2010 Winter Olympics

Started by BigEd76, February 13, 2010, 02:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

Crosby: "Everyone saw the way the game is supposed to be played the last couple weeks"....as in the bare minimum physicality.

I hate him more than any athlete right now.

I like the excitement and shtein of the Olympic games but hockey without the physical aspect is just not hockey.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

Rome

munson - what the hell are you talking about?    that game was extremely physical.  there was banging all over the place.   good solid intense action all over the ice.  what was missing was the thuggery which the nhl can do without.

Munson

He was talking about the whole tourny in general. The only reason why the USA/Canada game had that much hitting is because it was played between all NHLers, and that's how hockey's supposed to be played.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

the game drew a bigger audience than any world series game since 04, any nba finals since 98 and was only beaten by the national championship and of course the nfl.

wow. and again, i doubt the 65 year old ladies in sioux falls who eat the olympics up sat through a 3+ hour hockey game.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: KDS on March 01, 2010, 01:27:41 PM
the game drew a bigger audience than any world series game since 04, any nba finals since 98 and was only beaten by the national championship and of course the nfl.

wow. and again, i doubt the 65 year old ladies in sioux falls who eat the olympics up sat through a 3+ hour hockey game.

of course they did...but they watch for the american flag...not the high level of hockey being played...i didnt watch it but im sure colorado detroit last night was just as good if not a better game than usa canada just without the hype pomp and pagentry

sundays game was no different than non football fans watching the superbowl every year...or why a lot of people will watch the world cup this summer who dont watch a lick of soccer any other time
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

i have a hard time believing that a significant number of americans tune into the world cup just because it's the world cup.  the super bowl, yes.  world cup, no farging way.   at least with the super bowl, there's production value to it outside of the game itself.  there's the (now mostly lame) commercials, the half time show and a lot of, as you said, hype and pagentry. 

the world cup has none of that.  maybe there is if you go in person but def not for the tv audience. 

btw....i could be totally wrong on this as i've never actually tuned into a world cup game on tv.  for all i know, there could be nekkid bitches oiling themselves up and making out in a giant tub of jello for every transition to and from commercial breaks.   

hbionic

The World Cup is bigger than you know. It might not be important to non-Latino/Hispanic Americans....but it is the biggest tournament that segment of Americans and ask Budweiser or Miller or Univision how big it is.

It's a cool farging thing to go watch at a bar...particularly an English Pub or something like that...hot bitches wearing jerseys of all kinds (usually brazil)...and lots of drinking and a good time. Highly recommend it...the U.S. has a decent team...so go root for them...while checking out the eye candy.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Sgt PSN

Quote from: hbionic on March 02, 2010, 11:35:30 AM
The World Cup is bigger than you know. It might not be important to non-Latino/Hispanic Americans....but it is the biggest tournament that segment of Americans and ask Budweiser or Miller or Univision how big it is.

on a world wide scale, yeah the world cup is probably the biggest sporting event each year.....or at least ranks in the top 3.  the world loves soccer.  the us doesn't and my commentary was us oriented.  yeah, i know that the hispanic community loves them some futbol, but i would imagine that if you take the entire country into consideration, soccer probably just barely cracks the top 10. 

It's a cool farging thing to go watch at a bar...particularly an English Pub or something like that...hot bitches wearing jerseys of all kinds (usually brazil)...and lots of drinking and a good time. Highly recommend it...the U.S. has a decent team...so go root for them...while checking out the eye candy.

meh, i can go to plenty of bars that won't subject me to the awfulness that is soccer and still find plenty of eye candy in them.  and even if the bar's full of ugly bitches, i can most certainly drink until they start looking good if i so desire. 

ice grillin you

go to a bar during the world cup and youll run into a significant number of people who will tell you they arent really into soccer but watch the world cup...and im not talking about soccer bars they are crazy packed with soccer lovers...but just your average bar like a fridays or even a local bar that normally would never have soccer on will be showing world cup

Sgt PSN

the legion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. fridays

ice grillin you

they both suck...but fridays long island ice teas are usually money

result = slight advantage fridays

Sgt PSN

legion bartenders will make a lit per your specifications and will charge you a buck fitty for it. 

and they'll do it without putting soccer on the teevee.

result = legion giving fridays a cleveland steamer

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 02, 2010, 07:47:01 AM
Quote from: KDS on March 01, 2010, 01:27:41 PM

of course they did...but they watch for the american flag...not the high level of hockey being played...i didnt watch it but im sure colorado detroit last night was just as good if not a better game than usa canada just without the hype pomp and pagentry

sundays game was no different than non football fans watching the superbowl every year...or why a lot of people will watch the world cup this summer who dont watch a lick of soccer any other time

no sir. it was people like me who will only watch their local team in a big playoff game. because thats the only time we can possibly get into hockey with the nhl being the cesspool that it is.

soccer is a bit of a different beast. the world cup is the biggest tourney obviously and everything pales in comparison to it. mls is getting slightly better but its still a double a league and premiere league is on at 2 in the afternoon and 8 in the morning. so its tough to check the games out on top of seriously getting into an english league.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen