07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Season Thread

Started by SunMo, October 04, 2007, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

rjs246

So, uh, I guess Briere has figured out how to play over the last month or so. Holy jesus, he's a completely different player.
Huet was sick.
When the Flyers actually decide to play defense they're pretty goddamned good at it.
I was 1000% certain that they would lose this game after the Caps went up 2-1.

Word.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

i just got done watching the game on my DVR since my wife decided to make dinner plans tonight.

i usually set the DVR to record for 4.5 hours to make sure i catch everything, but i forgot that playoff hockey captures everything...

so, i'm watching overtime not only anxious they might lose, but only anxious as i watch the countdown on my dvr click closer to the 4:30 mark...Knuble's goal game with 2 minutes left on my memory

farging sweet
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

Huet has some crazy ass saves. And yeah, the Flyers were lucky because they slopped it up for a good while. I was waiting for the Caps to score there in the 3rd because it seemed like they had the puck in the Flyers zone forever. As soon as Briere scored, they woke up.

Eliminate those fargs on Saturday please.

And I want to see that little twat Crosby get punked by Richards next.

MDS

Quote from: SD_Eagle on April 17, 2008, 11:22:20 PM
Quote from: MDS on April 17, 2008, 11:16:59 PM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on April 17, 2008, 11:02:13 PM
The Eagles winning a SUPER BOWL would be better.

Winning a game? Uh, no. If you think an Eagles regular season win is better than a double overtime, sudden death playoff OT win, you need to ban yourself.

i guess for a diehard flyers fan, then yea. but the flyers are a clear 4th place in terms of city sports interest. but lets not belittle a nice win. i loved seeing that rooskie ovechkin right in front of the net when the flyers won it. farg him, back to siberia you little fag.

You couldn't be more wrong. Flyers blew last year yet there weren't many empty seats. Sixers blew and had one of the worst home attendance records in the league. Flyers are probably 2nd behind the Eagles. You could make an argument that the city likes the bums more but the Flyers have had some good teams over the past 15 years while the Phils have had maybe  1.

flyers have more of a loyal fan base than the other teams. but the mere fact that entirely more people play and know about football, baseball and basketball over hockey then make those professional sports more popular.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD_Eagle5

In the united states yes, in Philly no.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Knuble's my boy, but the Primeau goal in the 5th OT against the Pens tops last night.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: SunMo on April 18, 2008, 12:17:24 AM
i just got done watching the game on my DVR since my wife decided to make dinner plans tonight.

i usually set the DVR to record for 4.5 hours to make sure i catch everything, but i forgot that playoff hockey captures everything...

so, i'm watching overtime not only anxious they might lose, but only anxious as i watch the countdown on my dvr click closer to the 4:30 mark...Knuble's goal game with 2 minutes left on my memory

farging sweet

2 minutes left and Knuble wears #22! 2+2+2 = 6. Modry wears #26...his Father just died! Its clearly a sign!

SD_Eagle5

QuoteWise idea snuffed, rebuffed by lawyers
By Anthony J. SanFilippo, asanfilippo@delcotimes.com
PHILADELPHIA — Mike Wise had no idea who he was messing with when he took pot shots at the Flyers and their fans in a column he penned for Wednesday's editions of the Washington Post.

Wise, who admits he is more of a basketball pundit than hockey scribe, wrote a column begging for NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to fix the remaining games of the Flyers-Capitals Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. The idea was to get Alexander Ovechkin and the Capitals further into the playoffs for the purpose of promoting the league's brightest star.

In the process, Wise accused the Flyers of promoting violence and "sanctioned, unbridled assaults" with the JumboTron broadcast of Flyers fights throughout the season.

He later called the Flyers an "instant repudiation of what Gary Bettman wanted the league to become."

Perhaps the must repugnant Wise commentary was his attack on the Flyers fans, at one point saying the "women and children" in attendance at Game 3, "looked as if they could work security for Megadeath."

Uh, never lost for a sense of humor ... the Flyers didn't like reading such drivel. So, they decided to print 20,000 copies of Wise's column to hand out to each fan walking through the doors of the Wachovia Center for Game 4.

Unfortunately, not one of the copies was handed out, thanks to a lawyer for the Post who contacted the Flyers a couple hours before the game and politely asked them to cease and desist ... or else.

"We got a call from the Washington Post asking us not to distribute their story because we didn't get prior approval," Flyers vice president of business operations Shawn Tilger said.

But was that really the case?

A source told the Daily Times that Wise contacted his editor, expressing concern for his well-being if the column was distributed to that many people. The editor was said to have contacted the paper's lawyers, and in turn they reached out to the Flyers and cried copyright infringement.

It was also learned that if the Flyers wanted to ignore the complaint and pay whatever the fine would be, it would come at the cost of $750 per infraction.

When asked about his paper's decision to threaten the Flyers, Wise toed the company line about the copyright, but then hinted that it was because of his fear of facing the same demise as the opponents in the Flyers fight video that he railed so hard against.

"It's basically a copywriting thing," Wise said, "but I don't know if that's it for sure. Maybe it was because my personal safety could be in jeopardy, I don't know. That's just what I heard. Usually, 19,000 copies of my stories are thrown away, anyway, so I'm used to it."

But the Flyers were undeterred.

Instead of handing out the stories, they just highlighted some of the most egregious segments of the column and repeatedly flashed them on the JumboTron throughout the game.

Fans expressed their displeasure with Wise's comments by booing loudly every time one of the clips was displayed.

"It's almost flattering," said Wise, who received a few prank phone calls at his downtown hotel after a local radio station announced where he was staying. "My mom and sister don't even read my stuff.

"They were going to pass out 19,000 copies. They were putting pieces of it up on the scoreboard. That's a columnist's dream," Wise added. "Game 4 has become about me, not the Flyers and Capitals. The egotistical part of me is blown away by it. The personal safety part of me is just O.K."

NOTES: The Daily Times has learned the Flyers will unveil a new, third jersey for the 2008-09 season that is definitely of the retro variety.

A team source says the throwback jersey is orange and will be modeled after the 1970 Flyers road sweaters.

An official announcement is expected sometime after the playoffs.

http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/app..._Story_1916012

PoopyfaceMcGee

Retro 1970 orange Flyers jersey?

IN IN IN IN IN

PhillyGirl

Quote from: FastFreddie on April 18, 2008, 08:32:50 AM

IN IN IN IN IN

That.

And Mike Wise is a Hoyda.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

dis12

C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: PhillyGirl on April 18, 2008, 09:15:51 AM
Quote from: FastFreddie on April 18, 2008, 08:32:50 AM

IN IN IN IN IN

That.

And Mike Wise is a Hoyda.
what a fag, but how awesome is it that he was scared for his life
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on April 18, 2008, 02:33:49 AM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on April 17, 2008, 11:22:20 PM
Quote from: MDS on April 17, 2008, 11:16:59 PM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on April 17, 2008, 11:02:13 PM
The Eagles winning a SUPER BOWL would be better.

Winning a game? Uh, no. If you think an Eagles regular season win is better than a double overtime, sudden death playoff OT win, you need to ban yourself.

i guess for a diehard flyers fan, then yea. but the flyers are a clear 4th place in terms of city sports interest. but lets not belittle a nice win. i loved seeing that rooskie ovechkin right in front of the net when the flyers won it. farg him, back to siberia you little fag.

You couldn't be more wrong. Flyers blew last year yet there weren't many empty seats. Sixers blew and had one of the worst home attendance records in the league. Flyers are probably 2nd behind the Eagles. You could make an argument that the city likes the bums more but the Flyers have had some good teams over the past 15 years while the Phils have had maybe  1.

flyers have more of a loyal fan base than the other teams. but the mere fact that entirely more people play and know about football, baseball and basketball over hockey then make those professional sports more popular.

this is true...sixers have a way bigger fan base...just for the fact that black people dont like hockey....that takes away half the city when the flyers are making a run...nothing the flyers have done has ever compared to the sixers run in 2001...that took over the city that was in the same ballpark as the eagles...you also would never have a hockey player reach the levels of iverson or dr j popularity

flyer tickets are harder to get than sixers but sixers are way bigger
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous