2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Quasimoto

I'm going to the Nats/Phillies on Saturday.  I wouldn't be surprised by a loss.  The Nats aren't that bad, really.  :'(

Rome

PoopyfaceMcGee

ice grillin you

whats really ironic is that on the same night the phils gag for one run the team they are chasing hits a three run walk off johnson

ice grillin you

SunMo

but i thought Charlie kept the clubhouse so loose?

at least he'll keep them close with his brilliant managerial moves
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

yeah as much as the players shtein the bucket in sept the bottom line is with a real manager they lead the division right now

PhillyGirl

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 20, 2007, 08:29:51 AM
whats really ironic is that on the same night the phils gag for one run the team they are chasing hits a three run walk off johnson

Right, I guess they had none of those against the Mets.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome

With a real pitching staff this team is 10 games up in the Eastern Division.

Manuel's a fargtard.  No one is disputing that.  But the real problem was, is and always will be pitching with that bunch.

ice grillin you

oh they play great when they are seven games back...the problem is they cant get the job done when its gets to a game or two

Rome

Which comes down to pitching.  Again.

If Myers doesn't piss another game away last night the Phillies have a fighting chance to win that game.  Yeah, the hitters shtein the bed last night, but come on... they've been smoking the ball for a week now.  Once in a while you need your pitching staff to shut another team out and the chances of that happening with that staff is nearly zero, especially with Gawd pitching semi-hurt.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on September 20, 2007, 09:12:42 AM
Which comes down to pitching.  Again.

If Myers doesn't piss another game away last night the Phillies have a fighting chance to win that game.  Yeah, the hitters shtein the bed last night, but come on... they've been smoking the ball for a week now.  Once in a while you need your pitching staff to shut another team out and the chances of that happening with that staff is nearly zero, especially with Gawd pitching semi-hurt.

They held the Cards to 1 run through 9 innings.  The pen may have "folded" in extras but let's not forget that they were used heavily the night before and did an outstanding job.  I believe they pitched 11 scoreless innings on Tuesday. 

I'm not defending the pitching at all because throughout the year they've blown plenty of leads with poor pitching.  But when your pitching staff holds a team to 3 runs through 20+ innings then they have more than pulled their own weight.  The pitching was more than good enough for them to win last night and the offense couldn't give them that 1 extra run they needed despite multiple scoring opportunities. 

Rome

Once in a while you need the pitching staff to throw a shutout to win.

If Myers hadn't pissed another game away the Phillies would have had a decent shot to win.

Those are the two statements I made.  Which of those was incorrect, Sassy?

Blaming the offense for coming up short last night is ridiculous because they've pounded the snot out of the ball all year long.  They have more come-from-behind wins than any other team in MLB at this point.  You can't come from behind in games without offensive firepower and they have it in spades.  It's unrealistic to expect a team to produce runs in bunches night after night but is it really so unrealistic to expect a pitching staff to blank another team on occasion, especially on the rare occasion when the offense isn't doing much?

I don't think so.

The pitching is horrendous night after night - but sure, let's blame the offense for losing a game on the rare occasion when the pitching staff only gives up two runs.