2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

didn't see anything showing the 2010 free agents.  there's a few guys on there that i didn't even know where still in the league. 

3rd base is the priority....until figgins is off the market.  should he re-sign with the angels or sing elsewhere, then i think you need to focus on either a #3 starter or getting a top tier bullpen arm.  also, if they phils don't land figgins, what about going after jack wilson and moving him to 3rd?  he has an 8mil option and a 600k buyout. 

the only current phillie free agent that i think needs immediate attention is chan ho park. 

also noticed that micheal bourne won a gold glove this year.  wasn't he one of wade's draft picks?  there's quite a few former phils that came up through the farm that are out there playing fairly well and putting together at least half decent careers. 

MDS

they are gonna get a bottom of the rotation starter. lee, hamels, happ, blanton is good. someone about as good as blanton is what you can expect.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

i'm looking at happ as a bottom of the rotation starter.  mostly because he's young and poodied himself in the playoffs but also because i don't think the phils want to have all lefties 1 2 and 3 in the rotation.  and blanton's not a #3 starter imo.  he's right where he needs to be. 

i notice that john garland is only 30.  i thought he was a few years older than that. 

MDS

order of starters doesnt really matter until the playoffs. all you want to do is give lee and hamels the most amount of starts as possible, everyone is secondary.

and happ should be fine. i know some think there might be a little kendrick in him but he just got better as the year went on. what he is not a relief pitcher, not a situational guy. hes a nibbler. hes not over powering. bringing him in for a batter or two is silly, but considering what the bullpen was manuel didnt have a choice. and it really didnt end up mattering. they didnt lose because of him or any decision related to him.

moyer is done, pedro is done, drabek might be ready but you cant count on it. 5th starter is really not a big deal. they can even sign no one and scrap their way until july if no one internally can do the job. then you give up a random mid level prospect for an average kyle lohse/joe blanton type to get you by.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

i don't think happ is anything like kendrick and i do think he'll continue to get better, was just thinking that putting him at the bottom gives him the best opportunity to pitch against other bottom of the rotation guys.  of course, that would only hold true for maybe a month or so.  but yeah, my thinking is flawed though with where happ would be in the rotation because even putting him in the 5th spot, then you're still running lefties out there 3 games in a row except now it's happ, lee, hamels.  so yeah, until playoff time, that shtein really don't matter. 

as far as moyer goes, if his body is healthy, i'd actually be ok with starting the year with him as the 5th starter also, but keeping him on a relatively short leash.  or at least run with him until july when they can trade for someone better as you said.  of course, i think you only put moyer back in the rotation if there's absolutely nothing better available. 

PhillyPhreak54

Rockies, for some reason, declined the option on Betancourt.

Get.

MDS

hes about the same as ho chi. random somewhat decent middle reliever that probably wont be awful.

Sgt PSN

the phils could use a lot of won't be awful in the bullpen. 

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

i think tommy hanson should have won it but thats neither here nor there...however can someone in any way explain to me how happ got almost triple the votes of hanson
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

his team had more national attention
his team wasn't 7 games out for most of the season
he was used out of the bullpen while Hanson wasn't
he had a few complete games, including 2 shutouts, while Hanson had none

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on November 16, 2009, 04:48:35 PM
his team had more national attention
his team wasn't 7 games out for most of the season
he was used out of the bullpen while Hanson wasn't
he had a few complete games, including 2 shutouts, while Hanson had none

so how did coghlan win it then?

the last point is the only one that is relevant and still doesnt come close to overcoming the other numbers
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

stop whining nothing can be more irrelevant than some random marlin winning rookie of the year

PhillyPhreak54

Mister Nibbles shouldn't have won it. Coghlan, although he annoys me, tore it up and deserved it.