Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Now I know why my grandparents would always say they had to "get up that Almshouse Road before dark." Bodies!

Eagaholic

The only thing better than the Philadelphia Eagles are...the Philadelphia Double Eagles

Long article but interesting read.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44288821/ns/business-us_business/?gt1=43001

Sgt PSN

ice grillin you

If Pete Ciarrocchi is strutting a little bit more, that's because Chickie's & Pete's, his crab house-slash-sports-bar chain, was named the best sports bar in North America in an ESPN Mobile poll.

So proud, he issued a press release: "To see the top name in sports, ESPN, and their viewers agree, is humbling. And I'm a tough guy to humble!"

Three more locations are on tap for the fourth quarter of 2011: Audubon, Montgomery County; Warrington, Bucks County; and Terminal D in the Philadelphia International Airport.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteAutopsy: Woman was killed by dogs

The Medical Examiner's Office has ruled that a North Philadelphia woman found dead with her five pit bulls was killed by one or more of the dogs, police said.

Carmen Ramos, 50, was found dead in her home in the 400 block of West Carey Street by her husband, Jose Alvarez, Tuesday evening with her dogs. Alvarez, who had come home from work, told police the dogs killed her, but police decided to conduct a homicide investigation to make sure she was not killed by some other means.

Ramos was pronounced dead at the scene with severe injuries to her head and face. The dogs were removed from the house by animal-control officers.

The dogs recently escaped from the house and attacked two neighborhood residents. The Pennsylvania SPCA reportedly took the dogs away, but then returned them shortly before Ramos' death. A PSPCA official said the case is under investigation.

General_Failure

Sentence for a plan to eat Obama: 5 years

QuoteGregory Dale Brockman, 33, was serving a three-year sentence for burglary in Jan. 2010 when he wrote letters to the Secret Service detailing his culinary plans. According to court papers, in his missive postmarked Jan. 19, 2010, from a Chester prison, he also described how he would precede his meal with the sexual assault of first lady Michelle Obama and then "skin her alive."

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: General_Failure on September 17, 2011, 03:10:42 PM
Sentence for a plan to eat Obama: 5 years

QuoteGregory Dale Brockman, 33, was serving a three-year sentence for burglary in Jan. 2010 when he wrote letters to the Secret Service detailing his culinary plans. According to court papers, in his missive postmarked Jan. 19, 2010, from a Chester prison, he also described how he would precede his meal with the sexual assault of first lady Michelle Obama and then "skin her alive."

Guess we know which part of the turkey he prefers on Thanksgiving.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

Mistrial declared on ballpark murder case

A judge today declared a mistrial in the case of three men charged in the 2009 beating death of a Phillies fan outside the team's ballpark in South Philadelphia.

More to come.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20110920_Mistrial_declared_on_ballpark_murder_case.html?cmpid=125219969

QuoteDefense lawyers moved for the mistrial Monday after a prosecution witness made a surprise identification of one defendant.

The witness said he saw Frances Kirchner, 30, deliver a kick to the neck of David W. Sale Jr. in a beer-fueled parking-lot fight.

It was not the first time Kirchner had been identified as the kicker, but defense lawyers said they did not know in advance that the witness, Ryan Tulino, a friend of the victim, could identify the defendant.

I don't understand the reasoning; so because someone positively identified the defendant as the one who delivered a kick to the head and the lawyers didn't know he would say that they get a mistrial?!

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 20, 2011, 11:37:00 AM
I don't understand the reasoning; so because someone positively identified the defendant as the one who delivered a kick to the head and the lawyers didn't know he would say that they get a mistrial?!

It's called disclosure ya d1ckhead.  He has to show you everything, otherwise it could be a mistrial. He has to give you a list of all his witnesses, you can talk to all his witnesses, he's not allowed any surprises.

PhillyPhreak54

I understand disclosure as far as evidence goes and having a witness on the list to be called to the stand - but I didn't know you had to know exactly what he was going to say. Isn't that the attorneys job to interview all of the witnesses of a prosecution and defense list to see what theirs story is so they're prepared?

So if this witness was on the list to be called and the defense doesn't interview him and he fingers their client that's a mistrial?

What am I missing here, counselor Sarge?

Sgt PSN

I don't know all the particulars as I was simply quoting Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny.  However, my understanding is that the defense is entitled to interview all known witnesses and if a witness testities to something on the stand that the defense was not made aware of (such as being able to id the defendant) then it is grounds for a mistrial. 

I'm really just spitballing right now though because I'm at work and for some stupid reason or another philly.com is blocked so I can't read the entire article to get all the info surrounding it.