2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

There's nothing wrong with that move. They gave up nothing for him. Cardenas was a moderate prospect. But he wasn't ever going to play here while Utley and Rollins are here.

Nothing spectactular, but a decent move nonetheless.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SD_Eagle5

There is something wrong with this move. This is it, Joe freaking Blanton. Problem is he isn't much of an upgrade over Eaton. They needed another quality starter not an end of the rotation guy.

The BIGSTUD

Loser move by a loser organization. Good thing the Mets are horrible and have no shot to win the division.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Wingspan on July 17, 2008, 07:31:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with that move. They gave up nothing for him. Cardenas was a moderate prospect. But he wasn't ever going to play here while Utley and Rollins are here.

Nothing spectactular, but a decent move nonetheless.

youre looking at it small picture...big picture its a terrible move cause as sd said this is their pitching move for the season to win the world series
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Hmmm, I don't know.

I would have preferred Aaron Cook but I don't know if he was available. But the good news is Joe Blanton is young and he is better than Adam Eaton. That's what I will use to pacify myself.

They did not give up much at all.

The other bad news, and I haven't looked it up yet, is I think this cat is a fly ball pitcher.

And at least they didn't get AJ Burnett.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteJohn Marzano died from a fall

By Michael Klein

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Major-league catcher-turned-broadcaster John Marzano died of "postural asphyxia" sustained in a fall in his South Philadelphia apartment, the Medical Examiner's Office said today.

Jeff Moran, a spokesman for the M.E., said contributing factors in Marzano's death were blunt-force trauma and ethanol intoxication. He did not elaborate.

Marzano's widow, Terri, said this afternoon she was told that "Johnny Marz," 45, suffered injuries when he fell down the steps of his South Philadelphia apartment.

"I wear a size 7 and those steps were narrow," Marzano said, who teaches and coaches gymnastics. "They were quite a challenge."

The former ballplayer, who had started hosting a one-hour Webcast for MLB.com shortly before his death, was found in a doorway on April 19.

Marzano said she, his mother, Laura, and their daughters "have spent the last three months in complete horror and shock. We're all completely lost, scuffling around, to make sense of it. It's been especially hard on our daughters."

Dominique, 20, has a 9-month-old son, Jaden, and Danielle, 18, has a 6-month-old daughter, Ariana.

The couple had been married for 25 years, and had their ups and downs, she said. He had been living in the apartment on Passyunk Avenue but had been planning to move back to the couple's home in Washington Township, Gloucester County.

The babies had brought them closer together, she said.

John Marzano, a standout at Central High School and Temple University, was recalled as a passionate player and wisenheimer who had never forgotten his roots at 11th and Wharton Streets.

His father, John, who died in 1988, drilled his son on the fine points of the game and lived to see him play for the Boston Red Sox.

Marzano spent 10 years in the majors with the Red Sox, Texas Rangers and Seattle Mariners. He also played two years in the farm systems of the Cleveland Indians and the Phillies. He also played on the 1984 Olympic team.

After his playing days, Marzano had done postgame analysis of Phillies games on WIP (610) radio and Comcast SportsNet. He also ran a baseball academy.

"We miss him greatly," MLB.com spokesman Matt Gould said today, adding that the New York studio had been renamed in his honor. "His energy is still very much alive."

Terri Marzano said her husband was good for "100 text messages a day. I still expect to hear from him."

ice grillin you

Dominique, 20, has a 9-month-old son, Jaden, and Danielle, 18, has a 6-month-old daughter, Ariana.

active

BigEd76

Blanton is a #3....maybe a #2 on some teams.  His numbers stink this year but he's been decent the last two, and unlike the other pitchers out there he's not a free agent until after 2010.  Other than Burnett, there really wasn't anyone else available after Sabathia and Harden.  Cook wasn't available.....Bedard and Oswalt are hurt....Wolf is Wolf....Maddux is finished.  My reaction to this trade and what they gave up?  Meh.....no more Eaton = happy.

ice grillin you

lol @ "after sabathia and harden"....so besides the really good pitchers there werent any really good pitchers

they also could have waited closer to the deadline when presumably some other names better than fatty blanton will hit the block

i agree this is an eaton upgrade and not a terrible trade but its not going to win them the world series thus its a failure

BigEd76

They couldn't match Milwaukee's package for Sabathia and they didn't like the injury history of Harden.  What other options are out there?

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 17, 2008, 10:01:34 PM
They couldn't match Milwaukee's package for Sabathia and they didn't like the injury history of Harden.  What other options are out there?

you cant discount the top two guys and then say no one was out there...the reasons are irrelevant...once again there were and will be numerous guys better than blanton and for whatever reasons the phillies did not get them

ice grillin you

kurkjian is on espn now talking about blanton

said he has a 6.75 era his last 8 starts but has dominated the mets and phillies twice each and that they probably looked at that

also said a scout told him his split looked real good lately

BigEd76

Jake Peavy is not available

Roy Halladay is not available

Cliff Lee is not available

Felix Hernandez is not available

Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain are not available

so who did you want them to get?

ice grillin you

well id say harden or sabathia but apparently they dont count

MDS

gave up their #2 and #4 guys for a fat white guy whose a slight upgrade over adam eaton.

also what now with ja happ. hes back if there is an injury or if myers implodes. nice.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.