I hate my job!

Started by TexasEagle, March 12, 2006, 02:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

We have something very similar called Office Communicator and I love it. whats the difference if you get an email and ignore it or get an IM and ignore it? It's great to just IM someone in Europe or California from my couch and get an immediate response.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: phattymatty on April 26, 2012, 11:45:11 AM
We have something very similar called Office Communicator and I love it. whats the difference if you get an email and ignore it or get an IM and ignore it? It's great to just IM someone in Europe or California from my couch and get an immediate response.
The blackberry app for office communicator is money. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Zanshin

We've used Lotus Sametime for years, and we're switching over to link. People have been expected to use it for a long time, but I do feel a little tethered to my computer. The upside, though, is fewer phone calls, which I do like.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on April 26, 2012, 11:34:29 AM
So the latest thing here is the use of Microsoft Lync. It's kind of a marriage between LiveMeeting and AIM. You log onto your computer, and people can see that you're there, so they can IM you, as well as engage you in collaborative meetings with screen sharing and the like.

I don't mind the meetings if they're planned and scheduled, but there's no way in hell that I'm going to have random people pester me with IMs all day. It's just too intrusive, and I don't need the interruptions. I'm just fine with e-mail and phone calls, thank you. So I have my Lync status set to off-line as much as possible. People have asked me about it, but I usually change the subject.

Agreed...I'd hate that too. Its bad enough that they put in a new phone system at my place where anyone in any office around the country can buzz in and intercom me.

MDS

so since none of you exist or count i can put this here

i will be having lunch on friday with some editors from the paper in mcallen. its about 45 minutes to the west of where i am now. bigger paper, different schools to cover (with some utpa hoops mixed in...yes they are for some reason d1) and more pay. but its the same company.

anyway, farg you

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Good luck.

Movin on up to the deluxe apartment in the sky.

DH

you should try to cover rice football...nd kalu is their color guy on their radio broadcasts, so that's kind of cool

SD

Quote from: MDS on May 29, 2012, 10:53:11 PM
so since none of you exist or count i can put this here

i will be having lunch on friday with some editors from the paper in mcallen. its about 45 minutes to the west of where i am now. bigger paper, different schools to cover (with some utpa hoops mixed in...yes they are for some reason d1) and more pay. but its the same company.

anyway, farg you

Out of curiousity are you in Texas by choice or is that the only place you can find a job? Ever think about going away from the newspaper industry and into something similar?

MDS

Quote from: DH on May 30, 2012, 08:52:30 AM
you should try to cover rice football...nd kalu is their color guy on their radio broadcasts, so that's kind of cool

only if you get him to come to yom kippur break the fast dinner

Quote from: SD on May 30, 2012, 09:56:51 AMOut of curiousity are you in Texas by choice or is that the only place you can find a job? Ever think about going away from the newspaper industry and into something similar?

brownsville was the first job i hit on after getting out of school and i just said farg it and did it. for some reason i am still here 2 years later, but i guess its all worth it now because i might be getting a modest raise and moving 45 minutes west.

anyway, of course i think about leaving newspapers all the time, but i dont know what for. im not a 9-5 office guy, i already did that and it was awful. obviously the goal at some point is to work for a website, but i like doing the beat stuff (i.e. not column writing or feature reporting) and i do like doing high schools. you dont have to deal with press conferences or PR people breathing down your neck. its good. and in texas, its very fun.

with that said i am and jew and a whore, so if something came along that paid well i would take it.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

I'm applying to be a cop in Bozeman, Montana.  Why?  Farg it, why not?  Squaw is applying too since she already has like 8 years experience as a pig professional law enforcement officer.

Writen and physical testing is June 29th and interviews start up the following week so we're going to spend about 2.5 weeks up there.  If nothing else, it should be an ok vacation and at least we'll get a good look at the town and will have a better idea if we'd actually like to live there.   

General_Failure

Do you have a pair of mirror aviators already, or will they have to issue those? Either way, good luck.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 30, 2012, 05:01:42 PM

Writen and physical testing is June 29th...

Good luck with that.

Sgt PSN

OH NOEZ!  Rome founded a typo. 

MDS

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 30, 2012, 05:01:42 PM
I'm applying to be a cop in Bozeman, Montana.  Why?  Farg it, why not?  Squaw is applying too since she already has like 8 years experience as a pig professional law enforcement officer.

Writen and physical testing is June 29th and interviews start up the following week so we're going to spend about 2.5 weeks up there.  If nothing else, it should be an ok vacation and at least we'll get a good look at the town and will have a better idea if we'd actually like to live there.   

http://deadspin.com/tuesday-night-fights/

these are your peeps

Sgt PSN

I look forward to arresting them.  Except the lone black dude.  We're cool.