2008 Olympics

Started by Diomedes, July 06, 2008, 10:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

The Olympics suck.  As they are currently conducted, they bear little resemblance to the games from which they are allegedly descended.  To everyone except (some of) the participants, they are about money.  The town that hosts them does it for money.  The sponsors do it for cheap brand exposure.  The television broadcasts for ad revenue.  The whole thing is disgusting.

The coverage sucks...nothing but one womanish sob story after another, with Hallmark background music. I won't watch any of the coverage, though I will probably read about it.

Worse, these Olympics in particular find me in agreement with George W. Bush.  He's defending himself for not boycotting, etc.  I agree with him.  He should go, and behave like a civilized person.  farg that dick from France, he needs to learn some manners.

The spirit behind the original Olympics prohibit the politicization of the games.  The whole idea was to drop that shtein for a little while.  Sure, China sucks balls in a billion ways.  But so do most of the dirtbag nations participating.  And that's not the point.  The idea is we stop fighting, literally AND figuratively, for good spirited games.  We don't boycott, we don't criticize, we just play, and enjoy.

Or, that's how it ought to be anyway.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Two points. Otherwise I'm in agreement with you.

1. I think it used to be more about bringing money into the cities. It's still sold that way to the people living in the cities that host the games, but the fact is that cities have been losing money on the Olympics lately. These days the games are more about a) feeding the egos of the local politicians who bring the games, b) providing taxpayer-funded welfare to local professional team owners and developers in the form of new sports facilities and "revitalization" projects, c) giving wet dreams to city planners whose aesthetic visions of urban living have been failing both in the market and at the ballot box. All of a sudden it's acceptable for them to unleash all of their favorite mass transit boondoggles, target their least favorite areas for immediate gentrification, and basically redesign the city according to their own ideas about how other people should live.

2. None of the above applies to China, where the CCP can order bulldozers into a neighborhood whether there's an Olympics on or not. Instead, this could be the most explicitly political Olympics since 1936, since China wanted the games for the same reason as Nazi Germany: to announce their arrival as a major world power, and advertise the superiority of their political system, their race, and their way of life. I agree that Western politicians shouldn't get up on their soapbox and further politicize the games, but the fact is these games have been blatantly political since the second they were awarded to China.

Seabiscuit36

Michael Phelps is the shtein
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

He's a goofy looking motherfarger
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I want to lick Dara Torres' funhole lips raw.

Diomedes

She's the grandmother swimmer, right?

Rome

I don't think she's a grandmother yet.  I think she had a kid not too long ago.

She's old enough to me a granny, but damn, she's smokin' for a 40+ year-old broad:

shorebird

There are a lot of 20-30 somethin's that would love to have a bod like that.

Diomedes

Rome

Why must you ruin my fun?

Why, damn it!?!

Diomedes

You didn't notice that she has no breasts, biceps bigger than yours, and (ridiculous Maxim glam shot notwithstanding) a clark kent haircut?

Rome

Of course I did.  That's hot, man. HOT!

QB Eagles

shorebird

Pawina Thongsuk from Thailand, Snatch + Clean and Jerk = 600.86lbs!!

Now, she could be mistaken for a man.

PhillyGirl

Well, there's Amanda Beard:

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen