Rest of Baseball Thread 2009

Started by BigEd76, April 03, 2009, 03:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i fully expect him to be an intergal part of their 2010 division title and to possibly postpone bobby cox's retirement plans
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: KDS on January 27, 2010, 04:46:24 PM
lol charlotte is a god awful sports town for everything except unc and duke.

duke and unc play in/around raleigh, not charlotte. 

ice grillin you

hes saying its a college sports town (and nascar) not a pro

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 28, 2010, 09:40:57 AM
i fully expect him to be an intergal part of their 2010 division title and to possibly postpone bobby cox's retirement plans

you dont deserve a dynasty
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

Whitey McCloud, a very frail 98-year-old man living on your street, stopped you today as you were heading to your car to remind you that there are only 21 days left until pitchers and catchers report to spring training.

"Can you hear it?  Can you smell it in the air?  I'm sure all you kids out there are ready to leave your compunets and carphones behind to soak in the sight of our grand game!" asked Jackson, whose brain may or may not be at last failing him.  "Just 21 days. Only three weeks left until that magical time of year!"

When you informed McCloud that you were unaware of what he was referring to, McCloud offered a look of both disgust and horror.  "Baseball, my boy!  BASEBALL!  Jeezum crow, has time passed me by so much that youngsters today can't even get excited about baseball anymore!" asked McCloud, whom time has passed by with considerable swiftness and cruelty.

McCloud, who has gray hair sprouting from seemingly very orifice, also took time while stopping you to regale you with endless anecdotes about watching baseball and/or listening to baseball on the radio in the family parlor back when he was a very small child.  "I remember when ol' Joey Tin Shoes and I snuck into Ebbets Field!  Now THAT was a day!  We got peanuts for a nickel and had the time of our lives!  Let's see you do that while playing your Space Instigators!"

Psychologist Frank Marron of Carnegie Mellon University notes that, around this time of year, many elderly Americans feel the urge to express excitement over the beginning of baseball.

"It's a signpost in their lives," explains Marron.  "It means that they've made it another year, and that there may be hope that they'll live long enough to see at least one meaningless split squad game.  Or, if they're lucky, that they'll live through yet another entire, seemingly interminable baseball season."

Marron says McCloud, who apparently is unaware of the existence of more exciting sports such as football, displays many of the characteristics common to baseball fans who have been seemingly fossilized in amber for hundreds of years.  "Notice how disappointed he looks when you tell him you think baseball is boring.  That's very common.  Among the elderly, the brain has deteriorated to the point where they cannot comprehend the idea that baseball is dull and pointless, especially with the advent of the Internet and MMORPG gaming."

For his part, McCloud appeared undeterred by your indifference.  He handed you a dime.  "That's for a bleacher seat, sonny.  NOW GET READY FOR THE BOYS OF SUMMER!"

Sgt PSN

that's some pretty awful writing.  bad humor, a misspelling or 2, not to mention that it always annoys me when people say that baseball is boring.  granted, it's not as exciting if you're only looking for constant movement or hard collisions.  in order for baseball to be exciting, you actually have to take the time to study the game.  football or basketball can be exciting to anyone, even if it's the first time they've ever seen either sport.  baseball is definitely more of an acquired taste and is going to appeal to a smaller audience.  and i don't care if people don't like it.  but for the most part, the only people who bash it are people who have no farging clue at all. 

where, might i ask, is that horrible piece of poo from? 

rjs246

I played baseball for a decade and made all sorts of all star teams and traveling teams and watched baseball through most of college and know the game pretty goddamned well.

It's boring as shtein but it has all sorts of random statistics so it keeps people interested. It's much better to read a box score the day after than to watch a 9 inning game.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

you're one of the few exceptions.  you know the game, you still don't enjoy watching it and that's fine.  but most people who don't like it or who bash it, have never even tried to understand it.  it's a game of patience, both from a playing and watching standpoint.  and that's certainly something that's not going to appeal to today's society of instant gratification.

MDS

if you dont like baseball than you are a terrible, terrible person and as unamerican as glenn beck
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

you should probably start getting prepped for your target audience and refer to it as beisbol

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it