Rock shows

Started by Diomedes, April 11, 2006, 10:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

A number of homo sapiens that I am aware of.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Quote from: Munson on February 19, 2013, 09:02:44 PM

I went to the fb thread where they made the announcement and people were saying the same thing. Seems like a long shot though because tickets go on sale Thursday. We're staying in the hotel right next to Dover Downs. Last year we were around 5 miles away and trying to catch a cab was a nightmare.

Munson

Quote from: SD on February 19, 2013, 09:31:58 PM
Quote from: Munson on February 19, 2013, 09:02:44 PM

I went to the fb thread where they made the announcement and people were saying the same thing. Seems like a long shot though because tickets go on sale Thursday. We're staying in the hotel right next to Dover Downs. Last year we were around 5 miles away and trying to catch a cab was a nightmare.

I wonder if they'll get some sort of shuttle service going this year. You would think it would be a good idea for them to do. Though I guess they want as many people camping as possible.

I think my friends are planning on camping again. Apparently one of them is going to buy two camp sites. Sounds good to me. The increased prices are disappointing, but I guess with more bands it makes sense. Will be interesting to see if they've expanded on any of the merch and food and games this year.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

They released something a few months ago saying they are increasing the food choices. Dogfish is the sponsor again which I'm happy with. They're having shows last till 2AM this year. I'm happy about that because people will stick around just to stick around meaning everyone isn't going to herd their way out like last year.

Rome

Dogfish 120 Minute IPA FTW

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Munson on February 19, 2013, 12:50:09 PM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 19, 2013, 12:31:22 PM
Kendrick Lamar is good.  Beats sound like old school Outkast. 
Grizzly Bear is awesome
PE is ridiculous live

In general, the lineup is really solid, Munson just wants bigger names than RHCP and Tom Petty to jerk off to apparently.

It's not the headliners I mind (though I definitely preferred The Killers), it's the secondary acts this year. Last year I wanted to see Modest Mouse, Ok Go, John Legend, The Wallflowers, Silversun Pickups, The Flaming Lips, Cake. This year those slots are filled with a lot of radio indie junk.
you loved Flobots...True story LOL.

Seriously though, there's some really good indie bands on that list. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

Alabama Shakes, Atlas Genius & The Lumineers would get my attention.

Munson

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 20, 2013, 11:08:56 AM
Quote from: Munson on February 19, 2013, 12:50:09 PM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 19, 2013, 12:31:22 PM
Kendrick Lamar is good.  Beats sound like old school Outkast. 
Grizzly Bear is awesome
PE is ridiculous live

In general, the lineup is really solid, Munson just wants bigger names than RHCP and Tom Petty to jerk off to apparently.

It's not the headliners I mind (though I definitely preferred The Killers), it's the secondary acts this year. Last year I wanted to see Modest Mouse, Ok Go, John Legend, The Wallflowers, Silversun Pickups, The Flaming Lips, Cake. This year those slots are filled with a lot of radio indie junk.
you loved Flobots...True story LOL.

Seriously though, there's some really good indie bands on that list.

I loved one song from Flobots...I got some mild enjoyment out of the rest of it.

I'm just not into the indie sound in general. Every once in a while a song will catch my ear but the overall sound is bland too me....Not a fan of the goddamn Lumineers song at all.

Diomedes

"the indie sound?" 

What is that?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Munson

Quote from: Diomedes on February 20, 2013, 08:27:34 PM
"the indie sound?" 

What is that?

Next time you're in Philly, turn on 104.5 on the radio. ANytime they don't play something that's pop punk or alt rock, it'll be stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWOyfLBYtuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sENM2wA_FTg

Pretty much anything that sounds like it could have fit on the Juno soundtrack. To be fair, I don't lump Imagine Dragons in with that sound usually because they're not really following the soft vocals format. But the musical style is similar.

SD

I like the Lumineers, not my cup of tea as far as music goes but they have a couple of decent songs. I hate the rest of the EMO crap that's played. I'm already doing my homework to map out which bands I want to see.

Munson

I guess a lot of the music I like could be considered "emo" because of the lyrical content, but I've lost track of what is even defined as emo anymore. I know I never got into the bands that had the nasally singers (New Found Glory for example). Dashboard Confessional was probably the stereotypical "emo" band from the early 00's, they were usually too soft musically for me. I've always been more into bands like Brand New or Alkaline Trio. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't usually like at least one or two songs from a lot of bands from that era. I just usually gravitated to the bands who's vocalists didn't fit the typical mold for the genre, guys with unique voices, bands with dual vocals, etc. All this stuff that's on the radio today just sounds too similar to me, usually soft vocals, and an almost electric pop sound mixed with acoustic guitars or other similar instruments. I guess I'm getting old.

Teen angsty music was at its popularity peak during my early-mid teen years, so that probably explains 95% of my musical taste. But at least some of it had some teeth to it.

SD

Seabiscuit36

I love the lineups again, but my buddy and i are passing.  I hate crowds. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons