2007 Flyers Offseason Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, April 10, 2007, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dis12

latest word is the Flyers will trade Pitkanen to Edmonton for rights to Gomez.
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

PhillyPhreak54

1989...jesus farg that makes me feel old.

hockey nicknames anger me

I noticed when watching CSN this morning that Jeremy Roenick's teams (CHI, PHI, PHX, LA) were the top 4 teams to draft. What this means? Nothing other than interesting me.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: dis12 on June 23, 2007, 09:41:25 AM
latest word is the Flyers will trade Pitkanen to Edmonton for rights to Gomez.

That rumor has been floating around for the past day or two, Gomez is still a Devil even though the Oilers have been granted permission to talk to him. Regardless, trading Pitkanen for him would be retarded. I'd hope Holmgren would call their bluff considering they have no intention of signing him. Even if we lose him its not like we were only a Gomez away from the Cup.

SD_Eagle5

Flyers traded one of their 3rd rounders today and a 2nd next season to Carolina for their 2nd - they chose defenseman Kevin Marshall

Rome

The NHL set the cap for next season at $50.3M.

QuoteNHL salary cap rises to $50.3 million next season

Associated Press

Updated: June 29, 2007, 3:17 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The NHL salary cap will rise to $50.3 million per team next season, an increase of $6.3 million from last season, the league and players' union announced Friday.

It's the second increase under the collective bargaining agreement that ended the yearlong lockout in 2005.

The key issue in the lockout that forced the cancellation of the 2004-05 season was the owners' insistence to include a salary cap and the players' association's unwillingness to accept it. The union finally gave in, and has had a financial windfall.

Teams don't have to spend up to the ceiling, but each club's payroll must be at least $34.3 million. The range from top to bottom is always $16 million.

The first season following the lost year featured a cap of $39 million, and that figure rose to $44 million for the 2005-06 season.

Cool.  That gives them $9.6M left to sign Gomez and/or a combination of others.

Seabiscuit36

Rumor is that Gomez is the #1 target  :yay
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

how much under the cap are the Isles and Rangers? Rumor is that's where he's going. I'll be happy with any of the top 3 centers.

ice grillin you

i dont want any of the centers i dont think...id rather get a another defenseman or two for less money..their defense is still mad suspect
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Hmmm...

QuoteSabres' Briere to test waters; free agency starts tomorrow

Daily News Wire Services

Co-captain Daniel Briere has broken off negotiations with the Buffalo Sabres, deciding to test the free-agent market when it opens tomorrow.

"We've made the decision to go to July 1 and sit down and seek all options at that point," agent Pat Brisson told the Associated Press yesterday.

The Flyers, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers and Montreal Canadiens are among numerous teams with salary-cap space expected to make offers to Briere, especially with the announcement yesterday that the cap is expected to rise about $6.3 million to $50.3 million.

Briere particularly has been linked with the Flyers, where he could rejoin his friend and former teammate, goalie Martin Biron. The Canadiens are also high in mix; Briere is a French Canadian, who grew up 2 hours from Montreal.

Briere's decision, which came a day after he traveled to Los Angeles to meet with Brisson, will make the player one of the most sought-after free agents. He's expected to attract offers above $6 million, coming off a career-high season in which he finished 10th in the NHL with 95 points (32 goals, 63 assists).

The Sabres waited more than a month after their season ended before finally making Briere an offer Wednesday, reportedly a 5-year, $25 million deal.

"We haven't closed the door on Buffalo at all," Brisson said. "There's no animosity; there's a lot of respect there."

Buffalo stands to lose both co-captains this offseason, with Chris Drury also eligible to become a free agent.

Briere appeared in his first career All-Star Game this season and earned the game's MVP honors. He also produced in the clutch, scoring 10 game-winners over the past two seasons.

Rome

ESPN conducted a poll and one of the questions was where a certain someone might end up.  Here's the results:

Quote4) Where will Daniel Briere land?

35.8%   Philadelphia Flyers
29.4%   Other
18.2%   Buffalo Sabres
16.6%   New York Rangers

:deion

SunMo

there are some reports that Brierre has signed with the Habs and that the Flyers and Rangers are fighting it out over Gomez
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

NGM

Quote from: SunMo on July 01, 2007, 02:16:08 PM
there are some reports that Brierre has signed with the Habs and that the Flyers and Rangers are fighting it out over Gomez

I guess thats to be expected, I read awhile back he wanted to go back to Canada. 

Gomez is the one I wanted the whole time.  Throw a max deal at him or whatever it takes.  Either way, Devils fans are getting screwed hard by one of their stars which will be some solace if the Flyers don't land Gomez. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

The BIGSTUD

Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

SunMo

SunMo

TSN is saying EIGHT years, between 6 and 7 million

http://www.tsn.ca/