Social Media

Started by Diomedes, July 18, 2011, 04:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

i rarely post on FB anymore, but the other day i got a recommended friend popup.  Its a family friend who died last May.  I think they need to delete that thing. 

I switched over from myspace to fb pretty early, just to get away from the bullshtein that myspace turned into.  Facebook has turned into the same thing.  Unless its funny, i dont care about your kids fever. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

the shtein that absolutely infuritates me is when i see someone thank someone for dinner the other night or ask them what time do they wanna meet at the bar tonight....cant you farging email or call the person for this

at least the peoplee that post "on my way to dinner tonight" dont hide the fact that they are an attention whore...its awful but theres some sort of respect there because they are just so in your face about it...but the others are not really thanking their friend for a good time they are masking the fact that they want everyone to know what they did under the guise of a thank you to someone they could have told directly
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

The attention whoring gets old.  I just started deleting people because i got tired of seeing their shtein take up the entire thread.  Usually my posts revolve around sports, my dog, or being hammer drunk. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Munson

Yeah, thanking someone for dinner on facebook is almost as bad as thanking them in person, in earshot of other people around you to hear!
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on November 03, 2011, 12:26:34 PM
The attention whoring gets old.  I just started deleting people because i got tired of seeing their shtein take up the entire thread.  Usually my posts revolve around sports, my dog, or being hammer drunk. 

why dont you just block them...unless you dont really give a shtein about them to begin with?

i have every single one of my friends
even my dearest ones
even my girl
completely blocked
so nothing hits my page in anyway
except private messages

and i only keep people as friends who i communicate with or see on a regular basis

also id sooner cut my gib off than post anything on my page...cept pictures....and i never publish those

hosting pictures and getting in touch with lost friends or family is the only thing i really get using facebook for

the best thing facebook ever did was incorporate your friends list with aim so it just automatically melds the two together as thats where i do all my online commucation outside of email

hbionic

The weird part of facebook is that I have friends, who never initiate a call to me, suddenly have communication with each other and know what the farg is up. Just the other day, a buddy who is always too busy to call, so it's me that has to pick up the phone (its been like this forever), is farging chatting it up with everyone else who is too phone-phobic. I'm the odd man out?

Jesus what is wrong with people. People really don't like the nuisance of interacting with people live. farg. I thought texting was bad.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Seabiscuit36

Facebook changed their settings a while back, you couldn't block someone's posts.  Felt like a fleshpop, but I was hammered and said farg it. 

Thats pretty much it for me too.  I'll throw up some pics of the dog for family, or shtein that we're doing.  It's an easier way to send pictures rather than email. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: hbionic on November 03, 2011, 12:45:08 PM
Jesus what is wrong with people. People really don't like the nuisance of interacting with people live. farg. I thought texting was bad.

this pretty much sums it up...and its makes me sad...now its like what the best possible way to tell the most people a little bit instead of telling a few people a lot

facebook is like that person on the train who in appearance is talking to the person next to them but in reality wants everyopne on their car to hear about them so they yell when they talk

hbionic

Agreed.

Also, it gives that little farg, the anti-social, or the socially inept, more power, and enough of an outlet to think they themselves the friendliest farg on earth and their lives are great. You know this when any time you talk to them, they reference something on facebook.

farg them.

Munson

Sound like a bunch of old men talking about children and their new fangled phones. Write a damn letter!

I'm not going to call or email someone for a 3 or 4 sentence quick conversation. Waste of time, and yes my generation finds it weird to do so. I'm not going to call my ex's friend from HS that I still talk to about music since we have similar tastes, to talk to her about music. It's farging weird. I'd much rather send her a youtube link on facebook, and then talk about what we like/dislike about the song. Then I'll see her out at the bars and we'll have a longer conversation about life in general. If other people don't want to see it on facebook, they are welcome to not read or hit the little "x" at the top of the posts that hides them from their view.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

BigEd76

"Hello?"
"Hey it's me.  You know that picture you posted where your mom is holding the baby?"
"Yeah."
"I like it."
"OK...and...?"
"That's all.  Talk to you later.  Bye!"

yeah, that's so much better

hbionic

Yes, I agree that it does fill a niche of communication that real life can make difficult sometimes. I guess my problem is when someone's primary method of communication becomes facebook. Worse when they have a phone and they're on facebook.

Munson

I'm not gonna call my buddies for a 2 minute convo on what they're doing this weekend either. Sure, I'll call them the night of to see where they'er going/should I bring beer/etc....but now, on a Thursday, I'll write on my friends wall and ask him what he's getting into Monday night for the game.

Rome

I get bombarded with maudlin shtein all the time too but there's a rare nugget (see abortion clinic costume photo) that someone posts that make the rest tolerable.

It's kinda like here, actually.  The Victoria Secret chick thing was awesome and made the rest of it much less vomit-inducing.

PS... Shut up.  It's just the Internet, Romes.

ice grillin you

sending someone a photo is fine
Quote from: BigEd76 on November 03, 2011, 01:06:54 PM
"Hello?"
"Hey it's me.  You know that picture you posted where your mom is holding the baby?"
"Yeah."
"I like it."
"OK...and...?"
"That's all.  Talk to you later.  Bye!"

yeah, that's so much better

who says hello on email?

if you have a picture email it to a friend...even sending a picture on facebook is ok altho most of the time its to draw attention to yourself not because you want to really show someone...but whatever it you need 400 of your "friends" to see it more power to you

the much larger problem is when people post on their facebook page for all to see "heading up to walmart to buy a frame for this awesome picture of little jenny i have"