2006 Philles Season Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 02, 2006, 06:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

You're part of the 94% of America that didn't get the game.  You didn't miss anything.  Brito sucks too...

PoopyfaceMcGee

PoopyfaceMcGee

P.S.  The Phils haven't been shut out all season.  Wow.

PhillyPhreak54

Brito wasn't so Britolicious today.

I didn't watch the game. I listened to it on the radio while working on the house outside. And getting drunk.

MDS

What a zesty game. Outside of Myers, this rotation eat ass.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

6-4 win over LA. Split the series 2-2. Myers quality again, walks and his lazy ass not covering first were what cost him the win.

On to Arizona and 8-0 Brandon Webb. The magical Cory Lidle will surely deal him his first L.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

BigEd76

4.5 games behind the Mets and 1.5 ahead of Atlanta.  The Mets now have the LAD/ARZ west coast trip this week...

MON = Lidle vs Webb
TUE = Hamels vs Juan Cruz
WED (day) = Madson vs Russ Ortiz (first game back from DL)

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on June 04, 2006, 07:01:12 PM
6-4 win over LA. Split the series 2-2. Myers quality again, walks and his lazy ass not covering first were what cost him the win.

On to Arizona and 8-0 Brandon Webb. The magical Cory Lidle will surely deal him his first L.

I'm going on pure memory here, which can be a dangerous thing, but the Dodgers feed (God bless Vin Scully) had a graphic that said that this was Myers' 15th straight start giving up 3ER or less.  The guy is becoming a pitcher.

Rome

Former MLB Umpire (and Philadelphian) Eric Gregg suffers massive stroke.

QuoteUpdated: June 4, 2006, 9:40 PM ET
Former umpire Eric Gregg suffers massive stroke

Former major league umpire Eric Gregg, known for his wide strike zone and well-documented weight problems, suffered a massive stroke Sunday, his son Kevin told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. Gregg is hospitalized at Lankenau Hospital in Philadelphia.

Gregg, whose battle with weight problems became quite public, was one of baseball's most recognizable umpires.

Gregg's outlook, according to his son, does not look promising, regardless of whether he survives.

Gregg, 55, was one of 22 umpires who lost their jobs in 1999 as a result of a failed labor strategy. In an attempt to gain bargaining leverage, the umpires submitted their resignations to the league. Surprisingly, the league accepted the resignations.

In 2001, a judge ordered baseball to rehire nine of the 22 umpires, but Gregg was not one of them.

Three years before losing his job, Gregg was given a leave of absence to begin a weight-loss program. Gregg's decision, through consultation with the National League, came one week after umpire John McSherry collapsed in a game in Cincinnati on Opening Day 1996 and died.

When he took leave, Gregg was listed by the league at 325 pounds. The only umpire at the time heavier than Gregg was the 51-year-old McSherry, who weighed 380 pounds when he died of heart disease.

"In light of recent events," Gregg said then, "I feel this is the right time to take a serious look at my weight and conditioning. My goal is to be a major league umpire for many years to come, and to accomplish that I need to take a closer look at my overall health."

At one point in the late 1980s, Gregg lost 53 pounds after the league office ordered its heavier umpires to drop weight.

Gregg was a National League umpire from 1976-99.

:-[

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on June 04, 2006, 09:51:52 PM
Former MLB Umpire (and Philadelphian) Eric Gregg suffers massive stroke.

QuoteUpdated: June 4, 2006, 9:40 PM ET
Former umpire Eric Gregg suffers massive stroke

Former major league umpire Eric Gregg, known for his wide strike zone and well-documented weight problems, suffered a massive stroke Sunday, his son Kevin told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. Gregg is hospitalized at Lankenau Hospital in Philadelphia.

Gregg, whose battle with weight problems became quite public, was one of baseball's most recognizable umpires.

Gregg's outlook, according to his son, does not look promising, regardless of whether he survives.

Gregg, 55, was one of 22 umpires who lost their jobs in 1999 as a result of a failed labor strategy. In an attempt to gain bargaining leverage, the umpires submitted their resignations to the league. Surprisingly, the league accepted the resignations.

In 2001, a judge ordered baseball to rehire nine of the 22 umpires, but Gregg was not one of them.

Three years before losing his job, Gregg was given a leave of absence to begin a weight-loss program. Gregg's decision, through consultation with the National League, came one week after umpire John McSherry collapsed in a game in Cincinnati on Opening Day 1996 and died.

When he took leave, Gregg was listed by the league at 325 pounds. The only umpire at the time heavier than Gregg was the 51-year-old McSherry, who weighed 380 pounds when he died of heart disease.

"In light of recent events," Gregg said then, "I feel this is the right time to take a serious look at my weight and conditioning. My goal is to be a major league umpire for many years to come, and to accomplish that I need to take a closer look at my overall health."

At one point in the late 1980s, Gregg lost 53 pounds after the league office ordered its heavier umpires to drop weight.

Gregg was a National League umpire from 1976-99.

:-[

Holy crap, that is so sad. He's ALWAYS been a staple at the stadium.  :'( :'( :'(  Always so so so nice when you'd get your crab fries.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

BigEd76

:(

lost conciousness in the ambulance and in intensive care right now, according to CSN

PhillyPhreak54

:(

I enjoyed hearing him on Jolovitz's show on WIP. He used to call in every weekend.

As for the Phils, once again I enjoyed this game via the radio today. I liked how everytime LA caught up, the Phils came right back and took the lead again. I"m glad to be outta LA. That team is hitting the ball very well. Although facing the DBacks isn't much better. They're on fire too.

Webb will be tough. But at least they'll get to feast on Russ Ortiz and won't face any LH starters.

PhillyPhreak54

According to Wolfman on SF;

Bobby A's and Pat's agents have told the Phillies that they will only waiver the NTC to go to New York or Boston.

MDS

Rome

Awe... isn't that cute? 

MDS has taken to drinking heavily into the wee hours of the morning.

:yay