2011 Flyers Offseason Thread

Started by Rome, May 09, 2011, 02:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: Rome on June 23, 2011, 07:18:41 PM
why the farg would tampa ever do that?

no chance.
It could happen... if the Flyers also threw in Giroux/JVR/5 1st round picks and the Liberty Bell

ice grillin you

well something huge has to happen....they cant have a net loss of like 35 goals out of the lineup and not replace them
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 23, 2011, 07:31:32 PM
well something huge has to happen....they cant have a net loss of like 35 goals out of the lineup and not replace them

QuoteTSNBobMcKenzie

Bryzgalov gets $48M in first 7 years of deal. $2.25M in Year in 8, $1.25M in Year 9. Let's call it a 7 year, $48M deal. It's 9 yrs/$51.5M.

Here's Bryzgalov's year by year: $10M, $6.5M, $8M, $6M, $6M,, $5.5M, $5.5M $2.25M, $1.25M.

meh at that deal. There goes the cap space for anything big happening. I like their young core of centers but their D and goalie are cup run ready.

SunMo

there goes the cap space?  they still have like 8M available.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SD

Quote from: SunMo on June 23, 2011, 07:42:33 PM
there goes the cap space?  they still have like 8M available.

Probably closer to 6 or 7...does that get you a Stamkos?

SunMo

oh, well if getting stamkos is the gauge of trades and signing bryzgalov then all the deals made today were horrible because, no, they can't get stamkos.

SD

well who else is out there that will make a big impact? Brad Richards? Pass

Weren't we having this exact same argument yesterday in reverse?

SunMo

probably.  but, i just get the feeling you don't like Bryz.

are they going to be as good offensively with this current team?  no.  do they need to score as much with a top tier goalie?  no.

they very well could just re-sign Leino and count on JVR and Giroux to keep progressing.

SunMo

also, this just wasn't about cap room, you don't trade your captain for cap room, this was about changing the culture in the locker room.  with the cap increase, they could have traded one other player and kept both Carter and Richards.

SD

I love Bryz and I love that they finally got a stud goalie. No arguments from me there, the people who are hating on the Flyers deals aren't taking getting Bryz signed into consideration. I just hate the cap hit and the length of the deal.

I liked the Carter trade.

The Richards trade I'm not in love with. The hope is Schenn turns into Richards...so why even bother making that trade? I like that they're stocked with young guys but this team is built more so for a cup run than they are to rebuild with young guys.

SunMo

richards has been putrid the past two years, combine that with the fact that he apparently has paper mache shoulders and can't get along with his coach, i can see why they traded him.

i didn't hear that schenn could turn into richards, but i heard he has 30+ goal scoring capability and is labelled as a stud by anybody who follows that sort of thing, I don't think you can say the same for Richards.  also, don't sleep on the fact that today the Flyers unburdened themselves of 110 million in contract commitments to those two guys.  with long assed contracts that turn into no movement contracts on July 1, 2012

SD

Richards hasn't been putrid. He hasn't resembled the player we saw in 07/08 but he's still a lock to add 25 goals and was one of the best PK killers in the league. His per year cap hit wasn't bad for all that he gave the team. I do agree Pronger should be wearing the C and I think his presence had a lot to do with Richards change of attitude.

I've been scouring NHL boards to see what fans from around the league think and the general consensus is that Holmgren has lost his mind.

SunMo

of course they think that, they don't live here to watch a miserable captain who doesn't talk to the media, doesn't get along with his coach, and doesn't work in the offseason to improve.

jesus, igy would've had richards' baby a few years ago and can't stand the guy now, that should tell you all you need to know

SD

Quote from: SunMo on June 23, 2011, 08:13:22 PM
of course they think that, they don't live here to watch a miserable captain who doesn't talk to the media, doesn't get along with his coach, and doesn't work in the offseason to improve.

jesus, igy would've had richards' baby a few years ago and can't stand the guy now, that should tell you all you need to know

Quote from: SD on June 23, 2011, 05:40:24 PM

Richards was expected to be the next Clarke, and for a while he looked like it. But he wilted under the pressure.

I'm not saying he hasn't turned into a giant douche and I can't ever remember a Flyer who went from one of my all time favorites to a player who I despise in such a short period of time...but to me if the goal is to make the cup you keep players like Richards around, you don't trade them for a good prospect and a 3rd liner.

SunMo

you think they didn't get enough?  hell, i think they fleeced the Kings.

they got a top prospect and a winger for an oft-injured center who doesn't work on his game