07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Season Thread

Started by SunMo, October 04, 2007, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGM

Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 19, 2007, 01:04:25 PM
A big part of that is Biron.   The defense (especially the younger ones) can jump into the play and be more aggressive knowing that Biron is there is they make a mistake.

Last night on that breakaway - Biron was a rock.  Last year that was a goal whether it was Esche or Nitty.

I thought Biron was overrated (I figured there was a reason to start Miller over him), but he's been nothing but fantastic this season.

For sure.  I really don't think that Biron can keep up this level of play though, he has been border-line Hasek like with some of the acrobatic saves he is making.  I do believe, however, the D can consistently only allow one or two goals a game when Biron's level comes down a bit. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Rome

Here's the thread where the Biron trade was discussed and what we thought of it then:

http://www.concretefield.com/forum/index.php?topic=19057.740

General consensus was positive although some of you were insistent he wasn't an "elite" goalie.  He might still end up being a flash in the pan lemon although I doubt it at this point.  He's been stellar so far this season.

SD_Eagle5

The Defense obviously can improve but its refreshing to have guys that can skate back there rather than guys like Rathje and Gautier who were to slow to get into position and whose only defense was to sweep their stick along the ice and hope to disrupt the play.

BigEd76

4 of their 5 wins have come against Kiprusoff, Luongo, DiPietro and Brodeur.  Not bad...

ice grillin you

You know, I don't recall my opinion of the trade (though I do know that I would have preferred Giguere), but to start trying to rub Biron in anyone's face right now because they wanted a different goalie is farging retarded. They're 6 games into the season for god's sake. Just settle down, girls.

huh...you do know hes not a rookie?

the guy has been a top notch goaltender for the better part of ten years...he just needed his own team rather than a platoon system
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

I know and knew that he isn't a rookie and I knew that he had done well when he played, but he was never given the reins to a team and certainly was never elite. He was unquestionably an improvement no matter what and I don't think I poo-pooed the trade or anything, but he hadn't accomplished nearly as much as some other goalies who were going to be available.

Anyway, to judge him at this point 6 games into the season is retarded no matter what you're opinion of the trade is.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Geowhizzer

Hey, it probably won't last the entire season, but Biron has shown the best goaltending wearing the Flying P since...???

If he can keep that up, the Flyers will be very good this season.  A year ahead of schedule.

If he does come back to earth, the team will still be enjoyable to watch.  Infinitely moreso than during last season's debacle.

One game into igy's test stretch, the Flyers have looked very good.  I just wish Downie could play against Cindy Crosby.

rjs246

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 19, 2007, 01:36:10 PM
Here's the thread where the Biron trade was discussed and what we thought of it then:

http://www.concretefield.com/forum/index.php?topic=19057.740

Actually, everyone seems a little non-committal about the trade. And generally there wasn't an overwhelming sense of excitement. Meh

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD_Eagle5

Rome

I don't get why it's not appropriate to judge him based on these past six games.  His play thus far has alternated between great and phenomenal.  What's wrong with saying that?

dis12

free tix and dinner+drinks by the Flyers last night...not bad for being an ex-season tix holder. 
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

rjs246

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 19, 2007, 01:59:47 PM
I don't get why it's not appropriate to judge him based on these past six games.  His play thus far has alternated between great and phenomenal thus far.  What's wrong with saying that?

Nothing. But strutting around like you just impregnated God and snarkily looking for people who were down on the trade so you can rub it in their face is beyond idiotic when you're 6 games into the season.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on October 19, 2007, 01:46:30 PM
Anyway, to judge him at this point 6 games into the season is retarded no matter what you're opinion of the trade is.

no one is judging him on six games...i dont even know what means...hes been in the league for ten years including several really good to great years...whos judging him on six games?...if anyone had seen him play prior to getting to the flyers they would know that they got an excellent starting goaltender who is capable of winning a cup

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Quote from: rjs246 on October 19, 2007, 02:04:47 PM
Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 19, 2007, 01:59:47 PM
I don't get why it's not appropriate to judge him based on these past six games.  His play thus far has alternated between great and phenomenal thus far.  What's wrong with saying that?

Nothing. But strutting around like you just impregnated God and snarkily looking for people who were down on the trade so you can rub it in their face is beyond idiotic when you're 6 games into the season.

God would be lucky to have been impregnated by me.

rjs246

Bah! This conversation is retarded. He has played better so far this season than he usually has. It's too early to proclaim him a savior. That's it. farg.

Let them eat bootstraps.