2007 Flyers Offseason Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, April 10, 2007, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Years are big, $ is lower than I thought though.  I imagine the contract is frontloaded so they'll be able to get out of it if he doesn't pan out. 

Either way, I think he's unquestionably the most talented of the C's that were available.  He's a very good player and I think he'll fit in well.

NGM

Damn thats as long as DiPietro's contract.

I know I should be happy but I just didn't want the Flyers to throw this kind of money at this guy. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

SunMo

Quote from: NGM on July 01, 2007, 03:55:49 PM
Damn thats as long as DiPietro's contract.

I know I should be happy but I just didn't want the Flyers to throw this kind of money at this guy. 

DiPietro got 15 years, i think.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think you could go into next season with Carter as your top center.  Briere might not be the ideal #1 center, but he's an established guy who can score.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Geowhizzer

I would have preferred Gomez, someone who could make his wings better.

Briere has a monster career year, one that is a large amount over his normal production.  I fear that he won't just fall short of those numbers, but won't even approach them.

SunMo

Tim P. is saying 8 years, 52 million

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 01, 2007, 03:59:52 PM

Briere has a monster career year, one that is a large amount over his normal production.  I fear that he won't just fall short of those numbers, but won't even approach them.

He averaged over a point a game two years ago as well, though he missed 25 games.  The fact of the matter is the new NHL is geared towards players like Briere.  He's small, agile, has good vision but can score as well.  He had over 30 goals last year, but still dished out 60 assists.  My guess is he'll have between 25-30 goals next year with 50 or so assists.  He should fit in well with Gagne and he instantly improves the PP unit and is also decent in a shootout.

SunMo

even though the contract is long, the cap hit is only 6.5 a year, which is under what everybody thought he'd average per year.

one scary thing is that the contract has a full no movement clause, which could be trouble towards the end of the contract.

Rome

Nothing official yet.  I'll wait until I see him put the jersey on at the Wach Center.

NGM

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 01, 2007, 03:59:52 PM

Exactly, I really don't see him being a set-up man for Gagne who needs one. 

Either way, the hockey season can't get here soon enough. 

SunMo

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on July 01, 2007, 04:06:54 PM
Nothing official yet.  I'll wait until I see him put the jersey on at the Wach Center.

TSN and ESPNews have both reported it with TSN giving contract numbers

Rome

Let's just say I have my meatcicle out but I haven't started stroking it yet.

:-*

dis12

Quote from: NGM on July 01, 2007, 04:08:52 PM

Exactly, I really don't see him being a set-up man for Gagne who needs one.  

Either way, the hockey season can't get here soon enough. 

and exactly who has been Gagne's set-up man recently (ex-Forsberg)?   Briere's play should work wonders in turing around this entire team, not just as gags setup man.

of course I pick this year to give up season tix.
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

NGM

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on July 01, 2007, 04:11:34 PM
Let's just say I have my meatcicle out but I haven't started stroking it yet.

:-*

Because he hasn't been spotted at the NovaCare Complex?

Rome

NGM

Sounds remarkably french, and is also my father.

Responding to dis, when is the only time Gagne reached 50 goals?