2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBIggle

PG shh. let us be miserable in peace.

in all seriousness were right back where we started.  we still only win 2 world series games.  actually, maybe less cuz we still don't have a bullpen.

oh, and we no longer have our top pitching prospect or one of the guys who might address one of 3 outfield positions that need to be in 2011.

i think alot of us feel like a new toy has been taken away.

and some of the ones we opened but didn't get to play with yet.

but don't realize whats inside the big one thats still wrapped.

or i need to stop drinking jager.

rubins a flag

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 16, 2009, 10:24:53 PM
Montgomery on 97.5: "we'd lose money; we are losing money" with a 140M payroll

but...but...its not about money...its about some middling prospects

i dont care about the deal either way...all im saying is be honest and call it what it was...a salary dump

that said LBI is spot on...the team is not any better than last year and arguably worse...now that doesnt mean they cant win the world series because they were close last year...and maybe this year they get a few extra brakes or they get to play a tampa again in the WS...but still the halladay deal is nothing to get excited about...the team probably improved their number 1 pitcher spot in a very small way but overall the team isnt significantly better
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

Quote from: LBIggle on December 17, 2009, 03:06:40 AM
in all seriousness were right back where we started.  we still only win 2 world series games.  actually, maybe less cuz we still don't have a bullpen.

i didn't realize that Cole Hamels and Brad Lidge will be as bad as they were last year...good to know
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

yeah and maybe the bullpen completely blows this year...and ja happ is in bethlehem at the all start break

people have career years and people bomb out...some people get better and some get worse...in the end it all equals out...and i see nothing in either direction that blatantly says the phillies are a different team than last year

Sgt PSN

still the team to beat in the nl and the only team i think that will make a serious run against them would be the cards, especially if they lock up holliday

ice grillin you

braves are +/- 3 games of the phils

Eaglez

All I can say at this point is that Ruben better know he is on a short leash with the fans at this point.  If it becomes abundantly clear that another top flight starter would put this team over the top as in the World Series this past year, then hopefully he's ready for people calling for his head.  Not many teams, especially in the NL, can win two World Series in a relatively short time span.  Hopefully this doesn't compromise that.

If Hamels develops a professional demeanor then this trade might not be that big of a deal.  But what made Lee such a fan favorite in so short of a time was that he had that professional demeanor and was all business on the mound.  You knew what you were going to get with him.  Hamels, at this point in the career, not so much. 

Drunkmasterflex

I am not making excuses for Cole because he does seem like a Cali bitch boy, but if I remember correctly he said coming into the season he didn't prepare properly.  He said that he spent too much of the off season doing appearances and such. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 17, 2009, 10:38:31 AM
braves are +/- 3 games of the phils

alrighty $50 spot on the phils winning the nl east this year. lets go you flag.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mpmcgraw

Their pitching is going to be pretty damn good if they stay healthy, but their offense is going to be just awful.  

MDS

problem is ill double or nothing him for the playoffs or some eagles bet or something and never see a dime.

Rome

That's because he bets like a fag.

Bet like a man you rich money-loving punk ass funhole.