The coming financial crisis

Started by Butchers Bill, August 09, 2007, 05:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

That article is basically spot on but written from an obviously negative point of view.

The administration is leaving the door open for bank nationalization and is smart to do it. Many many economists have said that it will be the fastest and most effective way out of this mess. The administration is saying they don't want to do it. In fact they've said it over and over and over again despite the conservative hysteria trying to convince everyone otherwise.

Obama and his administration are leaving their options open on this, which is very much his MO, and the right is predictably working themselves into a lather over it because they don't know how it's going to turn out and want to get a leg up on the criticism no matter what happens. If the banks are nationalized they'll say 'we told you so'. If they aren't they'll say that Obama caved to right-thinking populist pressure. Either way waiting a bit to start receiving payments makes sense.

Now if this waiting period drags on...
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

shorebird

Do we really want the government to control the banks too?! Were is the line going to be drawn as to what is too much friggen' government??

shorebird

This thread should be renamed The Ongoing financial crisis.

rjs246

Quote from: shorebird on April 05, 2009, 10:39:18 AM
Do we really want the government to control the banks too?! Were is the line going to be drawn as to what is too much friggen' government??

I'm just regurgitating what economists have been calling for as a way to fix the economic crises. They know a hell of a lot more about it than I do.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

shorebird

Quote from: rjs246 on April 05, 2009, 10:46:29 AM
Quote from: shorebird on April 05, 2009, 10:39:18 AM

I'm just regurgitating what economists have been calling for as a way to fix the economic crises. They know a hell of a lot more about it than I do.

Without question, me too. It's just the thought of the government controlling the money that scares me.

phillymic2000

Why does it scare you, they are printing and borrowing money, you and I will never be able to repay. Our kids, kids will be picking up this tab, yay enjoy the ride.

shorebird

Quote from: phillymic2000 on April 05, 2009, 07:17:12 PM
Why does it scare you, they are printing and borrowing money, you and I will never be able to repay. Our kids, kids will be picking up this tab, yay enjoy the ride.

Thats if the dollar doesn't collapse into nothing and our whole financial system doesn't go belly up.

ice grillin you

end of the the world definitely
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Las Vegas CityCenter project failing

I love this douchebag:

Quote"The events of the last six months have been our Pearl Harbor, economically," said Bill Thompson, gaming expert and professor of public administration at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. "CityCenter might be too big to fail. If it opens, it's a dramatic gesture that says we're winning, we're not defeated, we're on the way back."

"If it fails, it would be like a second Pearl Harbor."

holyman

the government is borrowing over 40% of all money it spends this year. the interest payments alone is going to sink this ship
let there be something, oh Lord

Diomedes

no problem, your kids and theirs can pay it off dicksucker
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Phanatic

We're paying off the debt from our fore fathers so why should our kids get a free pass. But really Andrew Jackson was the only president I think to pay of the national debt. Modern age? Carter had the best debt to GDP ratio at 32%. Financially the country was in the crapper then so I'm not sure what relevance the debt is as long as your not over 100% debt to the GDP. From LBJ to Carter the ratio was in the 30's as a percentage. Bush will have left us with the highest since the great depression projected at 68%.

During the great depression we were at 93%. So there is a precidence for increasing the debt to GDP ratio in tough fincancial times I suppose. As long as it can be I reduced in the out years.

Either way I attack the national debt premise as a true indicator. I think it is more of a reaction to what is going on then actually a cause...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_debt_by_U.S._presidential_terms

I've been drinking and think I'm really smart right now... Least till I wake up tomorrow morning and read this ish...

Jackson's Paying off the national debt in 1835...
QuoteOn January 1, 1835, the United States paid off entirely its longstanding public debt.  For that year and the next the nation enjoyed debt-freedom, the only two years in its entire history when it held no obligation to creditors.

http://www.business.auburn.edu/~whittdo/THE%20ELIMINATION%20OF%20THE%20NATIONAL%20DEBT%20IN%201835.htm
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

holyman

the ole US of farging A went BK in 1933, or was it 1935? The world bank has owned all of our working asses since then.  So whatever happens all of the social security plus all of your bank accounts are free game. In 7-10 years when this pyramid scheme finally collapses, we're all farged. welcome to being a 3rd world country.
So don't be so cocky you primos.

from your Holy Father
let there be something, oh Lord

General_Failure

Looks like I'm safe, my bank account is already empty!

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

Quote from: holyman on April 09, 2009, 09:17:03 PM
the ole US of farging A went BK in 1933, or was it 1935? The world bank has owned all of our working asses since then.  So whatever happens all of the social security plus all of your bank accounts are free game. In 7-10 years when this pyramid scheme finally collapses, we're all farged. welcome to being a 3rd world country.
So don't be so cocky you primos.

i know im constantly up at night worrying about it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous