CF Financial

Started by hbionic, February 12, 2010, 12:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susquehanna Birder

Yes, through my employer. I'm not sure of the cost.

Why are you thinking about life insurance?

Geowhizzer

Quote from: hbionic on July 22, 2011, 06:55:25 PM
Does anyone here have a life insurance policy? How much do they run?

Depends on a number of factors: level of coverage, age, weight, whether you're a smoker, etc.

ice grillin you

i had perfect health and got a standard 100,000 dollar policy when i was 31 for $125
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

hbionic

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on July 22, 2011, 09:33:37 PM

Thinking of killing myself for some quick cash.  :)

I was tossing around the idea of speaking to a financial planner...but I'm a bit hesitant because 10 years ago, I spoke to one, opened up two mutual funds and was on my way for life insurance...but...got laid off, and everything fell through. I don't remember what these policies cost on the monthly.

I know you do not need a financial planner to set up a couple of mutual fund accounts...you can do that through your bank now days, but just tossing some stuff around...even an IRA. I just have to get a little more serious about money now.

IGY, $125 per month? Aren't there some policies that you can borrow against? Or am I thinking 401k's?

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Munson

is e-trade a good way to get started on investing and what not? Do they make it easy for normal people like me who don't know the 1st thing about finances/investing?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagaholic

Quote from: hbionic on July 22, 2011, 11:55:56 PM
Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on July 22, 2011, 09:33:37 PM

Thinking of killing myself for some quick cash.  :)

You do realize that if you did that you wouldn't be around to use the $, right?
So, you'd have to first make out a will stating who on CF would inherit what from you.

Can you give us any previews?

This might actually be a nice opportunity for anyone here who wishes to contribute what they would bequeath to some of us as their final token of love, esteem and appreciation.

Don Ho

Quote from: Munson on July 25, 2011, 12:34:41 AM
is e-trade a good way to get started on investing and what not? Do they make it easy for normal people like me who don't know the 1st thing about finances/investing?

Be careful as you're on your own.  It's not as easy as the commercials imply.  IF you have plenty of time to study and learn about the investments you are interested in, that will help. I've heard it's safe but I'd still be careful.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

lurking wierdo

The company that used to be Sharebuilder is now owned by ING direct. If you want to "dabble" or teach yourself about the market, this is a less expensive way to do it. You really need to keep an eye on your monthly membership charges.

If any of you want, I'll give you a couple of picks later in the week.

SD

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-of-America-to-charge-5-apf-1381425092.html?x=0

BOA is going to charge a $5 monthly fee if you use your debit card. Are they out of their farging mind? I'm tired of their nickle and dime shtein, been a customer with them for almost 15 years but now I'm through. Gonna bank with USAA instead.

Diomedes

I know a guy who was a big shot exec at Kodak in the sixties and seventies, been retired forever.  I'm reading that the company  is going bankrupt, which will hit their pensioners hard.

Made me wonder...is there such a thing as pension insurance?  As in, you pay a third party as a backstop in case the company who is obligated to cover your pension fails?

If not, I claim rights to the idea.  I'll be rich, bitch!!
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Pays the pensions BOOOOIIII!
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

phattymatty

buy insurance on that idea just in case.

and i'm not going to do research but i'm sure it's possible. you can buy insurance on anything if you are a vagina like most people. gimme my health insurance and i will gamble with the rest.

Sgt PSN

Anyone use credit score monitoring services?  Decided to try one out (freecreditscore.com) because I figured if nothing else, it might not be a bad idea for me to review everything since I'll be hitting the unemployment line in 90 days.  I hear that some employers can/do check credit reports for applicants (any truth to that?) so I should probably make sure they are impressed if they check mine. 

Anyway, 7 day free trial and then $15/mo after that.  Is it worth it or should I just cancel after my free trial now that I've gotten to look at my scores and everything? 

Diomedes

I would not pay anything to know my credit score, ever.  That's like paying for commercials.  farg them.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

i hear that free credit report website is hard to cancel, kind of scammy.

you're allowed one free credit report a year by the 3 major credit companies (equifax, transunion, something else)

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

i usually do it once or twice a year just to make sure no farg faces are using my ss# or anything to open credit cards.