Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Ha... Downie got only a slap on the wrist:

QuotePosted on Mon, Jan. 7, 2008

Flyers' Downie won't get suspended for sucker punch

By Tim Panaccio

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Steve Downie caught a break today.

Colin Campbell, NHL Executive Vice President and enforcer of discipline, gave him a stern warning about his sucker punch that left Toronto's Jason Blake with a black eye, but did not suspend him.

"We had a conversation with Mr. Campbell and that's it. The rest will be between the league, the Flyers and Steve," said general manager Paul Holmgren. "It was a good talk.

"It's Steve's [fourth] NHL game. He's walking a fine line there, which is basically what he was told. My conversation with Steve was a little harsher than Colin Campbell's."

Downie was suspended 20 games earlier this season for a bad hit on Ottawa's Dean McAmmond during pre-season.

Downie's double minor came late in the game and cost the Flyers as the Maple Leafs got a power play goal down 2-0.

"He's part of a team now and needs to think in those terms and not selfishly," Holmgren said. "I'm upset. It was Jason Blake. Jason is not a fighter. You get a player in that position and I don't Jason had his gloves off. I'm not happy about either. The fact that Steve put his team down is a different issue. That's a selfish thing. He'll get better."

Downie said he did a lot of listening and little talking.

"I took a penalty that hurt the team and I can't do that," Downie said, admitting he has again been put on notice by the league. "There's a fine line you've got to follow and I crossed it again. I got to learn."

The Toronto media made it a huge issue, but it was a cheap shot.

"It's Toronto, they blew it up a bit," Downie said.

Campbell did not impose any discipline on Pavel Kubina, who blatantly ran Braydon Coburn on the side boards earlier in the game. Coburn was badly cut, but with no penalty imposed. Holmgren said he and Campbell discussed the hit among themselves.

Seabiscuit36

QuoteCampbell did not impose any discipline on Pavel Kubina, who blatantly ran Braydon Coburn on the side boards earlier in the game. Coburn was badly cut, but with no penalty imposed. Holmgren said he and Campbell discussed the hit among themselves.
This was a much worse play, as bad as Bergeron's except Coburn got up.  Coburn had decent postion on the board, and being as big as he is helped.  He still got cut pretty bad. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

Toronto players are exempt from discipline.  That's a rule, actually.

Seabiscuit36

And the Maple Leafs are crying now about Dowd running into Colioacovo.  They are saying that he did it on purpose and should have the league looking at it.  And that they are steamed about Downie laughing as he went off the ice. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

It's bad enough that most of the officials in the NHL are from Ontario and routinely allow their pro-canadian bias to seep into their on-ice calls.  What's worse is having to listen to those choking flags in Toronto whining about other players when they themselves have had some of chippiest bitches in the history of the league playing on their team.

I mean, Christ... Tiger Williams, Tie Domi, Darcy Tucker... you gotta be kidding me with this shtein.

BigEd76

Quote"Nothing is broken around the eye. He can't see out of it, but that's why God gave him two of them. We're looking for him to play Wednesday."

ha

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: BigEd76 on January 08, 2008, 12:48:59 PM
Quote"Nothing is broken around the eye. He can't see out of it, but that's why God gave him two of them. We're looking for him to play Wednesday."

ha

The only thing missing is some reference to the angel of Sean Taylor.

Rome

Haha.  Who made that comment?  That's some cold-blooded shtein to say about one of your own.

Seabiscuit36

Seabiscuit36

QuoteHolmgren said he spoke to Campbell who - according to Holmgren's description - thought Coburn had turned his back just before the check.

"It probably should be a penalty but I'm not sure what [Campbell] thinks. But we did talk about it," Holmgren said.

The replay did not show Coburn turning, and coach John Stevens was certain yesterday that he had not.

"The puck was rolling up the board and he was trying to get it off the wall and he was moving sideways with the puck,'' Stevens said. "He didn't turn. But nobody wants to ask me about that."

my impression was the Hartnell hit was softer than this hit, Coburns only saving grace was he's 6'5, hell bergerons wasnt as bad, except Bergeron had bad positioning

Downie was sheepish when questioned after the meeting and said he needs to learn how to not cross that line everybody keeps telling him about.

"Toronto blew it up a little bit, but there is nothing I can do about it," Downie said. "There is a fine line you've got to follow and I've crossed it again. I've got to learn. I've got to learn to stay on the right side of the line."

BigEd76

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 08, 2008, 02:02:38 PM
Haha.  Who made that comment?  That's some cold-blooded shtein to say about one of your own.

His head coach, Paul Maurice  :-D

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: BigEd76 on January 08, 2008, 02:08:59 PM
Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 08, 2008, 02:02:38 PM

His head coach, Paul Maurice  :-D
he is the exact reason the Leafs have been neutered.  Had Downie hit blake like that back in 2004 there would have been a huge scrum

Seabiscuit36

Richards is centering Downie tonight.... Gonna be fun to see those two

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 08, 2008, 06:59:53 PM
Richards is centering Downie tonight.... Gonna be fun to see those two

And Downie has a goal.