Rock shows

Started by Diomedes, April 11, 2006, 10:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Not,presumably, the kind of end his death metal band celebrated.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

Firefly will announce their lineup on Tuesday. They put a bunch of hints up on their website. Supposedly the Lumineers and Black Keys are part of their lineup. I'd like to see TOOL but that's not really their scene. Drummer Danny Carey said their new album will be out this year then Maynard said no new album...meaning there should be a new album this year. One of the songs is 20 minutes long. They're touring in Australia in April and May and Firefly isn't until the end of July.

In other news MMRBQ headliners are Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.

Munson

Actually pretty disappointed with the Firefly lineup....Really only interested in Petty, MGMT, and Public Enemy. I'll probably check out Dispatch too since a lot of my friends listen to them and I've never not enjoyed them.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Not interesed in seeing the Red Hot Chilli Peppers?

Who is the third headliner? RHCP Tom Petty and...?

Not as good of a lineup as last year but I've never seen Petty/RHCP or PE

Rome

MGMT absolutely sucks.   Public Enemy is great live.  Saw them when they opened for U2 years ago. 

Munson

I was never into RHCP. They were always one of those bands who's songs would come on the radio and I wouldn't change the station but was never really into either. I'll still go to their set though as at least it'll be a lot of songs I know the words to and one or two that I do like.

I assume that Vampire Weekend and Foster the People are sharing Headlining duties for the 3rd day.

Once you get past those first few acts though, there's not nearly as many acts that I want to see as last year. They really went all out with the indie hipster type shtein this year.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Seabiscuit36

Kendrick Lamar is good.  Beats sound like old school Outkast. 
Grizzly Bear is awesome
PE is ridiculous live

In general, the lineup is really solid, Munson just wants bigger names than RHCP and Tom Petty to jerk off to apparently. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Seabiscuit36

A Silent Film
Action Bronson
Alabama Shakes
Amanda Palmer
Atlas Genius - Worth seeing
Azealia Banks
Big Gigantic
Blondfire
Calvin Harris - Worth seeing
Capital Cities
CHVRCHES
Conner Youngblood
Crystal Fighters - Worth seeing
Dan Deacon
Delta Rae
Dispatch
Django Django - Worth seeing
Dr. Dog
Dragonette
Ellie Goulding - Worth seeing
Foster the People - Worth seeing
Foxygen
Grizzly Bear - Worth seeing
HAIM - Worth seeing
Hey Marseilles
Imaginary Cities
Imagine Dragons
Japandroids - Worth seeing
JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound
Kendrick Lamar - Worth seeing
Kishi Bashi
Kopecky Family Band
Krewella
Leagues
Lord Huron
LP
Manufactured Superstars
Matt & Kim - Worth seeing
MGMT - Worth seeing
Passion Pit - Worth seeing
Public Enemy - Headliner
Purity Ring - Worth seeing
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Headliner
Robert DeLong
Selah Sue
Sister Sparrow
St. Lucia
The Apache Relay
The Avett Brothers
The Chevin
The Joy Formidable
The Last Bison
The Last Royals
The Lumineers
The Neighbourhood
The Royal Concept
The Spinto Band
The Walkmen
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Headliner
Toro y Moi - Worth seeing
Trails and Ways
Twenty One Pilots
Vampire Weekend - Worth seeing
Wheeler Brothers
White Panda
Wild Belle
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Worth seeing
Young Empires
Youngblood Hawke
Zedd
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

things white people do for 500 alex
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 19, 2013, 12:31:22 PM
Kendrick Lamar is good.  Beats sound like old school Outkast. 
Grizzly Bear is awesome
PE is ridiculous live

In general, the lineup is really solid, Munson just wants bigger names than RHCP and Tom Petty to jerk off to apparently.

It's not the headliners I mind (though I definitely preferred The Killers), it's the secondary acts this year. Last year I wanted to see Modest Mouse, Ok Go, John Legend, The Wallflowers, Silversun Pickups, The Flaming Lips, Cake. This year those slots are filled with a lot of radio indie junk.

Dillen

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 19, 2013, 12:42:51 PM
things white people do for 500 alex
There are definitely black people who have 63k posts on a message board

Seabiscuit36

SD

Quote from: Munson on February 19, 2013, 12:28:43 PM
I was never into RHCP. They were always one of those bands who's songs would come on the radio and I wouldn't change the station but was never really into either. I'll still go to their set though as at least it'll be a lot of songs I know the words to and one or two that I do like.

I assume that Vampire Weekend and Foster the People are sharing Headlining duties for the 3rd day.

Once you get past those first few acts though, there's not nearly as many acts that I want to see as last year. They really went all out with the indie hipster type shtein this year.

These kind of events bring out the hipster douchebags regardless of who the headliners are. They think they're reenacting Woodstock. Last year was a better lineup no doubt, but Public Enemy and RHCP sell me on this show. I figured the Lumineers would be a headliner because they're really popular right now. Not really into Vampire Weekend but Foster the People have a couple of decent song.

The shocker to me is they don't have a lot of repeat bands. Imagine Dragons is decent but I figured the Silver Sun Pickups, Cake, and The Black Keys would be back. There's always a chance some bands get added late because SSP were added a month or so before the show.

Munson

Quote from: SD on February 19, 2013, 06:23:02 PM
Quote from: Munson on February 19, 2013, 12:28:43 PM

These kind of events bring out the hipster douchebags regardless of who the headliners are. They think they're reenacting Woodstock. Last year was a better lineup no doubt, but Public Enemy and RHCP sell me on this show. I figured the Lumineers would be a headliner because they're really popular right now. Not really into Vampire Weekend but Foster the People have a couple of decent song.

The shocker to me is they don't have a lot of repeat bands. Imagine Dragons is decent but I figured the Silver Sun Pickups, Cake, and The Black Keys would be back. There's always a chance some bands get added late because SSP were added a month or so before the show.

A few people I know are saying there's rumors that a 3rd headliner will be announced later. Interesting.

I just don't like how, outside of RHCP, it seemed to ignore any and all rock music made between 1995 and 2008, after last year's pretty diverse line up.

I too would have loved to have seen Silversun or Cake again this year...even though Cake's commentary in between songs got a little weird at times haha

Diomedes

Stop saying things like "A few people I know..."  Just stop it.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger