2007 Flyers Offseason Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, April 10, 2007, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: King Cole on July 01, 2007, 07:46:03 PM
The Rangers supposedly signed Drury along with Gomez.

Man they are pathetic. It is going to be so funny when they don't even make the playoffs, let alone contend.
How many cups do Drury and Gomez have between them?  These were easily the best signings the Rags have ever had.  2 leaders who produce in the playoffs. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

The Rangers posted both of them on their official roster page:

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/roster.asp

Wow.  I don't see how they can afford both of them plus Jagr & Shanahan.

Whatever, though.  The more the merrier.   Should make for some epic battles.

ice grillin you

i cant believe they got drury from the west coast...and gomez....the advantage ny teams have is ridiculous...and that goes for any sport
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 01, 2007, 08:05:33 PM
If Pitkanen realizes his potential, the Flyers will regret this trade for years.

He hasn't thus far.  What makes you think he'll discover greatness in Edmonton?

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on July 01, 2007, 08:14:43 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 01, 2007, 08:05:33 PM
If Pitkanen realizes his potential, the Flyers will regret this trade for years.

He hasn't thus far.  What makes you think he'll discover greatness in Edmonton?

I'm a Philadelphia sports fan.  Do I need anything more?

Also, the Flyers do not have a good track record of developing defensemen.  Who was the last big-time defenseman that developed on the Flyers?

It's not a lock (hence the "IF"), but if he does develop, the Oilers will have a bona fide #1 defenseman, something the Flyers have been lacking since Eric Desjardins' prime.

Rome

Who cares what he does in Edmonton?  He had ample opportunity in Philly and proved he couldn't cut it.

C'est la vie.  Time to move on.

Geowhizzer

A question for the actual Flyers/hockey fans (in other words, shut up MDS):

The Flyers have collected a bunch of talent this offseason.  They've sacrificed a young, talented and struggling defenseman and several draft picks for established players (some still young, some older).  They've spent a lot of their cap space, current and future, on help that will cost them big money in the future, perhaps long after they're actually benefitting the team.

To me, it almost seems as if Holmgren is loading up for a Cup run in the next year or two, going for broke with a team that had the WORST record in the NHL this year.

Where do you think this team stacks up in the Eastern Confrerence as is?  Are they a playoff team?  A possible division champion?  Where do you think they finish (1-8 or out)?  Do they have a realistic chance of actually challenging for the Cup?  Or are these moves of a team frantically trying to keep waning interest of a fan base that began to stay home in large numbers as the team limped through the schedule?

On the surface, these moves bring the Flyers forward quite a bit from last season.  I'm not convinced they are a bona-fide contender next year, and may have actually mortgaged the future quite a bit for these short term gains.

BigEd76

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on July 01, 2007, 08:12:54 PM

Shanahan is a UFA and the Rangers may not be able to sign their RFAs...

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 01, 2007, 08:25:42 PMWhere do you think this team stacks up in the Eastern Confrerence as is?  Are they a playoff team?  A possible division champion?  Where do you think they finish (1-8 or out)?  Do they have a realistic chance of actually challenging for the Cup?  Or are these moves of a team frantically trying to keep waning interest of a fan base that began to stay home in large numbers as the team limped through the schedule?

Snider teams don't sit around for 3 years and rebuild.  I think the Flyers needed to shake things up from the disaster of last season and did.  I think they're better than the Islanders, and you can never count the Devils out of anything but they got hit hard today and will be playing in a half-empty new arena.  The Penguins and Rangers are still better as of now...

Geowhizzer

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 01, 2007, 08:26:02 PM
Quote from: Jerome99RIP on July 01, 2007, 08:12:54 PM

Shanahan is a UFA and the Rangers may not be able to sign their RFAs...

[igy] There is no salary cap for the Rangers. [/igy]

ice grillin you

to be fair geo edm did go for janne niinima and he was the same bust that youre saying pitkanen could be....but i saw both and imo and of course i could be wrong but janne is not pitkanen....i honestly thought and i still kinda do that joni will win a vezina....basically what im saying is that i think this trade is at best a huge risk and at worst a mistake

BigEd76

FWIW, Keith Jones thinks Pitkanen doesn't have the brains and will never live up to his promise.....said there's only so many ways and times that you can teach something to a guy before giving up...

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 01, 2007, 08:25:42 PM
A question for the actual Flyers/hockey fans (in other words, shut up MDS):

The Flyers have collected a bunch of talent this offseason.  They've sacrificed a young, talented and struggling defenseman and several draft picks for established players (some still young, some older).  They've spent a lot of their cap space, current and future, on help that will cost them big money in the future, perhaps long after they're actually benefitting the team.

To me, it almost seems as if Holmgren is loading up for a Cup run in the next year or two, going for broke with a team that had the WORST record in the NHL this year.

Where do you think this team stacks up in the Eastern Confrerence as is?  Are they a playoff team?  A possible division champion?  Where do you think they finish (1-8 or out)?  Do they have a realistic chance of actually challenging for the Cup?  Or are these moves of a team frantically trying to keep waning interest of a fan base that began to stay home in large numbers as the team limped through the schedule?

On the surface, these moves bring the Flyers forward quite a bit from last season.  I'm not convinced they are a bona-fide contender next year, and may have actually mortgaged the future quite a bit for these short term gains.

Not better than the Penguins, Sens, maybe Thrashers. The Flyers usually are good against the Thrashers straight up though, but they really choked in the playoffs. I just have a hard time seeing an Atlanta team as a contender.

Flyers are better than the Rangers, Devils now though. It is all slipping away for the Devils, but at least they got their Cups.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

ice grillin you

igy] There is no salary cap for the Rangers. [/igy]

haha...well done

but thats the skins and lil danni

still tho if theres anyone that doesnt believe that ny teams have a distinct advantage in every major pro sports league (no that doesnt count arena league easy) then youre being naive...theres a reason the head offices of all four major pro johnsons are in mahatten

ice grillin you

FWIW, Keith Jones thinks Pitkanen doesn't have the brains and will never live up to his promise.....said there's only so many ways and times that you can teach something to a guy before giving up...

thats a fair assesment but hes going on one year where the team was the worst in the league and ignoring all the promise that joni showed in his other two years...so for how long and for how "many times" did they really try and teach him where he didnt listen...to me it sounds as tho keith is pushing the company line here

NGM

I'm not disagreeing with you, but what do you think the advantage for New York is in salary capped leagues?  The cap was invented to prevent big market teams to pull Yankees bullshtein.  New York isn't even the most popular city for pro sports according to ESPN radio, San Diego is. 

Despite all that, I still agree with you for some reason. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.