Other NFL Teams Training Camp News & Notes

Started by PhillyPhreak54, July 25, 2005, 07:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

KC.com

QuoteChiefs' Mitchell hurts knee at training camp
By ELIZABETH MERRILL The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — Chiefs wide receiver Freddie Mitchell may leave camp to have his knee scoped, coach Dick Vermeil said Sunday after the team's morning special-teams workout.

Vermeil said the injury "doesn't appear to be a serious one," but it's obviously a blow to Mitchell, the former Philadelphia Eagle who's fighting for a spot on the roster. Mitchell, who signed as a free agent in June, had impressed the Chiefs coaches through the first three days of camp with his work ethic and ability to make several difficult catches.

PhillyGirl

big thread about other teams' camps/players has this in it already, Ed...lol
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2121073

LOL...I can see the Skins fans already...."See? Getting arrested and facing jailtime was JUST what he needed!"
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Eaglez

Sucks for Fredex. Maybe he'll actually display some talent at KC and realize that he can't just make it in the NFL on soundbites alone. I can't wait to hear the trash he'll be talking come time to play the Chiefs, if he makes the roster.

Eaglez

Bring Wendell Bryant into camp!  ;) Hey, you never know. The Eagles coaching staff took Darwin Walker off the Cards hands, who was thought of as an underachiever with a bad work ethic, and turned him into a monster who has been probably our most reliable and explosive DT over the past couple of seasons.

I'm sure he'll be willing to sign for practically nothing. Just see how he does. Maybe add a little incentive for Corey to get his fat arse into camp as well.

Diomedes

Someone will pick Bryant up pretty quick, I reckon.

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 31, 2005, 06:05:04 PM
Quote from: TO is GOD on July 31, 2005, 04:55:15 PM
Chiefs | Mitchell Injures Knee, may need Scope
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:30:24 -0700
KCChiefs.com reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil said WR Freddie Mitchell (knee) hurt his knee at practice Saturday, July 30. He may need arthroscopic surgery. Right now Mitchell is conferring with the team doctor.

Holy Karma.

:-D :-D
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyGirl

PhillyGirl

Ravens 2nd round pick Dan Cody was carted off the field this morning with a knee injury, as per a few Ravens' sites.

PhillyGirl

PhillyGirl

QuoteWR Laveranues Coles
pulled up lame near the end of practice yesterday afternoon (the lone full- squad session) and appeared to injure his right toe or foot. The extent of the injury is unknown. Coles walked gingerly off the practice field, though he took time to greet Edwards' pregnant wife, Lia.

Last season, Coles had an arthritic right big toe that nagged him all season. The taterskins wanted him to have surgery, but he refused, a disagreement that hastened his departure.

Turf toe again?

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 01, 2005, 10:34:23 AM
Ravens 2nd round pick Dan Cody was carted off the field this morning with a knee injury, as per a few Ravens' sites.

Cody may miss the season

Tomahawk

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 02, 2005, 08:32:45 AM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 01, 2005, 10:34:23 AM

Cody may miss the season

Screw registering and screw you for posting a link to a website requiring registration.

That being said, it's always a shame when rookies don't even get a chance to show what skills they may or may not have.

PhillyGirl

I didn't make me register.

QuoteCody may miss season with injury
Rookie sprains right knee on his first day of camp; Top pick Clayton still unsigned
By Jamison Hensley
Sun Staff
Originally published August 2, 2005

While first-round draft pick Mark Clayton has yet to report to training camp, the Ravens' top defensive rookie might never return this season.

Linebacker Dan Cody sprained the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee midway through the team's first practice yesterday, officially sidelining the second-round pick indefinitely.

Although he will be re-evaluated later in camp when the swelling has settled down, the Ravens have resigned themselves privately to losing him for the year. A magnetic resonance imaging test revealed between a second- and third-degree sprain, which are the two most severe conditions.

The loss of Cody would deliver a sizable blow to the Ravens' pass rush. He was projected to play rush end in passing situations, the role previously reserved for Peter Boulware.

"A lot was going to be expected of him," defensive coordinator Rex Ryan said.

Cody's injury is even more jolting when considering he was never touched.

In the final team drill, he was trying to change directions on a flea flicker, spinning to his left when the running back tossed the ball back to the quarterback. Then, after planting his foot to run downfield, he just dropped to the ground and held his knee.

It's been a frenetic first two days of camp for Cody. He signed his four-year contract just before reporting Sunday night and needed to be carted off the field a day later.

Cody walked gingerly on crutches through the team hotel, applying no weight on his right leg. This marks the latest setback for Cody, a first-round talent who plummeted in the draft because many teams were wary of his bout with clinical depression in 2001.

"You never want to see an injury, but it's bound to happen," defensive end Tony Weaver said. "Regardless of who goes down, the next man has to step up."

The next man is Roderick Green, a fifth-round pick in 2004. He will take over for Cody as the other pass rushing end opposite Terrell Suggs, but the Ravens won't be able to replace the depth at strong-side linebacker.

The original plan was to have Cody rotate with starter Adalius Thomas, who would be able to contribute more on special teams (where he was a Pro Bowl performer). With Cody down, the Ravens likely will use Thomas primarily on defense unless they can add another linebacker who can rush the passer.

One possible candidate could be Boulware. Team officials have not contacted the franchise's all-time sack leader, but wouldn't rule out his coming back.

Boulware, who missed all of last season with knee and toe injuries, was a salary cap casualty by the Ravens three months ago after he refused to restructure his contract. Last month, he wanted to show he had recovered from his injuries with a workout, which was attended by the Cleveland Browns, Seattle Seahawks, Houston Texans and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Still, Boulware remains a free agent.

Asked last night whether he would consider re-signing with the Ravens, Boulware said: "Anything is possible. My mind is open to it."

Meanwhile, there has been no progress in contract talks with Clayton, the 22nd overall selection. The sides, though, continue to negotiate.

"I have no further knowledge as to what the contractual situation is with Mark Clayton," coach Brian Billick said.

Talks should have been helped with the deal signed last week by Oakland cornerback Fabian Washington, who was taken one spot after Clayton. Using the league's unofficial slotting system, Clayton should earn just slightly more than Washington's five-year, $7.8 million contract.

Asked if Clayton's deal could be reached quickly, Billick said, "Certainly, but it's not my concern right now."

Quarterback Kyle Boller, who boarded Clayton at his house during minicamps this offseason, talked with him Sunday and appeared optimistic that the receiver would come to camp shortly.

"He wants to be here," said Boller, who was also a holdout two years ago. "I was in the same situation. There's a business side to it. I just hope he will be here as soon as possible. I feel confident that they will work it out and I expect to throw the ball to him a whole lot."

You can also use bugmenot.com so you don't have to register for anything.

Tomahawk

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 02, 2005, 08:54:41 AM
I didn't make me register.

You can also use bugmenot.com so you don't have to register for anything.

I didn't make you register either so the question is, "who did?"

As far as the bugmenot.com goes, I could probably do a lot of things I'm not going to do. Let's avoid awkward situations like this by you just posting the article.