2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

Moyer named 5th starter.

Kendrick to BP
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

PoopyfaceMcGee

Moyer bitched about being in the pen, and Kendrick is nothing special.  Not a big deal... In two months or so, Moyer's arm will fall off.

PhillyPhreak54

Yep, they better tell Pedro to keep throwing and be ready for after the AS break.

ice grillin you

how good would happ look in the 5 spot right about now
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Good.

How good would BRETT MYERS look in the rotation now?

MDS

lol you make no sense

myers is god
5 rules
hamels is a bitch

texas4life
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: KDS on March 30, 2010, 09:44:53 PM
lol you make sense

myers is god
5 rules
hamels is a bitch

texas4life

Settle down.

Myers WOULD be a nice addition at the 5 spot right now...can you really deny that?  ^-^
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

lol you make no sense

myers is god
5 rules
hamels is a bitch

texas4life

Myers is good and versatile.

5 does rule..OMG and todd drools!

Cole is soft batch Hollywood. Man up, and get some GRIT in yo life!

MDS

Quote from: PhillyGirl on March 30, 2010, 09:58:23 PM
lol you make sense

myers is god
5 rules
hamels is a bitch

texas4life

Settle down.

Myers WOULD be a nice addition at the 5 spot right now...can you really deny that?  ^-^

of course he would but logistically considering what they had to pay him, his injuries, and the fact that he is utter white trash i am not shedding tears over him being on the island of misfit phillies
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

So Moyer in the 5 spot doesn't make you twitch a little?

Sgt PSN

didn't he sign for next to nothing to play in houston?  pretty sure the phils could have kept him without breaking the bank. 

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on March 30, 2010, 09:19:05 PM
Good.

How good would BRETT MYERS look in the rotation now?

About as good as Cliff Lee would look. They kept Moyer because they have to pay him either way. I would have kept Myers for the bullpen or as an emergency reliever/5th starter rather than signing a guy like Baes.

Quote from: Sgt PSN on March 30, 2010, 10:23:14 PM
didn't he sign for next to nothing to play in houston?  pretty sure the phils could have kept him without breaking the bank. 

He got paid $5 million

mpmcgraw

Quote from: Sgt PSN on March 30, 2010, 12:16:40 PM
Quote from: mpmcgraw on March 30, 2010, 01:51:23 AM
ha remember when igy thought rollins was a better player than utley.  good times.

prior to 2009 season, there wasn't much doubt about that at all.  utley is better at the plate (although i still contend that dropping rollins in the lineup would improve his production at the plate), but rollins was def a more well rounded player.  utley's defense has improved tremendously though and he's clearly the superior player.  but this team's success and failure is still more on jimmy than anyone else on the team. 
No. 

Utley is the most well rounded player in baseball.  The only player who is better than him is Pujols and he is a top 5 right handed hitter of all time.  Utley takes the most extra bases on singles and doubles year in and year out and is the most efficient baserunner in baseball.  Better than Rollins.  Shockingly there is much more to baserunning than stolen bases.  Rollins has had one year where he was above average with the bat, and even then he didn't get anywhere close to Utley.  Utley has been the best defensive second baseman for years.  J-Roll adds more wins on defense than Utley, but compared to the rest of their respective position Utley is further ahead of the pack, mostly because second baseman in the MLB are generally awful at defense. 

There is a reason that stat dorks and scouts have no disagreement about what I said above.  Its because he is so blantantly better than everyone else at his position.  I don't expect anyone to watch as much baseball or read as much as I do, I'm a dork.  That's fine, but I'm right and the only way you can challenge anything I just said is if you throw out Grady Sizemore, who has a case as being a better baserunner than Utley.  So he might be the SECOND best baserunner or baseball or you could make an argument that Utley is the best player in baseball behind Pujols and Mauer, but beyond that...

SD