07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

A couple of minor updates:

-- Yoel Hernandez refused minor league assignment and will be a free agent.  Goodbye.
-- Former Devil Rays GM Chuck LaMar is the new Phillies Director of Pro Scouting

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: BigEd76 on October 25, 2007, 05:05:30 PM
A couple of minor updates:

-- Yoel Hernandez refused minor league assignment and will be a free agent.  Goodbye.
-- Former Devil Rays GM Chuck LaMar is the new Phillies Director of Pro Scouting :yay
He was pretty good at picking young talent
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

I'd hope the bums weren't this stupid, but the Amaro quote says all I need to know:
QuoteLefthander Romero likely to test free agency
By Todd Zolecki

Inquirer Staff Writer

It looks as if lefthander J.C. Romero could be pitching elsewhere next season.
Romero, who played a major role this season in helping the Phillies win their first National League East championship since 1993, appears far apart from the Phillies in early contract negotiations.

"We have had some discussions," said Dan Lozano, Romero's agent from the Beverly Hills Sports Council. "But I'm not too optimistic at this point. I'm waiting to hear back from the Phillies."

The Phillies remain hopeful they can get something done.

"We would consider it a priority to bring J.C. back," said Ruben Amaro Jr., the Phillies' assistant general manager. "He played a very, very important role for us down the stretch. We also gave him that opportunity to play that role after being released [by Boston]. I think it was mutually beneficial for both of us.

"If we had our druthers, we'd bring him back and we wouldn't let him get on the market. But as a free agent, he has every right to test the marketplace. That does not mean if he tests the free-agent market that we have severed ties. We certainly will continue to try to bring him back."

Romero would be a considerable loss from the Phils' bullpen. The 31-year-old went 1-2 with a 1.24 ERA in 51 appearances for the Phillies. He pitched extensively with closer Brett Myers and Tom Gordon in the final month of the season as the Phillies overcame a seven-game deficit to the New York Mets with 17 games to play.

The Phillies have few in-house candidates to replace him if he leaves. Lefthander Mike Zagurski (1-0, 5.91 ERA in 25 appearances) finished the season on the disabled list with a strained hamstring. Lefthander Fabio Castro (0-0, 6.00 ERA in 10 appearances) has not proven he can be a situational lefthander. And lefthander Matt Smith (0-0, 11.25 ERA in nine appearances) had Tommy John surgery in July.

These certainly are things the Phillies will discuss early next week, when they hold their organizational meetings.

Romero signed a one-year, $1.6 million contract with the Boston Red Sox before the 2007 season, but he seems in line for a considerable raise with more guaranteed years.

Other potential free-agent lefthanded relievers include Colorado's Jeremy Affeldt (4-3, 3.51 ERA in 75 appearances) and Washington's Ray King (1-1, 4.76 in 67 appearances). Last season, relief pitchers such as righthander Justin Speier (four years, $18 million) and lefthander Jamie Walker (three years, $12 million) received considerable contracts. Those could be good indicators when thinking about what Romero could be seeking.

The Phillies will continue to have exclusive negotiating rights with Romero until two weeks after the final game of the World Series. If a deal is not struck by then, Romero hits the open market.

LaMar joins Phils. The Phillies named former Tampa Bay Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar to be their director of professional scouting.

LaMar, 51, worked this season with the Washington Nationals as special assistant to the general manager and national cross-checker. He served as Tampa Bay's GM from 1995 to 2005.

The fall league. Lefthander Joe Savery, the team's first-round pick in June, is 0-1 with a 0.00 ERA in two starts for the Peoria Saguaros in the Arizona Fall League.

Third baseman Mike Costanzo, the Archbishop Carroll graduate and the team's top pick in 2005, is hitting .175 (7 for 40) with two home runs and five RBIs. He has struck out 16 times. Outfielder Greg Golson, the team's first-round pick in 2004, is hitting .214 (9 for 42) with no homers and five RBIs.
He doesn't owe the Phils a discount cause they gave him a chance last season, dipshtein

ice grillin you

yeah what an absolutely assinine comment...the phils were pompous clueless idiots before they made the playoffs...i cant imagine what they are gonna be like this offseason...i can def see the front office believing they are gonna win the division again next year if they do absolutely nothing this offseason
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

exhibit #22243/a why every phillies fan has nightmares over thoughts of Ruben Amaro being the next gm.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

QuoteThe fall league. Lefthander Joe Savery, the team's first-round pick in June, is 0-1 with a 0.00 ERA in two starts for the Peoria Saguaros in the Arizona Fall League.

Only a Phillies pitching prospect could lose with an ERA of 0.00.

ice grillin you

you know who hasnt lost in the arizona fall league?

kyle drabek

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 26, 2007, 01:51:26 PM

kyle drabek
but he did lose his arm in the minors
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 26, 2007, 01:51:26 PM

kyle drabek

No baseball player named Kyle will ever be good.

He should stick to NASCAR, surfing or BASS fishing.

PoopyfaceMcGee

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 26, 2007, 10:06:44 AM
yeah what an absolutely assinine comment...the phils were pompous clueless idiots before they made the playoffs...i cant imagine what they are gonna be like this offseason...i can def see the front office believing they are gonna win the division again next year if they do absolutely nothing this offseason

I hate Amaro with about the same amount of passion that you hate Banner, Lurie & Reid.

That guy is a prick. A pompous smarmy little dipshtein.

ice grillin you

i like reid i just think hes a bad coach
i dont mind lurie
i hate banner with all the force in my body

MDS

Schilling listed the Phillies among the teams he's interested in for his last season, but Boston is still his first choice. The Mets and Braves are also on there.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 27, 2007, 11:05:03 AM
i like reid i just think hes a bad coach, evaluator of talent and father. 

BigEd76

MLB4U.com predicts Andruw to the Phillies for 7/$161M and was serious when saying that  :-D