UFC / MMA

Started by MURP, February 04, 2007, 11:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

reality television has also blown up in that time period...coincidence?...i think not
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

i wish you would blow up

How you truly say boxing is what it was in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's?  The sport it dead, there is no dominant and likeable heavy, and outside of a Manny fight, i havent been entertained in quite a while.  Dont act like MMA just happened, its been around and was the shtein in the early to mid 90's, i loved watching old tape copies of matches.  Boxing cant keep up with MMA now mainly because the sport has killed itself, where as MMA has expanded and continues to have good cards, hell the TV show on Spike has great matches that Boxing could only wish for. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

i barely watch boxing nor do i care about it....but its still infintely better than that lowest common denominator mMA stuff which is basically human dogfighting

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MURP

boxing does have its own reality show, "The Contender", that started 2 months after the UFC Show. 

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Drunkmasterflex

Fedor signed with Strikeforce after his manager failed to negotiate a deal with UFC.  His manager basically wanted part ownership of UFC.  :-D

Dana White was willing to meet all his demands except for that one. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Feva

Anderson Silva = G.O.A.T.

Last night versus former LHW Champ Forrest Griffin:

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

reese125

watching that was like watching a Mike Tyson vs Spinks fight...total embarrassment

at one point I was thinking it was staged it was such a mismatch. I mean Silva felt so bad for him he offered to help him up after he knocked him down the first time. then to make matters worse, he knocked him out on one foot backing up... causing Forrest to run out of the ring in total shame

horrendous.

Diomedes

I don't know about shame.  Griffin is no joke himself and shouldn't be mocked simply because he got whupped by what amounts to the most amazing fighter we've seen in a very long time.  I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that Silva is flat out amazing.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

reese125

oh no doubt Dio, Griffin has won some great fights against some serious contenders but he ran (hell almost sprinted) out in shame, no handshake or congrats...nothing

and Silva is just that---ridiculously talented

mussa

Griffin got schooled like a child. Silva is a man among boys. Are him and GSP in the same weight division?

BJ Penn looked solid too back in his weight class. Flourian didn't have a chance
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: mussa on August 10, 2009, 01:56:58 PM
Griffin got schooled like a child. Silva is a man among boys. Are him and GSP in the same weight division?

BJ Penn looked solid too back in his weight class. Flourian didn't have a chance

GSP is a welterweight, Silva is normally a middle weight. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

MURP

Griffen got beat so bad at first i thought he threw the fight.   what the hell ever happened to him being able take a punch?   and then he just runs out of the arena?  lost respect for that.

Feva

I read somewhere (don't remember where) about Griffin dislocating his jaw either before or early on in the fight... and when he got hit, he just stopped because the pain was too much for him.  If that's true... that could explain why he got dropped by a freakin' jab.

Jaw or no jaw though... Silva was embarrassing the guy and he had zero chance of winning the fight.

Quote from: mussa on August 10, 2009, 01:56:58 PM

Dana has thrown it out there a time or two about a "Super Fight" between the two of them... but first saying that GSP would have to clean out his division like Silva has... which he's pretty close to doing.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews