07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Season Thread

Started by SunMo, October 04, 2007, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

I was a doubter, but they look incredible so far this season.

SunMo

Richards and Lupul are a great combination so far

I would like to see them do something with the first line though, I don't think Knuble fits there, I think they should give Hartnell a shot
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: SunMo on October 18, 2007, 09:39:50 PM
Richards and Lupul are a great combination so far

I would like to see them do something with the first line though, I don't think Knuble fits there, I think they should give Hartnell a shot
Upshall when he gets back  :yay
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

If I had two white-hot chisels handy I would have plunged them into both ears after having listened to the HD.Net crew tonight.  Beeezer is almost as putrid a color analyst as he was a goalie.  And I don't know how many times the PBP douchebag screwed up his commentary but it had to have been 25-30 times easily.  Oh, and the camera work was so far beyond horrendous it was worse than watching a high school crew televise a game on a public access cable channel.  The best part of the broadcast came in the 3rd period when they were completely silent and just let the crowd do the describing for them.

Anyway, other than those minor annoyances, I loved the Flyers effort tonight.  They kept getting ridiculous penalties called on them one after another in the first period yet their PP defense didn't surrender a thing.  Biron was flat-out incredible in net.  I was a little disappointed that the Flyers didn't get more offense going early on but how weird did it look seeing the Flyers counterpunch the Devils tonight?  The Devils looked like the Flyers of five years ago pouring shot after shot on net with nothing to show for it and seemingly the first chance the Flyers got to strike they took full advantage of.

Great defensive effort tonight by the guys, they had a great burst of offense in the second period to blow it wide open, and then they hung on the rest of the way playing great team hockey.

I know it's still early in the season but I'm beginning to heart this bunch, especially Mar-taaaaaaaaaan! 

ice grillin you

where are the people that when the flyers traded for biron said they gave up to much and that he wasnt a number one goalie??
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

lurking in the weeds, waiting for him to have a bad game

my favorite part of that argument was when they said the Flyers should have waited for Giguere to become a FA in the offseason and sign him, like Anaheim was just going to like the goalie who won them a Cup walk away
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

I wasnt against it, i would have rather seen something less than an early second rounder but hockey picks are a crapshoot.  Biron's play last night looked similar to Bernie, just the way he was so confident in his blocker pads and angles
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Geowhizzer

Big Ed from January 21, 2007:

Quote from: BigEd76 on January 21, 2007, 06:11:07 PM
In a Courier Times article today, they were saying that Chris Drury or Daniel Briere might be signed away from Buffalo, and Kimmo Timonen might be signed away from Nashville.  They have about $23M to spend out of a $46M cap...

Big Ed (or at least the Courier-Times guy) does indeed know stuff.

BigEd76

It made sense at the time.  Snider loves to spend money and hates seeing his hockey team lose (his basketball team? pfft), and Briere and Timonen hadn't signed extensions with their current teams and were arguably the top forward and defenseman on the market.

BTW, that shutout last night was the first time in 20 years that they shut out the Devils at home...

rjs246

You know, I don't recall my opinion of the trade (though I do know that I would have preferred Giguere), but to start trying to rub Biron in anyone's face right now because they wanted a different goalie is farging retarded. They're 6 games into the season for god's sake. Just settle down, girls.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

u mean we shouldnt start sucking everyones cocks just yet

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on October 19, 2007, 12:19:11 PM
u mean we shouldnt start sucking everyones cocks just yet

Well, at least try to control yourself.  We know how difficult it is for you to stay away from fleshpop.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 19, 2007, 08:29:37 AM
where are the people that when the flyers traded for biron said they gave up to much and that he wasnt a number one goalie??

waiting for the playoffs.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

NGM

I'm really not used to seeing a Flyers defense play so well.  I didn't realize how zesty their D has been until I saw them play on Tuesday.  Vast improvement. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Geowhizzer

A big part of that is Biron.  The defense (especially the younger ones) can jump into the play and be more aggressive knowing that Biron is there is they make a mistake.

Last night on that breakaway - Biron was a rock.  Last year that was a goal whether it was Esche or Nitty.

I thought Biron was overrated (I figured there was a reason to start Miller over him), but he's been nothing but fantastic this season.