Flyers Season thread

Started by Wingspan, October 13, 2004, 07:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: DemonchildrenOnTurf on July 27, 2005, 11:36:45 AM
Not to derail this love-fest, but would you take Pronger at the max salary?  Could Philly afford him?

Hell no, and it doesn't matter.

Father Demon

Quote from: rjs246 on July 27, 2005, 11:42:45 AM
Quote from: DemonchildrenOnTurf on July 27, 2005, 11:36:45 AM
Not to derail this love-fest, but would you take Pronger at the max salary?  Could Philly afford him?

Of course I'd take him if the team could afford him. Who wouldn't want a Pronger on their team?

Exactly my point.  These ass-clowns letting him walk is a disgrace.....
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Phanatic

Wait, let me buy into these aleged "a$$ clown'" assesments and envision Pronger in a Flyer uni...

Oh that is nice....

OK, back to reality. When we don't get him I'll be fine.

This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

BigEd76

Schedule

11-game road trip during Xmas/New Year's break  :o

Only 3 games out of 82 outside the Eastern timezone....and those 3 are in the Central  :-D :yay

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 27, 2005, 01:43:03 PM
Schedule

11-game road trip during Xmas/New Year's break  :o

Only 3 games out of 82 outside the Eastern timezone....and those 3 are in the Central  :-D :yay

They almost always used to have those long 10-12 game road trips over winter break. I remember hating it when I was in college because I'd come home and they'd be away.  :-D
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

BigEd76

I know they have the holiday break out west (same with the 76ers), but usually it's no more than 6 games.  11 in a row on the road??  :P

PoopyfaceMcGee

They're going to immediately plug a "rookie" into the Center spot on the first line?  Yikes!

PhillyGirl

Quote from: FFatPatt on July 27, 2005, 03:16:53 PM
They're going to immediately plug a "rookie" into the Center spot on the first line?  Yikes!

Don't be so quick on that. They are stating possibilites. They don't even know who is going to be on the team come October at this point. I will wait for camp to start and see how things shake up.

rjs246

You mean you don't like the idea of rookies taking over for JR and Kieth Primeau? I mean who are they? What have they done? Rookies can do the exact same thing as our captain and leading scorer, right? Right?!
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: rjs246 on July 27, 2005, 03:19:56 PM

You mean you don't like the idea of rookies taking over for JR and Kieth Primeau? I mean who are they? What have they done? Rookies can do the exact same thing as our captain and leading scorer, right? Right?!

JR isn't playing center this year. He's playing on the wing.

rjs246

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 27, 2005, 03:20:51 PM

JR isn't playing center this year. He's playing on the wing.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't read it in the article. He played center last year and who is moving into his spot? A rookie. = my point.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

Primeau
Handzus
Carter
Richards
Sharp
Umberger

Those are the Centers on the Flyers right now. What happens between now and October....who knows? But Primeau doesn't need to be on the first line. This isn't football where the starting lineup determines who is on the ice. Its whoever they play best with. Prims was on the 3rd line at times last year.

rjs246

Agreed on all points, but my point is still the same. Replacing our top two centers with rookies doesn't make me feel all warm and snuggly inside.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: rjs246 on July 27, 2005, 03:27:03 PM
Agreed on all points, but my point is still the same. Replacing our top two centers with rookies doesn't make me feel all warm and snuggly inside.

You are kidding right? Primeau isn't BEING replaced! The first line means nothing. Are you even aware of how good these 2 kids are?

Read this:

QuoteFuture Flyers
Flyer fans, you can breath a little easier. A league exec told me the Flyers completed deals with 2003 first-round picks Jeff Carter and Mike Richards on Tuesday. The official announcement should come Wednesday.

If Philly hadn't signed the two centers by Thursday, they would have gone back into the draft pool on Saturday. And, in that scenario, they likely would have been selected second and third behind Sidney Crosby.

Carter and Richards showed their stuff in Philadelphia during the AHL playoffs, helping the Phantoms win the Calder Cup.

Carter, who joined the Phantoms for the postseason after his OHL season ended, led the AHL in playoff goals (12) and points (23). He also fired a league-best 87 shots and finished a plus-10 during his 21 postseason games. Carter probably would have been the league's playoff MVP had it not been for the stellar performance of Phantoms goalie Antero Niittymaki (1.75 GAA; .943 save percentage).

Richards didn't get to Philly until the second round of the playoffs, but he quickly gained the trust of head coach John Stevens. The Phantoms' bench boss sent Richards onto the ice in just about every situation, including key defensive-zone draws. Richards responded with seven goals and 15 points in 14 playoff games. He had three power-play goals, two short-handed goals and three game-winners while posting a plus-8 rating.

Fans can expect to see both 20-year-olds in Flyers uniforms on opening night. Both players were drafted in 2003. Carter was selected with the 11th pick, while Richards went 24th