Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

good stuff Zan.  My wife and i have been eyeing up a house that's been Short Sale for a while now. It went off the market 2 weeks ago and we were hoping the Bank would just take a ridiculously low offer.  We went by saturday to look at the place with my Realtor(dad)  And it ends up it went off the market because a water pipe burst in the house on the second floor and flooded the house.  The moron owner didnt want to turn the heat on, and didnt realize pipes burst if they have water in them.  The guy bought the place for 420k, we were hoping to get the bank to accept 275 at the most.  Instead the realtor who has the house booked said it might go for far less based on teh massive damage.  It sucks because its a great neighborhood and really nice house. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

Call any friends who are contractors as well, not to solicit bids, but to get their opinions of your ideas and the ideas being pitched by the contractors you have spoken with.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

shorebird

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 02, 2009, 01:31:53 PM
good stuff Zan.  My wife and i have been eyeing up a house that's been Short Sale for a while now. It went off the market 2 weeks ago and we were hoping the Bank would just take a ridiculously low offer.  We went by saturday to look at the place with my Realtor(dad)  And it ends up it went off the market because a water pipe burst in the house on the second floor and flooded the house.  The moron owner didnt want to turn the heat on, and didnt realize pipes burst if they have water in them.  The guy bought the place for 420k, we were hoping to get the bank to accept 275 at the most.  Instead the realtor who has the house booked said it might go for far less based on teh massive damage.  It sucks because its a great neighborhood and really nice house. 

Man, you'd be suprised how many people turn off the heat without turing off the water and draining the pipes. I looked at a job the day before yesterday were the people had that exact problem with a summer home, and the insurance agent had come up from South Carolina for the week to look at 26 other homes on Delmarva that have had the same thing happen. All during the big cold snap two weeks ago.

I wouldn't be too discouraged. I know water damage looks bad, but if you get $200,000 or more knocked off the price, it's worth it. Bad as it probably looks, it can always be fixed. Look at it this way, you'd get to pick out all new paint, hardwood, carpet, etc.

Quote from: Zanshin on February 02, 2009, 08:06:55 AM
I know each of you is on the edge of your seat, so I thought I'd close the loop with an update.

I managed to borrow a commercial drill attachment snake via my father-in-law and drop it in through the open top of the pipe. There was a buildup of hair and assorted other sick smelling goodies about 12-15 feet in, which is why I couldn't get it with the smaller hand snake.  Took a few passes at it, and it seemed to do the trick.  Must have been just enough to let the washer water through, but not the volume from the sink.  Anyway, seems okay now.

Thanks for the replies on it.

:-D Yeah, believe it or not you did have me wondering if you had taken' care of the problem. Nice that you could do it without calling a plumber. I probably would have. I'm scared of those industrial snakes. It's easy to bust a pipe with those suckers, seen it happen with a pro running one.

Zanshin

Well, I figured if I broke the pipe, I'd end up calling a plumber...which was the only option other than giving the snake a shot in the first place. Solid risk/reward. Maybe with the money I didn't spend on the plumber I'll get my treadmill fixed. One thing after another these days.

Beermonkey

I'm trying to get my yard in shape for summer/fall parties and am looking for some advice on setting up an outdoor sound system on the cheap. I want to be able to play songs off one of my PCs or possibly off laptop we'd bring outside. I have a spare receiver and plan on buying the outdoor speakers next week. I can figure out how to route my PC sound output to the receiver, but am not sure how I can do it wirelessly from a laptop. Any advice?

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Tomahawk

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Feva

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

phattymatty

i tried to get a nest off my patio a few weeks ago, and as i was getting close to the nest, mamma bird came flying out of nowhere towards my face.  i ducked but it brushed against my head and then i got itchy and noticed i had spiders all over me.  guess those fargers fell out of her wings or something but it was nasty. 

hbionic

Quote from: phattymatty on June 09, 2009, 07:56:50 AM
i tried to get a nest off my patio a few weeks ago, and as i was getting close to the nest, mamma bird came flying out of nowhere towards my face.  i ducked but it brushed against my head and then i got itchy and noticed i had spiders all over me.  guess those fargers fell out of her wings or something but it was nasty. 

Hire a D.J.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

DH

this would send me to therapy for years.

PhillyPhanInDC

Motherfarging fire bomb that bitch bird. I did it a few times with a can of WD-40 and a lighter. Cruel? Nah. That bitch started it.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.