Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smeags

Either way I want to see Ramsey suffer a lenghty, painful death.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Munson

Trailer this sunday at 8:59
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

As predicted they are using the GoT trailer to pimp that Vinyl show.

Eagles_Legendz

Seems unclear if it's actually a trailer or a short teaser promo.

Eagaholic

Quote from: Munson on January 17, 2016, 12:57:49 AM
Does Davos, in his post as Hand of the King and, with no living heirs for Stannis, the Protector of the Realm, use his title to legitimize Jon? I imagine not many people would buy a lowborn "king" who is serving as King over nothing with no followers as actually being able to do it, but...it makes the most sense to me. I don't see how else he could become "Jon Stark".
Although it seems unlikely, it is probably less far fetched that Davos would bring up Gendry as Stannis' heir rather than Jon, as he was a more legit heir of Robert. Davos even helped Gendry escape Stannis. Still though, who is left to follow Davos? His people were apparently killed or deserters, and Davos is the Hand of an empty kingdom given the apparent route at the hands of the Boltons & Co. Dragonstone has nothing to offer.

Still, Davos is highly principled and could legit argue Gendry's right to succession over Tommen, who, according to Maggie the Frog's prediction, shouldn't last very long anyway. Joffrey and apparently Myrcella are already gone, so Tommen's next, creating a huge vacuum at the IT.

Who fills that?? Tons of possibilities. I'll place my money on Little Finger having his hands in it.

I think the High Sparrow will end up a pivotal power figure in Kings Landing affairs of state for a while and it will be very interesting what happens when the faith of the Seven zealots eventually collide with the Lord of Light zealots (unless Cersei crushes them first). But a Mel and Sparrow showdown could be greater than Olenna/Sparrow.

Lastly, it could create a very interesting tension if Magaery and the Tyrels have to join forces with Cersei and the Lannisters against the Sparrows who may want to imprison them all. What if Olenna's regicide comes to light before the High Sparrow? Very interesting lines are being drawn as things start to merge.  Oh, and need we mention, Winter is coming?

Munson

Quote from: Eagaholic on February 13, 2016, 12:01:47 AM
Quote from: Munson on January 17, 2016, 12:57:49 AM
Does Davos, in his post as Hand of the King and, with no living heirs for Stannis, the Protector of the Realm, use his title to legitimize Jon? I imagine not many people would buy a lowborn "king" who is serving as King over nothing with no followers as actually being able to do it, but...it makes the most sense to me. I don't see how else he could become "Jon Stark".
Although it seems unlikely, it is probably less far fetched that Davos would bring up Gendry as Stannis' heir rather than Jon, as he was a more legit heir of Robert. Davos even helped Gendry escape Stannis. Still though, who is left to follow Davos? His people were apparently killed or deserters, and Davos is the Hand of an empty kingdom given the apparent route at the hands of the Boltons & Co. Dragonstone has nothing to offer.

Still, Davos is highly principled and could legit argue Gendry's right to succession over Tommen, who, according to Maggie the Frog's prediction, shouldn't last very long anyway. Joffrey and apparently Myrcella are already gone, so Tommen's next, creating a huge vacuum at the IT.

Who fills that?? Tons of possibilities. I'll place my money on Little Finger having his hands in it.

I think the High Sparrow will end up a pivotal power figure in Kings Landing affairs of state for a while and it will be very interesting what happens when the faith of the Seven zealots eventually collide with the Lord of Light zealots (unless Cersei crushes them first). But a Mel and Sparrow showdown could be greater than Olenna/Sparrow.

Lastly, it could create a very interesting tension if Magaery and the Tyrels have to join forces with Cersei and the Lannisters against the Sparrows who may want to imprison them all. What if Olenna's regicide comes to light before the High Sparrow? Very interesting lines are being drawn as things start to merge.  Oh, and need we mention, Winter is coming?

Yeah i didn't think he'd support Jon as a king, just kind of wondering out loud what it's going to take to legitimize Jon as a Stark, as it typically takes a King's decree to do so.

In the books there's a failsafe for Jon's legitimization, but that hadn't been mentioned in the show.

speaking of the books....I said 'farg it' and have spent the last two months slacking off my grading and lesson planning to read. I skipped a LOT of Jaime and Cersei's chapters in AFFC because the interwebz said we might be getting some of that in this season. Also skipped Sam's in AFFC once he left for Oldtown, as I assume we're getting that this season too.

Before I read those, I read the Knight of the Seven Kingdoms short stories which were good. It's a shame that GRRM is going to die before finishing ASOIAF, or not too long afterwards, because I'd love to see him have time to pump out more short stories from teh world.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

Cersei's stuff has been covered in the show.  No need to skip that.  Parts not included have been dropped.  It does look like they're including some of Jaime's stuff from AFFC though.

Munson

Yeah I skipped hers more as a precaution of her getting information on Jaime's exploits while he was in [spoiler]Riverrun[/spoiler] She only had a couple chapters in Dance and those were definitely covered on the show.

I skipped Brienne's in AFFC too just because I wasn't sure if they'd include some of her stuff in the show this season. I honestly have no idea what she's going to do now that Stannis is dead. I guess continue to look for Sansa, but 3 seasons of the same storyline seems a bit stale for this show.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on February 12, 2016, 06:01:13 PM
Seems unclear if it's actually a trailer or a short teaser promo.

Short teaser promo with no Season 6 footage. It leaked and it's bullshtein.

Munson

Yeah, forreal...farg HBO.

"Lots of people hype up possible Season 6 trailers only to have it be nothing new."
"Lots of funholes."

smeags

So millions of nerds got punk'd.

:-D
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

QB Eagles

I was disappointed in Season 5 and am nervous about Season 6 now that they are mostly off the books. I'm desperate for any evidence that one of my favorite shows hasn't jumped the shark. [Honestly I could say the same about the books.] A good trailer could reignite my hype. This was not a good trailer.

Eagles_Legendz

IMO season 5 was better than its AFFC/adwd equivalent save for some mega gaffes (Sansa rape, Dorne). 

I am hopeful about this season from what I've read.  The one thing I have ZERO excitement for and wish they cut out was Dany with the Dothraki again.  Seriously do not care whatsoever.   It's a stall tactic in source material.   I wish the show just aborted that, had her manage Meereen for half a season with Tyrion and Varys, and then have Jorah accidentally unleash the plague leading to a forced evacuation.   Gets her shtein together and announces invasion of Westeros.  That arc for a season is infinitely more interesting to me than what will be the inevitable Dany is poorly treated by Dothraki before convincing them to follow her crap which will probably last 6-7 weeks. 

QB Eagles

Dany's Season 1 plot was great. Since then its only been sporadically entertaining. I agree that this new Dothraki thing seems predictable as hell.

Dorne was the worst thing ever in the show. It's going to get a mega-eyeroll from me when Episode 1 shows Jaime and Bronn sailing into King's Landing with Myrcella's corpse instead of immediately turning the boat around and sailing the 200 feet back to Dorne and asking why they killed the princess. Then again, the less time spent on the Sand Snakes, the better. Somehow the show even ruined a short-haired Italian girl with epic tits.

Munson

Yeah after reading the books, I don't know if it would have been possible to get everything from Dorne into the show, but the way they changed it ended up being really lame.

I think they could have at least tried to work Arianne in there. But there was no way they could spend enough time to really show everything that went on in AFFC.