07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Season Thread

Started by SunMo, October 04, 2007, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 11, 2007, 01:13:06 PM
i looked on youtube for it and kinda surprisingly its not on there...i have it on a few fight tapes at home...it was way way worse than boulerice last night...it was a full fledged dead on shot to the neck...and sandstrom had a giraffe neck too which is what made it so bad...at the time i literally thought he might be dead

Yup, I thought he snapped his neck and broke it.

This suspension to Boulerice is farging pathetic.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SunMo

the Flyers will never keep him on the NHL roster long enough to serve that, it basically ended his NHL career...i don't really care, he was an irrelevant player
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SunMo

also...part of the reason that Downie's was so severe was supposedly because of how bad MacAmmond was injured...the result of the play is supposed to play a large part into the punishment according to Campbell.

Kesler is fine and was able to skate off the ice...so there goes that reasoning.

say what you want about the hits in question, this league is a joke

i'm just glad this team is back to being hated

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: SunMo on October 12, 2007, 04:15:55 PM
the Flyers will never keep him on the NHL roster long enough to serve that, it basically ended his NHL career...i don't really care, he was an irrelevant player
I dont really care, same as Sun, the Flyers have Cote who i would rather see play anyway.  Plus they have Triston Grant and Grenier down on the farm.  But 25 games is ridiculous.  10games would have been appropriate.  The thing that sucks is this fargs the cap up
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on October 12, 2007, 04:20:46 PM
The thing that sucks is this fargs the cap up

not if they send him down and let him rot

SunMo

Seabiscuit36

Great sig from a from the flyers board
Quote0 game suspension: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFp2dlMrv0c
20 game suspension:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LItMqF6_G0I
3 game suspension: http://youtube.com/watch?v=07lzWueATqw
25 game suspension: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8-Y3x0mr_Ik
The only difference, orange and black jerseys.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

you guys have to understand...but probably never will...that the nhl has had a severe problem with concussions and head injuries....the amount of games being given out here is a direct result of that...you hit someone in the head youre getting a large amount of games...especially with a stick...

i dont understand why you are crying so much about it...its not like it was a fight and they are doing this to eliminate fighting...i myself would be going off...but to hit someone in the face with a stick...thats a bitch move....gone for a year as far as im concerned
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 13, 2007, 01:09:47 AM
you guys have to understand...but probably never will...that the nhl has had a severe problem with concussions and head injuries....the amount of games being given out here is a direct result of that...you hit someone in the head youre getting a large amount of games...especially with a stick...

wrong....

Campbell specifically said they aren't trying to take head shots out of the game, that's what makes this farged up league such a hypocritical piece of shtein

that said, i'll have fun down there tonight

ice grillin you

if thats the case and id be shocked if it is then he should be fired for insubordination...because the directive in the league for two years now has been to come down adn come down ahrd on head shots...that goes for refs as much as the people who give suspensions....do you have a link where he actually said they arent trying to crack down on head shots/injuries...its just unfathomable to me that he would say that...like i said if he did i cant believe he still has a job

also head shots were never in the game so its not a matter of taking them out...theyve always been illegal...but in this new day and age where head injuries are becoming such a problem they are fully enforcing those type of hits

ice grillin you

NHL hits another Flyer hard

By WAYNE FISH
phillyBurbs.com

Apparently Jesse Boulerice did not get the Steve Downie message, or so the NHL believes.

So they sent Boulerice a personal notice yesterday, one that's sure to get his attention.

Downie, a Flyers rookie, received a whopping 20-game suspension for his blow to the head of Ottawa's Dean McAmmond in a preseason game back on Sept. 25.

On Wednesday night in Vancouver, Boulerice cross-checked the Canucks' Ryan Kesler on the jaw in the third period of the Flyers' 8-2 win.

Yesterday, the league came down hard on Boulerice, handing him a 25-game suspension, tying him with the Islanders' Chris Simon for longest in NHL history.

Kesler was not seriously injured on the play or the penalty could have been worse.

In past years, this might have been only a five- or 10-game banishment. But because the league sent out word this summer that hits of this nature will no longer be tolerated, the punishment becomes much more severe.

"This was more than a careless and reckless play, it was senseless," NHL senior executive vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell said after giving Boulerice a hearing in Toronto yesterday morning.

"This was a deliberate cross-check to the face where Boulerice broke the shaft of his stick on Kesler's jaw. Boulerice went out of his way to deliver the cross-check and we will not tolerate this kind of conduct."

As was the case with Downie, the Flyers couldn't put up much of an argument with the outcome.

Neither general manager Paul Holmgren nor coach John Stevens condoned the behavior.

"I did suspect the worse but obviously expected better than this,'' Holmgren said. "We will talk to Jesse about this as well. It was a careless act on his part.

"I've said this before, I think Colin Campbell is in a very difficult position. I respect the work he does and this is a decision that was, I think, based on what the league is trying to do in terms of hits to the head and especially now with a stick involved. It is probably a fair penalty."

Holmgren said the players were shown a video before the season showing what's legal and what isn't. So there shouldn't be any gray area.

"We are trying to tighten up a lot of things in the game,'' Holmgren said. "Hits to the head, whether that means shoulder hits or elbow hits, in Jesse's case stick-related, are things that are not good for the game. I think the league has made their decision and we have to march ahead."

SunMo

i posted Campbell's comments earler in this thread...after the Downie suspension

phillymic2000

SD_Eagle5

Nice home opener. Isles came out strong after getting destroyed 8-1 their last game. Biron was stellar in goal tonight aside from his 1 mistake. I love that they play Pennywise's Bro Hym when they score. Much better than the other crap they used to play. Great start to the season.