Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phillycrew

That used to be us - Friedman and Mandelbaum  Old by now but still a good read.  For all the teachers or those interested in education, I thought he made some good points.

The Unwinding - George Packer.  Some great stories.  Nothing like some biographies that show so many perspectives of the American experience.

I am looking for some interesting business/financial crisis books/articles if anyone comes across some.

Rome

General_Failure

I've been rereading Neal Stephenson books, and I'm starting to think he's not as good a writer as I want him to be. Or he's a shteinbag. Or he's got ideals that I can't get behind after seeing their attempts in the real world. Might be all three.

I could probably forget about his love of cryptocurreny, open carry groups, writing about how poorly treated Christians are, Glorious Nippon, his successfully funded Kickstarter campaign that hasn't delivered the product that was promised to the poor suckers who backed it, and his 18th century suits. I could forget all about that stuff if I didn't know that any time a decently written female character shows up in his books, she gon' get raped. Sometimes gang raped, sometimes multiple times over the course of the story.

Oh, hey, here's this character. She's doing stuff. Oh no, now she's in trouble and now there's a fleshpop in here for no reason. Don't you feel bad for her now? Boy, that was tragic. I sure hope it doesn't happen- there's another dick! This woman has somehow become a magnet for rapedicks! How ever will she make it to the end of the story? Oh, wait, these male characters got unwanted dicks up the butt here, that evens things out a little.

Honestly, I think he's written three books where someone's not getting surprise sexed, and one of those still had an attempt at it. That's kind of a zesty track record, and maybe just a tiny bit lazy. So that leaves two books, and one of those is about math monks from an alternate universe so full of bullshtein made up words I never bothered to read it twice.

Between this and Terry Pratchett's slow descent into Alzheimer's I'm really running low on can't-miss authors.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

I started reading THIS today and I'm 200 pages in.  Had to take a break from it because my brain is literally going to explode.

Holy shtein...

Rome

Finished it.  Absolutely brilliant.  One of the best books I've ever read. 

Jesus...

Yeti

I'm going to give that one a read. 
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

Rome

You have to like tech and post-apocalyptic dystopian themes, but his world building is just astonishing.   It's like Phillip K Dick on HGH.

hbionic

I too will take that recommendation. You better not let me down Romey.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Munson

Fall of Night, Jonathan Maberry's followup to Dead of Night, was awesome. Again he's not the best writer in the world but the story is fun and cool and zombies. Most entertaining zombie books outside of World War Z for me.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

The Peripheral, by William Gibson. I really enjoyed Gibson's last three books, but it was nice to see him take another stab at the future, especially since he does two different points in the future with this one. Easily the best book I've read in the last two years.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Don Ho

I always like to read when I travel.  If I don't have anything I'll grab a book my son has already read for school or will later in the school year.  I recently grabbed ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY by David Sedaris.  Loved it.  Funny, witty, just a great read. Excellent collection off short stories based on his life.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyPhreak54

Sycamore Row by Grisham is really good

It's another story with Jake Brigance as the lead

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

My cousin handed me 48 Laws of Power over the weekend and told me to read it.