UFC / MMA

Started by MURP, February 04, 2007, 11:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

Just announced at the fight Brock Lesnar to UFC. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

SD_Eagle5

He's really making the rounds...NFL, WWE, UFC

Drunkmasterflex

He actually has a shot to be successful in UFC though.  Silva dominated Franklin again.  IMO he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world right now.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

MURP

Silva is a beast.  Dude is so precise with his strikes. 

Freakin Sylvia won again.... atleast he attempted to make it interesting with some strikes.  big oaf.

Bonnar is back in contention again.

SunMo

Sylvia is the main reason i decided NOT to buy the PPV last night, i don't care if he won, i can't stand his fights
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Feva

2 - Fights for Franklin vs. Silva
+2 - Broken noses
------
4 - get about fighting him again
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MURP

Quote from: FastFreddie on October 20, 2007, 09:55:44 AM
I heard UFC isn't going to let Couture retire.  I wonder how they plan to enforce that.

its not about them not letting him retire, it's about not letting him fight elsewhere.  He still has 2 fights under his UFC contract. 

MURP

Quote from: MURP on October 20, 2007, 01:21:34 AM
all the rumors are pointing towards Liddell / Wanderlei.

It is official now.  They will fight at UFC 79.    Dec 29th.

Randy Coulture is having a press conference at 4:30 pm Thursday.

Drunkmasterflex

I really hope Chuck beats him.  I believe the idea that he is done is a little premature.  He lost to Rampage which there is no shame in and Jardine was just well prepared. 

Any word on when Lesnar will make his debut?

RezRob

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on October 21, 2007, 01:05:41 AM
He actually has a shot to be successful in UFC though.  Silva dominated Franklin again.  IMO he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world right now.
Fedor Emelianenko
This guy is regarded by most as the best.
Official GreenBay Correspondent...

MURP

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on October 23, 2007, 11:11:50 PM

Any word on when Lesnar will make his debut?

-  first rumor I have read is UFC 81 :   Feb. 2, 2008 ,   Las Vegas   opponent TBD

-  UFC signed on through 2011 with SPIKE TV for additional seasons of the ultimate fighter etc.

-also some info on the Coulture press conference:

Randy Couture, the UFC heavyweight champion who abruptly resigned from the organization earlier this month, said his problems with the UFC's current ownership and President Dana White began as early as Zuffa LLC's initial purchase of the organization in 2001. In the end, a growing number of those problems led to his resignation.

The 44-year-old UFC hall-of-famer discussed the laundry list of items during a Thursday afternoon press conference at his training center in Las Vegas.

Couture said a major reason he tendered his resignation was because of the offer the UFC made to then-free agent Fedor Emelianenko. Couture said he was upset to learn that the UFC was offering Emelianenko a signing bonus that was worth more than any amount he — an 11-year UFC veteran and champion — had ever received for a fight.

He said he felt disrespected since he had spent so much time and effort supporting and promoting the organization.

"That was the final slap in my face," Couture said.

Couture said he was also disappointed that he didn't receive an additional bonus after his UFC 74 victory over Gabriel Gonzaga. Couture said "locker-room bonuses" are standard practice for the organization's marquee fighters. In fact, he said he received one after his UFC 57 loss to Liddell and one after his victory over Tim Sylvia earlier this year at UFC 68. But he didn't get one after his third-round TKO of Gonzaga, and he never got an answer when he finally asked.

"I didn't understand why I got overlooked and didn't get the bonus in my last fight," Couture said. "I don't understand why I never got a response."

Couture emphasized that the bonuses are solely at the discretion of UFC management but that he was confused why he would get one in March but not in August.

Couture also addressed a report from Yahoo! Sports that stated he was making between $3.25 million and $3.75 million per fight during his main events with Sylvia and Gonzaga. Couture passed out a copy of his bout agreements that stated he got $250,000 per fight. He said that with his cut of the pay-per-view revenue, which accounted for about $500,000 to date for each bout, he actually earned approximately $750,000 per fight — nearly $3 million less than what was reported.

Couture said he first spoke to UFC officials about his intentions of resigning about two-and-a-half weeks before he left to shoot a movie in South Africa.

"I got no response," Couture said. "I waited two-and-a-half weeks. I saw them all face-to-face again at the Anaheim show (in September). I had my letter of resignation at that (original) meeting and could have tendered it right then... but I wanted to give them an opportunity to respond to the things that I stated as the issues for me.

"I got no response."

As far as the status of his contract, Couture said it is his understanding that his contract expires in nine months. During a media conference call that the UFC scheduled simultaneously with Couture's press conference, White explained that the contract has no expiration date.

As for a possible return to the UFC, Couture said it's possible but hinted that it's unlikely. He said he spoke to White, as well as UFC owners Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta, Wednesday afternoon and that they had asked him about returning to the organization.

"I just think it's time for me to move on," Couture said. 

RezRob

Quote from: MURP on October 25, 2007, 10:42:18 PM
Couture said a major reason he tendered his resignation was because of the offer the UFC made to then-free agent Fedor Emelianenko. Couture said he was upset to learn that the UFC was offering Emelianenko a signing bonus that was worth more than any amount he — an 11-year UFC veteran and champion — had ever received for a fight.

He said he felt disrespected since he had spent so much time and effort supporting and promoting the organization.

"That was the final slap in my face," Couture said.

Check out the Pride fight between Fedor and Randleman if you haven't seen it!
Official GreenBay Correspondent...

Drunkmasterflex

Fedor may be the shtein, but all of these guys from pride that were supposed to come over to UFC and dominate have for the most part gotten their asses handed to them.  I really can't wait to see Lesnar fight, I think he could be the most dominant heavyweight the UFC has ever had. 

Feva

Yeah, I look forward to seeing Lesnar myself.

Somewhere in this thread... somebody (I think it was MURP) posted the video of his MMA debut.  Have no idea how good this other guy is or how much experience he has, but Brock ran right through him.  Completely dominated him.

Here it is again.

If Lesnar gets with a good camp to train and learn with... look out.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews