Beer Drinkers Challenge

Started by Father Demon, May 06, 2007, 04:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Demon

I'm off to a slow start since the Wal-Mart's in Ocean Isle Beach NC have a crappy-ass beer selection.

1. Bud Ultra. Sucks.  But it's what my wife bought our first day here because it "is cheap".
2. Bud Light. Again.  It's better that the Ultra, but it's still not what I like to drink on a regular basis.
3. Michelob.  Best of the AB brands so far.
4. Yuengling Black & Tan.  Ahh..  here we go.  A nice porter with an "aged" taste to it. 
5. Yuengling Lager. Nothing special for you East Coasters, but for us midwesterners, it's a good beer.  And impossible to find out where I live.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

ice grillin you

me and sun had some delicious genny cream ale at our phils tailgate
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Quote from: Father Demon on June 05, 2007, 07:06:45 PM5. Yuengling Lager. Nothing special for you East Coasters, but for us midwesterners, it's a good beer.  And impossible to find out where I live.

ha.  it never occured to me that you don't have decent cheap beer.  we're swimming in it.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

11. Red Stripe. The further removed from my college days I get, the less I like Lagers. (Miller Lite and the other light nonsense shtein that I jokingly tout as fantastic don't count. They're basically alcoholic water.)
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MadMarchHare

Quote from: rjs246 on June 02, 2007, 08:30:10 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on June 02, 2007, 02:17:06 PM
OK, I said I was in so here is my progress report for the first 36 hours of the challenge:

1. Miller Lite: tastes great, not filling, got me drunk.
2. Pabst Blue Ribbon: the local pub just switched from Miller Lite to PBR so I'll be drinking much more of this going forward. Consistent. Inoffensive. Produces no hangover. HUMONGOUS mud butt the following day.
3. Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale: It's farging India Nevada India Pale Ale. You've had it. It's tasty. Nothing to write home about.
4. Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat: Crap. A light wheat beer that could have been acceptable except for the second rate blueberry taste and Lysol aftertaste.
5. Victory Prima Pils: Completely drinkable but really just tastes like Miller Lite. Mild, delicious but more expensive than Miller Lite so no reason to ever buy it.
6. Victory Golden Monkey: 9.5% alcohol. And you can taste it. It almost tastes like a good Belgian beer, but the extra alcohol adds a little bit of a barley wine taste to it. Wouldn't drink more than one or two at a clip for taste. For drunk would drink several.
7. Duvel: If you like Belgian beer, this is one of several that should be part of your standard fare. Light, delicious and easily drinkable but with plenty of flavor.

And an update...

8. Harpoon IPA: Honestly, most IPAs taste the same to me. They aren't my favorite and I don't like drinking a lot of them at once, but a couple at a time is just about right.
9. Redhook ESB: I don't even know what ESB stands for, but it's $2 a bottle at my bar. So it gets the tonsil treatment.
10. Sam Adams Summer Ale: So Sam Adams beers have a lot of flavor, which makes them enjoyable to drink with a meal and less enjoyable to drink en mass. Anyway, most of the Sam Seasonal flavors are shtein, but Sam Summer is pretty drinkable.

ESB = Extra Special Bitter - a very British concoction where they overhop the beer.  I like it, but it's not for everyone.  For bitter, I prefer Sam Adams Scottish Ale.
Anyone but Reid.

mussa

1. Guinness: A great beer. Serve it warm, serve it cold, serve it in a can or out a tap. This beer never fails. While some think it's "heavy or filling", it's actually not at all. Very creamy and easy to drink. You can pound Guinness after Guinness and feel like running to the next bar with no problem. Grab a shot glass and pour half Baily's Irish Cream and half Jameson Irish Whiskey and fill a pint glass with half Guinness. Drop the shot into the beer and chug fast, no sipping. Tastes like a milk shake and kicks like an mule. Irish Car Bomb is this drink. Any beer that can be combo'd with Irish Whiskey is alright in my book.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

rjs246

Are you listing that as # 12 because you wish you were me? Don't be embarrassed, you aren't alone.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Do "home brews" count for this challenge or does it have to be a name brand beer?  A buddy of mine made some the other day and I tried it last night.  I would never recommend this beer touching anyone's lips ever again as it tasted like Rosie O'Donnell's fermented colon dipped in hot sauce. 

phattymatty

counting the different beers you've had is the weakest thing ever.

Father Demon

Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 06, 2007, 09:10:52 AM
Do "home brews" count for this challenge or does it have to be a name brand beer?  A buddy of mine made some the other day and I tried it last night.  I would never recommend this beer touching anyone's lips ever again as it tasted like Rosie O'Donnell's fermented colon dipped in hot sauce. 

Homebrews count, as long as it's a 12 ounce serving.  I'll be counting lots.

Phatty is jealous he's not on the inside of the cool circle.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Father Demon on June 06, 2007, 10:50:42 AM
Homebrews count, as long as it's a 12 ounce serving.  I'll be counting lots.

Very well then. 

8.  Dave's Home Made Gut Wretching Sphincter Ale - Slap a "Mr Yuck" sticker on it and keep it out of reach of everyone. 

mussa

Quote from: rjs246 on June 06, 2007, 07:04:36 AM
Are you listing that as # 12 because you wish you were me? Don't be embarrassed, you aren't alone.

Why would I want to be like a white guy named Russell?
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

rjs246

Because I'm dead sexy and have 12 pound balls.

By the way, I agree with Matt that this is gay, but I like it, so I'll continue to be gay until one of you gaywads makes it too gay for me to continue gaying it up. Gay.

12. Dos Equis Special Lager. Meh.
13. Heineken. Crap crap crap skunked crap.

Let them eat bootstraps.

rjs246

By the way, mixing a random beer or two into my normally steady diet of miller lite is giving me atrocious gas.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

I picked a buddy of mine up at the airport the other night and on the way home we stopped off at this English pub.  Anyway, on a whim I decided to drink several Boddington's. 

Why is it that they taste great at a pub but they taste like antifreeze anywhere else?