Best/Worst liked Dog Breeds

Started by hbionic, July 12, 2007, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reese125

Its not far off Dio.

4 heads in here have or like pittbulls. Im sure there is plenty of temperament studies done that I dont feel like looking up that put pitt bulls as the #1 dangerous dog in america. thats the only stat I need to know to never buy one, especially with kids in the picture. Are there exceptions for some pitts sure, but the reality is they are still extremely dangerous.

Christ...Drunkmasterflex is walking around the base with 1 nostril and Im supposed to cuddle with one of these things? Im good thanks.

ice grillin you

dobermans and german sherpherds are super intelligent dogs that can be trained to attack...theres nothing wrong with them

rotts pitts and the like are mussa minded attack machines that are born with a mean streak built in....essentially sharks with four legs
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2863/are-pit-bulls-really-all-that-dangerous

the way I interpret this:  it's all down to the owner.  it's no coincidence that the most dangerous breeds are the ones kept by the most dangerous people...some will argue these people are attracted to the most dangerous dogs.  I argue that--since humans literally made dogs themselves to serve the purposes they desired--it's the other way around, and the breed isn't what's dangerous, it's the people.

also...chow chows....bad breed right there...don't let one near you kid

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Well, I'm convinced. IGY owns a siamese cat and was one traumatized by a retriever that barked at him through a fence.

The only dogs (actual dogs, not expensive rats) I've ever had problems with were my sister's mastiff and my dad's white sheperd. These are dogs that made it very clear they didn't like me, and I've left them alone whenever possible. I've never met a vicious pitt, but I don't really go out of my way to find out if dogs are vicious.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: reese125 on January 21, 2011, 02:15:49 PM
4 heads in here have or like pittbulls.

For the record....I don't have one, never had one and likely never will.  I think they are great dogs, however I'll probably never have a pit bull because I have a preference for mutts from the pound.  Plenty of people out there who spend a lot of money on purebred dogs when there's plenty of great pups in shelters who need a good home. 

Im sure there is plenty of temperament studies done that I dont feel like looking up that put pitt bulls as the #1 dangerous dog in america. thats the only stat I need to know to never buy one, especially with kids in the picture. Are there exceptions for some pitts sure, but the reality is they are still extremely dangerous.

Just so you know, nearly every story about a pit bull attack is when the dog attacks someone outside of his/her family.  I honestly don't recall hearing a story about a pit (that was well taken care of by it's family) turning on any member of the family, especially the kids.  Of course, they have attacked strange kids on the street, but I would tend to argue that (a) the dog wasn't well cared for and (b) the kid did something (unintentionally most likely) that set an alarm off in the dog's head.

Christ...Drunkmasterflex is walking around the base with 1 nostril and Im supposed to cuddle with one of these things? Im good thanks.

DMF said it was an English Bulldog, not a pit.

Also, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind to the point where you'll want to go get a pit.  I'm just trying to squash these awful myths and rumors about the dog.  They aren't for everyone, but they aren't anywhere near as villainous as they are made out to be. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on January 21, 2011, 02:19:22 PM
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2863/are-pit-bulls-really-all-that-dangerous

the way I interpret this:  it's all down to the owner.

famous first and last words from good pittbull owners

1st words - just before the attack on the victim: "oh dont worry he wouldnt hurt a flea"

last words - just after the attack "i swear to god officer hes never bitten anyone in his life"

reese125

http://www.wwltv.com/home/Pit-bull-attacks-4-year-old-boy-114273399.html

ironically enough this just happened yesterday. kid goes up to fence to talk to another child, pit bull "thinks" hes protecting the property and owner. end result: 64 stitches and a life of the elephant man.

sorry, but this doesnt scream Im not dangerous at all.

rjs246

Just say "I'm scared of pit bulls" and be done with this awful conversation.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 21, 2011, 02:27:02 PM
Plenty of people out there who spend a lot of money on purebred dogs when there's plenty of great pups in shelters who need a good home. 

hmmmm, purebred dogs ?

part of this issue, not only with pit bulls but it sure leads to some bigger problems with them, is the fact that there is so much damn inbreeding. you get farged up dogs that seem to have problems like biting and health issues.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

reese125

mussa

So a fence dividing the properties had a hole in it, big enough for the kid to stick his head through. Nobody thinks its odd that a hole that big was left open when both owners obviously new the other had a Pitbull, which is known world wide for being one of the most territorial breeds out there? Yeah, let's blame the dog, nobody wants to take responsibility for a hole in a farging fence. I think right away you have to question the logic and responsibility of both parties. Poor kid, but someone should of blocked the hole or told the kid never to do that. Idiots...
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

ice grillin you

Quote from: reese125 on January 21, 2011, 02:55:25 PM
I'm scared of pit bulls.

who isnt

thats like saying im scared of aids

reese125

rjs246

I appreciate the attempt none the less.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it