philly bar scofflaws

I never did understand how the State owns all of the liquor stores in PA.

The alleged offense: Although the bar owners had bought the beer legally from licensed Pennsylvania distributors and had paid all the necessary taxes, the police claimed that nobody had registered the precise names of the beers with the state Liquor Control Board - a process that requires the brewers or their importers to pay a $75 registration fee for each product they want to sell in Pennsylvania.

Sort of a misnomer, since the "registration fee" also a tax.  Bottom line...damn PA is hard up for cash. 
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Seabiscuit36

yeah, PA looks pathetic, and whoever the flag was that snitched should be beaten
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Susquehanna Birder

Hell, we're still paying the "Johnstown flood tax" on our booze. That's now 18%, after all the other amounts, including federal tax, is added on.

ice grillin you

nutter is on campbell brown right now talking about the philly soda tax....and campbell just called him the farg out by noting that he refused to come on her show if he had to debate this state senator thats now on....which is funny cause this guy cant seem to finish sentences
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Quote from: Butchers Bill on March 09, 2010, 02:38:44 PMI never did understand how the State owns all of the liquor stores in PA.

After prohibition ended, the government decided that the industry would be organized in tiers, ostensibly to protect consumers and retailers from the powerful distillers and brewers from price fixing, etc.

Top tier:  brewers/distillers/importers
2nd tier:  distributors
3rd tier:  retailers (on-premise consumption at bars & restaurants, off-premise liquor stores, etc.)

The consumer buys from the 3rd tier, who in turn buy from the second who in turn buy from the top tier.  No one can skip a level.  The government collects taxes at each step.

Some states and individual counties decided they would eliminate the distributor tier and run their own retails stores.  In control states and counties, the state operates the retail outlets and purchases stock directy from the top tier.

It's a farged up system.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

BigEd76

Big Daddy Graham went in for back surgery and they couldn't get the breathing tube down his throat.  They ended up finding cancer...

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: BigEd76 on March 23, 2010, 11:02:11 AM
Big Daddy Graham went in for back surgery and they couldn't get the breathing tube down his throat.  They ended up finding cancer...

No shtein?

What kind....