2007 Flyers Offseason Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, April 10, 2007, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

breaking someone's neck and ending their career is totally the same as a charge
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

its worthless and irrelevant to refer to past suspensions...times change and like i said the league is really trying to make a statement regarding head injuries...something mccammond had a history of

plus downie has long been known as a punk vs bertuzzi having an impeccable record prior to his punch

also re: bertuzzi if moore doesnt break his neck he probably gets five games...the 20 games was because of the severe injury....truth be told bertuzzi got off light and if mcammond never plays again or is out for months and months then so will have downie
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

from what i've read, mcammond will be ready to go when the season starts or soon after

MDS

20 games is severe but it sends a message to these douches to stop head hunting and play the game right. i like it.

also, i read through espns nhl preview and was able to name 1 player or 14 teams and 4 coaches (including the flyers). hooray.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 28, 2007, 02:19:00 PM
its worthless and irrelevant to refer to past suspensions...times change and like i said the league is really trying to make a statement regarding head injuries...something mccammond had a history of

plus downie has long been known as a punk vs bertuzzi having an impeccable record prior to his punch

also re: bertuzzi if moore doesnt break his neck he probably gets five games...the 20 games was because of the severe injury....truth be told bertuzzi got off light and if mcammond never plays again or is out for months and months then so will have downie
There is nothing in the bylaws about headshots.  They have been talking about it for years but never address it, now they go overboard.  I agree that headshots have no place in the game unless your hitting Darcy Tucker. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

well you thought the hit was legal from the get go and dont believe any suspension is warranted so i can see why youd go crazy over 20 games

rjs246

Quote23 Games
Gordie Dwyer of the Tampa Bay Lightning, for abusing officials and leaving the penalty box to fight in a pre-season game against the Washington Capitals in September, 2000.

How can anyone with a penis not love hockey?
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 28, 2007, 02:32:31 PM
well you thought the hit was legal from the get go and dont believe any suspension is warranted so i can see why youd go crazy over 20 games

I thought 2-3 would be more than enough to set a standard. 

I'm buying you this havas
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

SunMo

Tim P talked with Colin Campbell after the decision was made:

QuoteHe told me, "This boy left his feet, targeted the head and stalked the player. [McAmmond] had no expectation of this hit and [Downie] drilled him. We felt we saw retribution in the cards once [Downie] was hit himself.

"We're not saying shoulder hits to the head are illegal. Only if all the other criteria come into play. We don't want to take shoulder hits to the head out of the game."

I argued a point with Colin. As long as shots to the head are not outlawed, there is always going to be a "gray" area in hockey as to what is a legal hit and illegal hit. And there is going to be concussions.

"Tim, if we take out hits to the head, do we ban fighting then?" Campbell asked me. "I don't want to eliminate hitting from hockey. Shoulder hits to the head are still a legal body check. What we don't want to do is having players skating around with their heads down and looking for the league or referees to protect them."

Before Campbell made his ruling, he canvassed opinion from the NHL's competition committee. He said the consensus from the committee was that the Downie hit represented the "exact" hit the NHL wants to eliminate from the game.

Flyers took the high road here. Here's general manager Paul Holmgren's reaction:

"My reaction is that it seems like a lot of games, but Colin Campbell is in a very difficult position and we respect his position and his judgment in this case. We will live with it. I was with Steve during the hearing and was with him after the verdict. He is very upset and understandably so. He understands the ramifications and he is prepared to live with this decision.

what a farging joke of a league

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: SunMo on September 28, 2007, 04:41:45 PM
Tim P talked with Colin Campbell after the decision was made:

QuoteHe told me, "This boy left his feet, targeted the head and stalked the player. [McAmmond] had no expectation of this hit and [Downie] drilled him. We felt we saw retribution in the cards once [Downie] was hit himself.

"We're not saying shoulder hits to the head are illegal. Only if all the other criteria come into play. We don't want to take shoulder hits to the head out of the game."

I argued a point with Colin. As long as shots to the head are not outlawed, there is always going to be a "gray" area in hockey as to what is a legal hit and illegal hit. And there is going to be concussions.

"Tim, if we take out hits to the head, do we ban fighting then?" Campbell asked me. "I don't want to eliminate hitting from hockey. Shoulder hits to the head are still a legal body check. What we don't want to do is having players skating around with their heads down and looking for the league or referees to protect them."

Before Campbell made his ruling, he canvassed opinion from the NHL's competition committee. He said the consensus from the committee was that the Downie hit represented the "exact" hit the NHL wants to eliminate from the game.

Flyers took the high road here. Here's general manager Paul Holmgren's reaction:

"My reaction is that it seems like a lot of games, but Colin Campbell is in a very difficult position and we respect his position and his judgment in this case. We will live with it. I was with Steve during the hearing and was with him after the verdict. He is very upset and understandably so. He understands the ramifications and he is prepared to live with this decision.

what a farging joke of a league
Seriously, wtf did they suspend him for.  He didnt use his elbow, he used his shoulder.  They have no case other than the bitches in Ottawa and dirty tampons like Jason Blake cried about it.  The NHLPA should rip this thing to shreds if they just use those quotes alone. 

Geowhizzer

I figured Downie would be suspended, but I had guessed it would be five games, maybe as many as ten to make an example.  Twenty is just crazy.

Seabiscuit36

PhillyPhreak54

They suspended him for that hit? That is the first I've seen it due to the travel and shtein, but a lengthy suspension? Gary Bettman and Colin Campbell are a couple of ninny's.

SD_Eagle5

Flyers/Rangers games should be good this season, there were 4 fights tonight: