2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

look, newbie, i appreciate the fresh blood. but its just best to ignore everything mpmcgraw says. his only purpose here is to antagonize people, mostly over some sort of homoerotic crush he has on chase utley's hair and his ability to have a high ops and draw a bunch of walks.

dont get sucked into his mind games of pointless arguments and white baseball player worshiping.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Utley is better than Rollins, and has been for a couple years now, only because Utley is white and Rollins is black.

The end.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

smeags

so, could we start a phillies thread in the no hippos forum ?
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

charlie

Quote from: PhillyGirl on March 30, 2010, 10:17:58 PM
So Moyer in the 5 spot doesn't make you twitch a little?

No. Kendrick is a AAA guy who has had 3 or 4 years now of shots to make the rotation.

The 5th starter is completely irrelevant. The offense is so good on this team than anyone is going to go 9-7 in that spot. It really doesn't matter at all who is there. Moyer pitches well enough to keep the games close for the offense to beat up on the weaker teams in the 6th-8th innings.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: charlie on March 31, 2010, 08:32:40 AM
Moyer pitches well enough to keep the games close for the offense to beat up on the weaker teams in the 6th-8th innings.

Not usually.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

charlie

Quote from: PhillyGirl on March 31, 2010, 09:12:17 AM
Moyer pitches well enough to keep the games close for the offense to beat up on the weaker teams in the 6th-8th innings.

Not usually.

He was 12-10 last season, with an ERA below 5 after it was all said an done. Completely acceptable for a 5th starter.

Go around the MLB, how many #5 starters get 12 wins?

The only difference is when he's off... he's really off, so it looks worse than it is. He's fine for the #5 spot. 

SD

Quote from: KDS on March 31, 2010, 02:21:44 AM
look, newbie, i appreciate the fresh blood. but its just best to ignore everything mpmcgraw says. his only purpose here is to antagonize people, mostly over some sort of homoerotic crush he has on chase utley's hair and his ability to have a high ops and draw a bunch of walks.

dont get sucked into his mind games of pointless arguments and white baseball player worshiping.

Thanks for the heads up

and happy passover

SD

Quote from: charlie on March 31, 2010, 10:02:09 AM

Not usually.

He was 12-10 last season, with an ERA below 5 after it was all said an done. Completely acceptable for a 5th starter.

The only difference is when he's off... he's really off, so it looks worse than it is. He's fine for the #5 spot. 

Moyer gets a ton of run support, maybe mpm knows this off the top of his head but I'm pretty sure he's gotten the best run support of any starting pitcher (average) over the last 2 seasons. He doesn't depend on velocity so as long as his location his halfway decent he'll probably approach 10 wins again.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: mpmcgraw on March 31, 2010, 01:34:38 AM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on March 30, 2010, 12:16:40 PM
Quote from: mpmcgraw on March 30, 2010, 01:51:23 AM
ha remember when igy thought rollins was a better player than utley.  good times.

prior to 2009 season, there wasn't much doubt about that at all.  utley is better at the plate (although i still contend that dropping rollins in the lineup would improve his production at the plate), but rollins was def a more well rounded player.  utley's defense has improved tremendously though and he's clearly the superior player.  but this team's success and failure is still more on jimmy than anyone else on the team. 
No. 

Utley is the most well rounded player in baseball.  The only player who is better than him is Pujols and he is a top 5 right handed hitter of all time.  Utley takes the most extra bases on singles and doubles year in and year out and is the most efficient baserunner in baseball.  Better than Rollins.  Shockingly there is much more to baserunning than stolen bases.  Rollins has had one year where he was above average with the bat, and even then he didn't get anywhere close to Utley.  Utley has been the best defensive second baseman for years.  J-Roll adds more wins on defense than Utley, but compared to the rest of their respective position Utley is further ahead of the pack, mostly because second baseman in the MLB are generally awful at defense. 

There is a reason that stat dorks and scouts have no disagreement about what I said above.  Its because he is so blantantly better than everyone else at his position.  I don't expect anyone to watch as much baseball or read as much as I do, I'm a dork.  That's fine, but I'm right and the only way you can challenge anything I just said is if you throw out Grady Sizemore, who has a case as being a better baserunner than Utley.  So he might be the SECOND best baserunner or baseball or you could make an argument that Utley is the best player in baseball behind Pujols and Mauer, but beyond that...

RIF

smeags

Not usually.

so these are your supporting facts for moyer getting the #5 spot ?

charlie

Quote from: smeags on March 31, 2010, 11:52:49 AM

Not usually.

so these are your supporting facts for moyer getting the #5 spot ?

No, those are my opinions as to why it's not the end of the world that he is the fifth guy.

In reality he's there because he's making $8M, and his only competition in the spring is a career AAA #3 guy/career mop-up long reliever.

Between the two, it doesn't matter who is there.

smeags

i think the fact that he is making $8mil as the #5 guy does make it matter. no not the end of the world but moyer shouldnt be there and only is because of that salary.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

should we start discussing who our closer is going to have to be ?