2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

he had fraying on the rotator cuff last year..everyone in the majors knew something was wrong with him....except the phillies
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 11, 2007, 05:12:15 PM
So he was one horny eight-year-old.

You suck at math.  It actually makes him a horny not-quite-seven-year-old.

BigEd76

ice grillin you

full labrum tear
partial rotator tear
for freddy

done for year

PhillyPhanInDC

Kendrick called up, will face Chicago
Phillies Notebook

For the past year, Kyle Kendrick has been turning heads in the Phillies organization.

The 22-year-old right-hander came to the Phillies as a seventh-round pick in the 2003 draft out of Mt. Vernon High School in Washington. In his first three seasons, he struggled to find his role until late in 2005 when he flourished at short-season Batavia.

In 2006, Kendrick began his season at Lakewood and after he went 3-2 with a 2.15 ERA, moved to High-A Clearwater where he didn't miss a step throwing 130 innings with a 9-7 record and 3.53 ERA.

All that had him earmarked for Double-A Reading this year, but not to big-league camp in Clearwater and the snub gave him that needed extra motivation, according to Phillies director of minor leagues Steve Noworyta.

"This year, going into spring training we didn't invite him because he still has a year left and I think that really helped him," Noworyta said. "He wanted to be there and I saw a certain fire out of him when he wasn't invited.

"He came into the organization a little immature. Last year, during the All-Star break in Clearwater, he stayed around for some extended work we were doing and that showed me a lot."

Kendrick has shown so much that on Wednesday, as Freddy Garcia's situation resulted in a stint on the disabled list, the youngster will make the jump from Double-A Reading -- where he was 4-7 with a 3.21 ERA in 12 starts and 81 1/3 innings -- to the big club, as he'll get the start against the Chicago White Sox at Citizens Bank Park.

Kendrick, who turned down a football scholarship to Washington State to play quarterback, has a fastball that ranges from 90-to-92 miles per hour, a hard slider and a changeup, all of which he uses effectively. He'll also be the second member of the roster to make the jump from Double-A to the big club this season, the other being Michael Zagurski who has looked solid in the bullpen to this point.

"You take each kid separately," said Noworyta, who points out Kendrick's mound presence as his biggest asset. "We're (in Clearwater) for camp but I think everyone is excited about this. You work so hard with them that they begin to feel like your kids. I'm sure at some point we'll all be huddled around a computer to see how it goes."

Sox in Garcia's corner: Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen follows his former players, in particular Garcia and Phillies center fielder Aaron Rowand.

While Rowand has played well, Garcia's struggles have bothered Guillen, who is a good friend of the starter that is on the 15-day disabled list after Monday's MRI results showed pathology of his labrum and fraying of his rotator cuff. A medical course of action will be decided after he gets a second opinion.

Garcia is also just 1-5 with a 5.90 ERA and equipped with a fastball measured by an hour glass.

"I'm concerned as a friend," Guillen said. "He's frustrated -- he wants to help those guys. They don't know him -- we know Freddy. He's a horse. He wants to pitch no matter what. He's a winner. When Freddy is healthy he's something special. Hopefully the 15 days will get him healthy.

"He doesn't want anyone to take the ball away from him. He wants the ball. He wants to pitch and help those guys win. If you watch Freddy pitch for the first time and you don't know him, you think, "What the (expletive deleted) is that?' He's walking around, looking into the stands, staring at the catcher. But he's a winner. He knows what he's doing."

Gentleman Jim: Jim Thome made his grand return to Citizens Bank Park on Monday and while he wasn't scheduled to play -- interleague games at National League parks don't use the designated hitter -- he spoke well of his experiences in Philadelphia from 2003 through 2005.

"I know that when I was here I had a wonderful time and I appreciate the organization," Thome said. "I appreciate the fans, the support they gave me when I came here. It was really a special time for me because I had played a long time in Cleveland and I came here and they took me and my family in. I'll always appreciate what they did for us.

"I would say the 400th (home run) or just the intensity every day (is what I remember most). The intensity when you play here and what it brings. When you come to the ballpark, the fans, the intensity, the city, the passion -- just the everyday attitude the fans give you here, that as a player you want to return."

From the pen: Carlos Ruiz sat out with a sore left wrist but probably won't go on the DL. "He got hit when the guy swung the bat and the follow-through hit him on the (left) wrist," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said. "He's very sore and it's swollen some. He can play if he has to. I rested him yesterday. I think as the game wore on he started having problems with it." . . . Chase Utley remains the leader at second base in the All-Star voting. Jimmy Rollins has re-entered the top five in the fourth spot behind Jose Reyes (New York), J.J. Hardy (Milwaukee) and Rafael Furcal (Los Angeles). . . . Manuel doesn't foresee Brett Myers returning to the rotation once he gets off the disabled list with a strained shoulder. "I don't know exactly where our pitcher would be right now. That's a possibility but at the same time I foresee Myers at the backend of the bullpen. I like him as a closer. I think his career sets up to be a closer, too. It takes nothing away from him, I think he'll be very successful with that."

-- Michael Radano

-I'm getting the feeling this Kendrick kid is going to get dismantled.

-If Guillen has such a hard on for Freddy, maybe they might take him back next year. What a farged pooch the Garcia thing was.

-Jim Thome is the farging man.

-Charlie Manuel wants Myers to continue to close when he comes back with Garcia officially history? Happy day.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

ice grillin you

If Guillen has such a hard on for Freddy, maybe they might take him back next year.

according to gargano hes out for at least a year

-Charlie Manuel wants Myers to continue to close when he comes back with Garcia officially history? Happy day.

it was stupid to put him in the bullpen to begin with...its insane to continue to do it now

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

BigEd76

The dumbest thing was not checking him out before the trade and simply relying on what Kenny Williams said.  I'm not upset over the loss of Floyd or Gonzalez.  Neither one was expected to be a part of the Phillies' future anyway.  Gonzalez is nowhere near the level of Hamels.

Myers?  Hey, if you like Alfonseca and Gordon closing your games while you curl into a ball whimpering, be my guest...

ice grillin you

I'm not upset over the loss of Floyd or Gonzalez.  Neither one was expected to be a part of the Phillies' future anyway.  Gonzalez is nowhere near the level of Hamels.

so gonzalez is not as good as hamels therefore he wasnt in their future plans??...what are you talking about...he was very much in their future plans and was hoped to be a future piece of their rotation for a long time...whether he turns out that way is another question...theres no guarantees...but best believe hes a very good prospect and was in their plans

Myers?  Hey, if you like Alfonseca and Gordon closing your games while you curl into a ball whimpering, be my guest...

starting pitching is much more important than a closer...its not a chicken or egg thing...the starting pitching definitely comes first...always has in baseball...you dont take your opening say starter out of the lineup and make him a closer...other guys can get three outs (alfonseca has done very well, mesa can do it)...not many people can get major league hitters out for 7 innings

remember trying to get thru last year with gavin floyd and ryan madson??

think of it this way

myers>>alfonseca

myers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any minor league pitcher the phils plug into the rotation

Rome

Keeping Myers in the closer's role KNOWING that Garcia won't be back should be the kind of decision that gets everyone involved in making it fired.  No, not fired... I meant SHOT TO DEATH.

It's pure unadulterated folly.

Seabiscuit36

Floyd had to go ED, i think everyone knows that.  Gonzales on the other hand has top 3 starter potential.  Would we be better off having him in the minors yes or no?  Would we be better bringing him up now instead of Kyle Kenderick?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

BigEd76

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 12, 2007, 02:23:22 PMso gonzalez is not as good as hamels therefore he wasnt in their future plans??...what are you talking about...he was very much in their future plans and was hoped to be a future piece of their rotation for a long time

I never said they got rid of him because he isn't as good as Hamels.  You're spinning my words.  Gonzalez is an OK prospect but he's not a superstar #1 pitcher and has had control issues, which is why the Phils didn't hesitate to give him back to Chicago in the deal.  They have better pitchers coming up through the system, even though they're a few years away.  We gave away an OK prospect and a bust for a piece of junk.  I'm not going to cry about it.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: FastFreddie on June 12, 2007, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 11, 2007, 05:12:15 PM
So he was one horny eight-year-old.

You suck at math.  It actually makes him a horny not-quite-seven-year-old.

Dang, I thought it said 1966.  My eyes are beginning to go.  Damn middle age.

PhillyPhreak54

Keep Myers in the BP.

Signed,
Brett Myers Fanboy #1

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 12, 2007, 03:22:31 PM
Keep Myers in the BP.

Signed,
Brett Myers Fanboy #1

I concur.