07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Season Thread

Started by SunMo, October 04, 2007, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

word is the flyers are in the runway to their locker room asking some nhl officials if they can give back the 4-2 lead
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 30, 2008, 09:42:20 PM
word is the flyers are in the runway to their locker room asking some nhl officials if they can give back the 4-2 lead
maybe im drunk but i dont understand what your saying
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

Seabiscuit36

oh yeah...

With 1.7 seconds left, i told the wifey its not over with the way they play with that type of lead
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

MDS

wait the puck is the black thing, right?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

phillymic2000

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 30, 2008, 09:42:20 PM

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 30, 2008, 09:43:48 PM
flyers hate two goal leads

:-D Thats dome funny ish man

rjs246

I just finished watching the game (had to take care of some shtein early). I farging swear this team is trying to give me a goddamned stroke.

Despite the fact that they were out-shot over the first two periods by a wide margin, I liked the way they played tonight a lot more than I have in any other game so far this series. The shots on Biron were mostly from the outside and he had a clear view of almost all of them. And even offensively they seem to get quality chances and were good at taking what was given to them.

This team isn't pretty but they are fun to root for right now.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

BigEd76

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 30, 2008, 09:37:57 PMi think a seven seed has won for like the last 12 years or something like that...theres very little home ice advantage and the regular season means less than in any other sport so "upsets" are very common

Leaving 4/5 and 3/6 out of it because they're usually evenly matched, here's proof:

2006: #8 Edmonton beat #1 Detroit, #7 Colorado beat #2 Dallas
2004: #7 Montreal beat #2 Boston
2003: #7 Anaheim beat #2 Detroit
2002: #8 Montreal beat #1 Boston, #7 Ottawa beat #2 Philly (that was the year where they scored 2 goals for the entire series)
2001: #7 Los Angeles beat #2 Detroit, #7 Toronto beat #2 Ottawa
2000: #8 San Jose beat #1 St. Louis, #7 Pittsburgh beat #2 Washington
1999: #8 Pittsburgh beat #1 New Jersey, #7 Buffalo beat #2 Ottawa
1998: #8 Ottawa beat #1 New Jersey, #7 Montreal beat #2 Pittsburgh, #7 Edmonton beat #2 Colorado
1997: #7 Edmonton beat #2 Dallas
1995: #8 N.Y. Rangers beat #1 Quebec, #7 San Jose beat #2 Calgary
1994: #8 San Jose beat #1 Detroit, #7 Vancouver beat #2 Calgary, #7 Washington beat #2 Pittsburgh

QB Eagles

The team with home ice advantage in the playoffs wins the series roughly 2/3 of the time, so it's not accurate to say that home ice doesn't exist or that there are no true upsets in hockey. The effect is significantly less than other sports, however.

Since the current playoff format went into effect, #1 seeds have beaten #8 seeds 21 times. The opposite has happened 7 times.  3-1 odds in favor of the home ice team.

#2 seeds and #7 seeds have split, 14 series wins a piece. Upsets here may be becoming more rare, as #7 only has won one of the six series since the lockout. But for the most part, beyond the #1 teams, higher ranked teams are only slightly more likely to win.

#1 vs. #6 doesn't occur often enough to reveal any true trends. Leaving out this year, I've counted three #1 wins versus one #6 win during the current format.

It's always an upset when the #1 seed loses, because there are many years where the #1s buzzsaw their way deep into the playoffs. They are far more likely than a #2 team to make the finals. But it certainly won't shake the world of hockey if the Flyers pull off the series upset. Unlike most years, when the #1 seed is obviously the best team, the Penguins are clearly superior to the Canadiens right now, and they have been for some time.

BigEd76

IF the Flyers win this series and face the Penguins in the conference finals, they'll have a chance to match what the 2004 Flames did......knock off all three division winners to get to the Stanley Cup finals

phattymatty

Quote from: FastFreddie on April 30, 2008, 08:45:36 PM
By the way, what's up with all this "For the win" shtein? 

i never even knew what ftw stood for until right now.   

i just found out tonight that the irish pub 100 yards away from my house now has a philly bartender.  meaning all his philly friends now come to the bar.  which is farging awesome.  it's been my neighborhood bar for a while but now it's almost like being home.

PoopyfaceMcGee

That beats a Berks County bartender, right?

SD_Eagle5

Biron is playing out of his mind right now. The Flyers need to put this one away Saturday night...Knuble talked about blowing a 3-1 lead to the Habs when he was with Boston and went back to the last series.

rjs246

Knuble looked good last night. Surprisingly so.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.